Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home versus Amazon Echo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

bk wrote: »
    You can request Virgin's new router that has WAY better wifi performance then the Horizon box for free here:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/besthub

got mine yesterday and have it set up, thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you would have to use bridging with a new router

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Patww79 wrote:

Yes .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That Google onhub I picked up on adverts is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 nls2013

I thought I read somewhere that Google Home can call your mobile for you if you can't find it.. can't remember where I read it though.. Is this true or did I dream it?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

If anyone has the home, ca you try saying "play 88.5 RTE radio one on Tunein radio"
    This works with google now on android

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

nls2013 wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that Google Home can call your mobile for you if you can't find it.. can't remember where I read it though.. Is this true or did I dream it?

Install IFTTT (If This Then That) on your phone and set up an applet to do that for you. You can also configure it to set your ring volume to max (on Android anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Patww79 wrote: »
    That worked on Home there.

Apparently "play 88.5" will also work for Rte radio 1 on home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

You can supposedly setup custom voice commands for the Echo using IFTTT. Is it possible to do the same for the home? Has anybody experimented with custom commands at all? I'm getting a dot shortly (actually it's in a press at home but the wife won't give it to me for another month).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nls2013

That applet says "Only US based numbers are supported." Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

darth_maul wrote: »
    If anyone has the home, ca you try saying "play 88.5 RTE radio one on Tunein radio"
    This works with google now on android

Yup, great tip, saying just "Play 88.5" work for me, most add to the FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

nls2013 wrote: »
    That applet says "Only US based numbers are supported." Am I missing something?

Ah, sorry hadn't gone too deep with it. I just have it set up to set my ring volume to max, and I then use the house phone to locate. Lots of applets in there that you can customise though, so there might be other ways of getting it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

google store has the home on sale tomorrow or $99

Im hoping to order one, and get it delivered to a relative in the us, but not sure how to get around the issue of the store not letting me order from here, even though I want to deliver it to a us adress (I changed the address in google wallet to the us one, but still only get the option to purchase EU released products from the google store)

Any advice ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

google store has the home on sale tomorrow or $99

Im hoping to order one, and get it delivered to a relative in the us, but not sure how to get around the issue of the store not letting me order from here, even though I want to deliver it to a us adress (I changed the address in google wallet to the us one, but still only get the option to purchase EU released products from the google store)

Any advice ?

Maybe buy it from Best Buy instead, they will have it for $99 on Black Friday. Have it delivered to your relative. I suspect Best Buy will be less picky.

Instead have your relative buy it and pay them via paypal, etc.

The only slight annoyance with it is that you have to say "on speaker" every time you change something.

For instance if you say "next" it will stop playing on the speakers, you have to instead say "next on speaker". A lot of people are complaining about this, so I suspect it will get fixed eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

bk wrote: »
    Maybe buy it from Best Buy instead, they will have it for $99 on Black Friday. Have it delivered to your relative. I suspect Best Buy will be less picky.

Instead have your relative buy it and pay them via paypal, etc.

Just nabbed one on Best Buy at that price. Had to give them a US state and zip-code for my debit card so maybe I'm not in the clear yet but they seem to have accepted the order. Getting a pal to ship it here.

Looking forward to getting it - thanks for all the updates on it BK.

• Advertisement

Just nabbed one on Best Buy at that price. Had to give them a US state and zip-code for my debit card so maybe I'm not in the clear yet but they seem to have accepted the order. Getting a pal to ship it here.

Looking forward to getting it - thanks for all the updates on it BK.

Same here, except I used PayPal, so no issues with the cc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great thread, thanks thanks for all the input. I think I've made up my mind that Google Home is the one I want. I already use Google Now a lot of my phone - reminders, voice actions etc so I think it will be much better for this. However does anyone know when it will be available to buy in the UK/Ireland? If you look on ebay they are €200! How much will they be here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

I have friends in Florida on holiday. Any chance they can buy it over the counter in best buy or Walmart? The Google one.

Zascar wrote: »
    Great thread, thanks thanks for all the input. I think I've made up my mind that Google Home is the one I want. I already use Google Now a lot of my phone - reminders, voice actions etc so I think it will be much better for this. However does anyone know when it will be available to buy in the UK/Ireland? If you look on ebay they are €200! How much will they be here?

Buy one via Walmart for 99 dollars and ship it over.

I was told by google that perhaps late December early January for a eu launch .

Told this when I rang them to ask how o could order via The Us google store as a "gift for a US based relation"

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Same here, except I used PayPal, so no issues with the cc

Oh, wouldn't let me use Paypal as I don't have a US account.

Oh, wouldn't let me use Paypal as I don't have a US account.

I set one up using a relatives address, but was able to use my irish paypal account as a payment method!

I was told by google that perhaps late December early January for a eu launch .

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It works really well in Europe out of the box, at least in English speaking countries and they seem to be quickly fixing the one or two issues (such as Chromecast Audio's not working), a clear sign they are getting ready for it.

I think it will depend on person to person, I use it every day. This is what a typical days usage looks like:

- In the morning I carry the little monster into the living room and say "Turn on TV" which turns the TV onto Cbeebies to distract the little monster for a few minutes as I make a coffee!
    - As I make a coffee I ask it "what is the weather like?" and "what's my calendar for today?"
    - Through out the day music gets played by myself or the OH from Spotify. To be honest I think you need to have either a spotify premium or Google Home subscription and like music to get the most out of it.
    - When it gets dark "turn on the living room lights"
    - When it gets cold "turn on the boiler" (this one is new).
    - When we are cooking the timer frequently gets used.
    - Once the little monster is put to bed:
    -- "Dim living room lights"
    -- "Turn on shield TV" (for some Netflix/youtube watching).
    - When going to bed:
    -- Turn off living room lights
    -- Turn off tv
    -- Turn off boiler (if on)

The last three I will hope to integrate into one command once yonomi supports Google Home.

On their own, GHome and Echo are probably only of very limited use, you really need a music sub and some HA tech to really make use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mel123

People getting it delivered here, how much are best buy charging in shipping? And how much is customs potentially?

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    People getting it delivered here, how much are best buy charging in shipping? And how much is customs potentially?

Best buy don't deliver to Ireland. People are having it delivered to family and friends in the US and then they are posting it to Ireland.

Advertisement