Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home versus Amazon Echo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nls2013

Did anyone find a way to get Google Home to call your phone (in Ireleand)? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

nls2013 wrote: »
    Did anyone find a way to get Google Home to call your phone (in Ireleand)? Thanks

It takes US numbers only for the moment, I reckon this wont come until it is officially releasued in irl/eu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

What is the delay with the release in Ireland? Is it just US at the moment?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jones wrote: »
    What is the delay with the release in Ireland? Is it just US at the moment?

Delay?!! It only came out in the US two months ago! And they never did give a release date for the EU/UK, never mind little Ireland.

It took the Echo over a year to get from the US to the UK and still isn't officially available in Ireland.

Having said that the rumour is it will hit the UK/EU by Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

nls2013 wrote: »

Is this for the Where's my phone ifttt applet?

You can set it up to send a text message to you. Not as good as the ring my phone but a workaround that works, until the phone call rolls out over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jgsmurf

Great post as I was trying to decide between the two. On reading this I decided to go for the GH and after two weeks of ownership I'm reasonably happy with my decision.
    For anyone looking to get one from the US I used a service called Big Apple Buddy bigapplebuddy.com . They will source technology for you, check it and ship it via DHL. Works out a little more expensive - they charge 50us dollars for the service - but it's reassuring to have someone looking after the purchase for you and communication is excellent with them. Also you will have to pay customs and there is an admin charge by the courier to handle the importation and VAT on the admin charge, this all came to 57 euro in my case.
    Also note that you can play random music from Google play on the GH but if you want to play a specific song from your own library you will need a permium subscription. I didn't realise this until I had my GH and I'm quite disappointed with Google on this one.
    Also remember if you get one from the US it will have the US electrical connector so you'll need an adapter.
    GH works great with my Samsung Smartthings network too to provide voice activation on my smart things. Configuration couldn't be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

where can you pick up Google Home in Ireland ? I don't see it on amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Google sell it directly in the UK. Amazon are not likely to sell the Google home any time soon at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

aindriu80 wrote: »

Nor will you find Amazon echo on Google store. Hint: they are rival products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

aindriu80 wrote: »

Use parcel motel/wizard and Curry's
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/google-home-hands-free-smart-speaker-white-10161441-pdt.html#srcid=11026

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Should the Show work just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mike1994d

Anyone know the cheapest store to buy GH in Ireland? Or should I wait until the official release. is 120 GBP a bit much for it from Currys? Great post btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

mike1994d wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest store to buy GH in Ireland? Or should I wait until the official release. is 120 GBP a bit much for it from Currys? Great post btw.

The sterling rate is too good not to buy from the UK. Just go with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I impulse-bought a Google Home and the natural consequence is I'll probably need to impulse buy lots of other stuff to justify my wisdom to others!

In terms of initial bang-for-buck, what should be the first purchases? I was thinking Harmony elite (with hub) and a few Hue stand alone lamps (Iris/Bloom range)?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

druss wrote: »
    In terms of initial bang-for-buck, what should be the first purchases? I was thinking Harmony elite (with hub) and a few Hue stand alone lamps (Iris/Bloom range)?

If you like music, a Spotify Premium or Google Music subscription is a most IMO.

If both a Harmony Elite and Hue lights and they are both great. But to be honest, I mostly control them with the physical remote (Harmony) and Hue light switches and motion sensors for the lights. Probably only use voice control of those about 20% of the time.

Do you have a smart thermostat for your heating? I find that to be one of the biggest wins.

bk wrote: »
    If you like music, a Spotify Premium or Google Music subscription is a most IMO.

If both a Harmony Elite and Hue lights and they are both great. But to be honest, I mostly control them with the physical remote (Harmony) and Hue light switches and motion sensors for the lights. Probably only use voice control of those about 20% of the time.

Do you have a smart thermostat for your heating? I find that to be one of the biggest wins.

I have Spotify premium. So, initially I'd be leaning on that and Tunein for audio stuff.

Main tv is a Sony Bravia android (with Chromecast built in). There is also a soundbar, Xbox, Nintendo Switch and Steam Link to rationalise.

Second tv has a chromecast attached to it, and a few other consoles. No smart thermosat, but will give that some thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

We use our Hue lighting the most with Google Home, followed closely by Chromecast. A sub to Netflix and Spotify is definitely worth getting.

The Harmony integration isn't great. The most convenient way of using it is by using IFTTT, otherwise you're asking Google Home to ask Harmony to do something. The remote is far more convenient. The Harmony itself is still a great purchase, but I wouldn't consider it essential to using the Google Home

OldBean wrote: »
    We use our Hue lighting the most with Google Home, followed closely by Chromecast. A sub to Netflix and Spotify is definitely worth getting.

The Harmony integration isn't great. The most convenient way of using it is by using IFTTT, otherwise you're asking Google Home to ask Harmony to do something. The remote is far more convenient. The Harmony itself is still a great purchase, but I wouldn't consider it essential to using the Google Home

I'm seeing that there were some issues with the Sony android range (and recalling that these have GoogleCast, rather than Chromecast built in). Hopefully that's now surmountable!

I'm living abroad at the moment, so hence I'm thinking of a few stand alone Hue's rather than multiple screw in bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Yep, good thinking on the bulbs. I have some of the Hue Go's and find them great. Haven't had to use the battery on them much, but they're perfect for nicely lighting a room. As you've figured, the bulbs won't be usable if/when you move if you're going transatlantic, etc.

Plus side, I've used the same GHomes (And Harmony hub/remotes) both in Ireland and the US and there's no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

druss wrote:
    Main tv is a Sony Bravia android (with Chromecast built in). There is also a soundbar, Xbox, Nintendo Switch and Steam Link to rationalise.

I've this tv too.
    The Google home will cast too it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where can you buy Google home stuff? Looks to me like google doesn't sell here.

Do I have to buy from the US?

e: sorry - I read the OP and replied. Should have read to the end. I see I can buy from the UK.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The Nvidia shield and some sony Android TVs have voice assistant running​ now too. So your tv would be another station, audio grouping not working on mine yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

seeing as this is a comparison between the 2 devices, not a general chat about house automation, could I ask if the Amazon echo has improved since the initial review ?

I'd initially tend towards Amazon Echo/ Dot seeing as it has Sonos integration (and I presume fire tv), but if the usability is so much better with google then its hard to not go for it.

seeing as this is a comparison between the 2 devices, not a general chat about house automation, could I ask if the Amazon echo has improved since the initial review ?

I'd initially tend towards Amazon Echo/ Dot seeing as it has Sonos integration (and I presume fire tv), but if the usability is so much better with google then its hard to not go for it.

Some of the skills on the Echo have certainly improved, but overall I feel the software/AI side hasn't improved much, it an still very frustrating IMO. The GHome has improved at an incredible pace and I feel it is probably a better long term bet, due to Googles expertise in AI and software.

But of course no guarantees, we are trying to predict the future here.

I put it this way too you. I've my Echo in the bedroom which we use for music/spotify all the time. But when it comes to asking questions, like the weather, etc. I've actually found myself stand up and walk to the living room * to ask GHome instead!

* Apartment, so living room is only 5 meters away, not as crazy as it might sound! :D

I've actually decided to get a GHome Mini for the bedroom and I'll move the Echo to the kids room. I think that says a lot. Not that Alexa is bad as such, but I find GHome just a lot better, more fun and less frustrating overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

does echo beat GH hands down in 2018?
    The reason I have for choosing Echo would be because Elexa is easier to say but asking then google follow up info and questions is way better still?

And because of smart device purchases deals in amazon might have the items/bulbs etc that work better with Echo on offer more than the ones that work well with GH?

I dont really need it for anything more than a few plugs and bulbs right now.
    Can anyone tell me What do you find yourself using most in your devices? and things that bug you about the devices that might steer you to regretting picking?

I dont know if Google has the built in smart hub and quick auto set up as echo plus?

bigmike99 wrote: »
    does echo beat GH hands down in 2018?

No, Google Home is still far superior. I have both. Google Home, GH Mini x 2, Echo and Echo Dot.
    The reason I have for choosing Echo would be because Elexa is easier to say but asking then google follow up info and questions is way better still?

Alexa and Hey Google are equally easy to say, they are both three syllable phrases. Though if you use "Echo" instead you have a point, that is only two syllables.

Googles services and question answering is still far superior due to use Google search rather then the very poor Bing which Amazon use.
    And because of smart device purchases deals in amazon might have the items/bulbs etc that work better with Echo on offer more than the ones that work well with GH?

Pretty much all smart home devices work equally well with both Alexa and Google Home. Amazon does tend to promote things as supporting Alexa, but if you check you then find it also supports GH too. So you still benefit from the same deals.

I'm a big Amazon shopper and I haven't found any issues with getting deals from Amazon for devices that work with GH.
    I dont really need it for anything more than a few plugs and bulbs right now.
    Can anyone tell me What do you find yourself using most in your devices? and things that bug you about the devices that might steer you to regretting picking?

Probably Spotify on Google Home. But it also gets used throughout the day for turning on/off the TV. Turning on/off lights, turning up the heat, etc.
    I dont know if Google has the built in smart hub and quick auto set up as echo plus?

GH has quick auto-steup too, works very well.

The Echo Plus is the only device with a "hub" in it. But it is really poor and you would be better off using a dedicated hub like a Hue hub and SmartThings hub.

It sounds like you have already talked yourself into going with Alexa. That is fine, go with it if you really want, it works ok. But as a person with both, I find GH to be much better, much less frustrating. Of course that could change in future, but for now I'm much happier with GH.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Casting to multiple devices is one thing I use my GHome for pretty regularly. I have a Mini in the room, and a few Chromecast audios around the house. Nice to play music/radio and have it in multiple rooms as I wander around my mansion.

What definitely swayed me to Google Home was Google Music. I've had it for years now, and Alexa just doesn't support it.
    The reason I have for choosing Echo would be because Elexa is easier to say
    Ironic typo ?

bk wrote: »
    No, Google Home is still far superior. I have both. Google Home, GH Mini x 2, Echo and Echo Dot.

Alexa and Hey Google are equally easy to say, they are both three syllable phrases. Though if you use "Echo" instead you have a point, that is only two syllables.

G
    It sounds like you have already talked yourself into going with Alexa. That is fine, go with it if you really want, it works ok. But as a person with both, I find GH to be much better, much less frustrating. Of course that could change in future, but for now I'm much happier with GH.

Ya i kind of did have my mind made up because the echo is 69.99 (25 quid off for prime members this week)
    but since i have got used to using google assistant on new android and bose headphones i thought id look into GHome instead.

Great answers to all my questions, appreciate it, still undecided though!

I dont want to have to buy a seperate Hub. can echo(without plus hub) not change colours of bulbs without one?
    I gotta read the other FAQ threads tbh i dont even know the basics! I did look through the threads but not fully yet. I must read a few low star amazon reviews first too.

• Advertisement

Casting to multiple devices is one thing I use my GHome for pretty regularly. I have a Mini in the room, and a few Chromecast audios around the house. Nice to play music/radio and have it in multiple rooms as I wander around my mansion.

What definitely swayed me to Google Home was Google Music. I've had it for years now, and Alexa just doesn't support it.

Ironic typo ?

I dont get why its Ironic? just a misspelling!
    I donno, In my head Alexa just sounds sexy and cooler to say rather than okay google?!:o
    GAssist sounds smoother in follow up replies from what i saw on youtube.

They work both the same for spotify?
    I dont use google music, but another reason i was leaning towards Echo is because i have amazon Prime and Prime music (although i havent used prime music yet!)

EDIT: it seems amazon want 9.99 more a month for unlimited prime music! i thought it was all free with the prime subscripton like prime tV is

Advertisement