Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for Smartlocks for front doors?

Options
  • 08-11-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

I know there are quiet a few Smartlocks like Lockitron, August etc but they all seem to be geared towards fitting over an existing thumb lock which my experience is not something we have many of in Ireland!

Are there any others out there more suited to the Irish doors and are available for around the €100 mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Yale have a good offering. However my personal opinion on smart lock while very cool and handy is that they would be more susceptible to hacking/cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Caillte wrote: »
    Yale have a good offering. However my personal opinion on smart lock while very cool and handy is that they would be more susceptible to hacking/cracking.

Are hackers really they type that burgle houses?

ted1 wrote: »
    No, but they are the type to mess around with things, find a vulnerability and report it. Then the type of people who do burgle houses use the vulnerability to gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Just look at theft of cars and how they were hacked/cracked... Plus would you property be insured using these devices?

Caillte wrote: »
    Just look at theft of cars and how they were hacked/cracked... Plus would you property be insured using these devices?

Yes it would. Tell me more about car theft, be cause most robberies from cars are smash and grabs.

Unless your house has wheels I wouldn't worry about house theft.

insurance is always a great thing that people throw out in conversations and then walk away and leave it open.

well a quick Google verifies that it doesn't affect your insurance:

https://www.directline.com/home-insurance/home-and-garden/what-are-smart-locks

As it stands they don’t currently affect your home insurance as long as they work in conjunction with a mortice deadlock, your front door will be considered just as secure as a standard key-operated lock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As it stands they don’t currently affect your home insurance as long as they work in conjunction with a mortice deadlock, your front door will be considered just as secure as a standard key-operated lock.

Having an additional mortice deadlock in order to satisfy your insurance would rather defeat the purpose of a smart lock.

I don't think it's a case that a smart lock invalidates your insurance, it's the lack of an approved lock that's the issue.

OP, I think Danalock have a Eurocylinder product which might suit your lock (but not your budget).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes it would. Tell me more about car theft, be cause most robberies from cars are smash and grabs.

Thieves have used high gain antennas to repeat the beacon on smart fobs for modern German cars. This is very defcon and not very Jimmy with a crowbar.

All it takes is some entrepreneur to find an exploit and stick a device on Alibaba.

Graham wrote: »
    Having an additional mortice deadlock in order to satisfy your insurance would rather defeat the purpose of a smart lock.

I don't think it's a case that a smart lock invalidates your insurance, it's the lack of an approved lock that's the issue.

OP, I think Danalock have a Eurocylinder product which might suit your lock (but not your budget).

having a mortice lock is a current requirement for insurance.....

having a mortice lock is a current requirement for insurance.....

Correct

Which essentially means the insurance requirements make a smart lock pretty pointless.

Correct

Which essentially means the insurance requirements make a smart lock pretty pointless.

Not really, we have a mortice we tend to only use it when going away for an extended period.

Having a smart Lock will make no difference to our insurance.

• Advertisement

Not really, we have a mortice we tend to only use it when going away for an extended period.

That sounds like an invitation to have a claim rejected.
    Having a smart Lock will make no difference to our insurance.

Agreed (see previous posts) but not having/using an approved lock will.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ted1 wrote:

My car was broken into a year ago. They jammed the signal from my remote to lock it with a box left in a hedge
    My intruder alarm picked it up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is it not a 3 point turning lock you need ?
    And could the smart lock not meet the insurance company's requirements?

Maybe I'm being overly cautious but I went digging a few months ago to see if we could use a smart lock instead of driving up and down the country twice a week to let tradesmen into a house. My interpretation is a smart lock alone wouldn't meet the policy conditions.

Taken directly from policy notes, probably goes into more detail in the policy itself.
    MINIMUM SECURITY REQUIREMENTS CONDITION
    It is a condition precedent of liability under the Policy that:
    1. the Home is fitted with the following security devices:
    (i) All external doors are fitted with mortice deadlocks or deadlocking rim latches.
    (ii) All French doors and/or patio doors are fitted with appropriate security locks.
    2. whenever the Home is left unattended
    (i) All doors and windows are closed and fastened
    (ii) All door locks as stated above are in full and effective operation
    (iii) All keys are removed from locks and kept in a secure place

FWIW I'd be delighted to be wrong and have the insurers confirm they're happy to cover a house secured by a smart lock alone.

Stoner wrote: »
    Is in not a 3 point turning lock you need ?
    And could the smart lock not meet the insurance company's requirements?

They may do, the Yale Linus has been coming for a while. Could be part of the delay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For me the one area where I doubt I'd ever go smart would be a main door lock,

I'll smarten everything up inside the house, but on the outside, I put my trust into good old fashioned locks!

I will also admit though that I know feck all about smart locks!

How are they unlocked? Mobile device? I assume they need a power supply? Would they have a battery for redundancy? How long would it last?

How are they unlocked? Mobile device? I assume they need a power supply? Would they have a battery for redundancy? How long would it last?

There's battery and transformer/mains varieties available.

For the most part unlocking is via a mobile app locally or remotely, a few can be operated by a keyfob.

Some have battery backups, or touch points where a battery can be held to power temporarily others have a key override.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For the most part unlocking is via a mobile app locally or remotely

What if you lose your phone, or the phone battery dies?

Is there any sort of back up for that scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

This system looks like it could be automated, it includes a deadbolt, standard key option if power fails and complies to EN standards. It would require a new door installation of course. Internorm offer it with their doors. Thoughts?

http://www.winkhaus.com/en/door-locking-system/motorised-door-locking-system/bluemotion

Looks great the finger print reader would be great to keep kids in

• Advertisement

Is there any sort of back up for that scenario?

Key or key code (pin number) for some of them.

Most of the products currently on the market have an alternative unlock scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I really want this Z-Wave lock.
    http://www.vesternet.com/yale-smart-living-keyfree-connected-smart-lock-3146

It works with the multi point locks common in uPVC doors in Ireland, the type you have to pull the handle up on to lock.

However after contacting several suppliers none of them will ship to Ireland as it requires professional installation. :mad::mad:

beanian wrote: »
    I really want this Z-Wave lock.
    http://www.vesternet.com/yale-smart-living-keyfree-connected-smart-lock-3146

It works with the multi point locks common in uPVC doors in Ireland, the type you have to pull the handle up on to lock.

However after contacting several suppliers none of them will ship to Ireland as it requires professional installation. :mad::mad:

eBay is worth a look, only place we could find them when we were thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

eBay is worth a look, only place we could find them when we were thinking about it.
    Did you get one in the end?

beanian wrote: »
    Did you get one in the end?

Decided against it when it looked like it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the insurance company without an accompanying manual lock.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Decided against it when it looked like it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the insurance company without an accompanying manual lock.
    I got mine through Oval Aluminium ( http://oval.ie/) when I was getting my new front door . Passed insurance inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

What type do oval install?
    Any pics?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

PATJOE wrote: »
    What type do oval install?
    Any pics?

When you say what type , do you mean door or lock . Perhaps PM me your contact details and I'll get in touch .

sharkman wrote: »
    When you say what type , do you mean door or lock . Perhaps PM me your contact details and I'll get in touch .

Why the secret ? Why not just what brand and model it is.

• Advertisement

Why the secret ? Why not just what brand and model it is.

No secret Ted , as the conversation was about the Yale lock I would have thought it obvious .

Advertisement