Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a smart thermostat for my oil boiler?

Options
  • 08-11-2016 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

My oil boiler is the Grant euro flame 50/90. According to Netatmo and Nest neither my boiler nor the wired controls are compatible.

Anyone with this boiler using something 'smart' to control their heating?
    The existing control is a Grasslin Towerchron QE1.
    Pic of wiring attached.
    Cheers!
    R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yeah, you can. The Netatmo is just a switch.
    I have it installed on my OFCH (which wasn't compatible according to their website) in place of a 24 hour clock.
    Take a look at the last few pages of the Netatmo thread that Davy just moved in from Bargain Alerts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

d31b0y wrote: »
    I have it installed on my OFCH (which wasn't compatible according to their website) in place of a 24 hour clock.

+1

We have 2 oil boilers (one Grant), one controlled by a Nest, the other controlled by a Hive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've had X10 switches and lightwaverf switches that as the guys above said they were interchangeable with a 24hour time clock.

The x10 is just a switch

The lightwaverf unit is a switch with a boost button, but you also need the programmable timer unit. This is a wireless stat so it's good as you can add a stat that you can place where ever you want.

The timer is linked the wired in switch

They work as standalone units but for internet connectivity you need the lightwaverf hub

That's about 90 euro. But once you have it you can add TVRs to the biggest rads in the house and they add another stat and will keep the rooms at the temp you want them and can shut downstairs rads off at night or upstairs rads off during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Take a look at the last few pages of the Netatmo thread that Davy just moved in from Bargain Alerts

Cheers d31b0y,
    I had a quick look there, seems like the Netatmo is doable. Would have to double check the wiring though.
    Graham wrote: »
    +1

We have 2 oil boilers (one Grant), one controlled by a Nest, the other controlled by a Hive.

Brill, I know some Grant boilers are compatible with the Nest, is yours the Euroflame do you know?
    Stoner wrote: »
    I've had X10 switches and lightwaverf switches that as the guys above said they were interchangeable with a 24hour time clock.

The lightwaverf unit is a switch with a boost button, but you also need the programmable timer unit. This is a wireless stat so it's good as you can add a stat that you can place where ever you want.

But once you have it you can add TVRs to the biggest rads in the house and they add another stat and will keep the rooms at the temp you want them and can shut downstairs rads off at night or upstairs rads off during the day.

Must check those out, I had read that the TRVs can be a bit on the noisy side.

Roen wrote: »
    Brill, I know some Grant boilers are compatible with the Nest, is yours the Euroflame do you know?

IIRC it's a Grant Vortex but I can't imagine there would be a problem connecting any of the range.

FWIW, I'd go for Hive over Nest. We've had the Next for just over 2 years and have been completely underwhelmed with it. They should rename the 'learning' feature to the 'turn your heating on/off completely randomly' feature.

• Advertisement

IIRC it's a Grant Vortex but I can't imagine there would be a problem connecting any of the range.

FWIW, I'd go for Hive over Nest. We've had the Next for just over 2 years and have been completely underwhelmed with it. They should rename the 'learning' feature to the 'turn your heating on/off completely randomly' feature.

Cheers,

So Hive is the better of the two from your experience.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Roen wrote:
    Must check those out, I had read that the TRVs can be a bit on the noisy side.

They are . Mine were recalled and the firmware upgrade sorted some of the noise out. They are quieter now buy you still hear a grinding sound from them as they turn on and off

Roen wrote:

I'd agree here too. I've nest smoke detectors but I wouldn't have it on the heating side

Heatmeiser are worth a look too

https://www.heatmiser.com/en/

Cheers,

Much

Cool,

One thing though regarding the Hive, does it expose anything locally you can scrape via another tool?
    Ideally I'd like to have everything under a Home Assistant install.

• Advertisement

Much

Sorry for all the questions, did you self install or get an engineer out?
    It's £179 (€202) on Amazon at the mo, versus €299 for device plus install from the Hive Ireland store. Bones of €100 to be saved by buying the kit from the UK and DIY installing it.

Sorry for all the questions, did you self install or get an engineer out?
    It's £179 (€202) on Amazon at the mo, versus €299 for device plus install from the Hive Ireland store. Bones of €100 to be saved by buying the kit from the UK and DIY installing it.

Purchased from Amazon without the install, local sparky did the install in a few minutes.

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences extracting data from hive, would be interesting to tie up with my oil usage data from Olive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've a grant boiler and went with the Electric Ireland offer today of 99e for the nest 3 installed, also went for a second nest as after zoning out upstairs from downstairs. Second one was an extra 270 but they done some tweaking with my bill to take the sting out of it.

There using version 3 of the Nest and the reviews are very positive from what I can see over the older ones. 5yr warranty. hard to pass.

I've a grant boiler and went with the Electric Ireland offer today of 99e for the nest 3 installed, also went for a second nest as after zoning out upstairs from downstairs. Second one was an extra 270 but they done some tweaking with my bill to take the sting out of it.

There using version 3 of the Nest and the reviews are very positive from what I can see over the older ones. 5yr warranty. hard to pass.

Would be interested in hearing how you get on with the learning functions dm.

Olive. Another gadget I didn't know I wanted. I assume that the oil ordering functionality only works in the UK?

Would be interested in hearing how you get on with the learning functions dm.

Getting installed next week will let you know, hoping the Home/Away assist works well would be pretty handy..

Olive. Another gadget I didn't know I wanted. I assume that the oil ordering functionality only works in the UK?

Afraid so. The cost of oil used is also in local GBP pricing and serves as a constant reminder how expensive oil is here.

Getting installed next week will let you know, hoping the Home/Away assist works well would be pretty handy..

Home/away works very well since they switched to using geolocation on phones rather than presence detection on the stat.

Do you have the nest monitor or anything else, the review I read said it works better with them.
    I'm not sure where to place the thermostats so i can detect nobody around the quickest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mudabi

Using Nest thermostat for 10 months now, oil boiler. Very happy with it. Our heating is on a lot less than it was when we had a mechanical timer but the house is now toasty all of the time. Well worth the investment in our experience.

Do you have the nest monitor or anything else, the review I read said it works better with them.
    I'm not sure where to place the thermostats so i can detect nobody around the quickest.

Just the stat, was tempted to get the smoke alarms but the early teething problems they had put me off. Would have been interested in the cams apart from the ongoing subscriptions.

We have the stat on a stand in the sitting room as that's the room we'd like to base the comfort levels.

Afraid so. The cost of oil used is also in local GBP pricing and serves as a constant reminder how expensive oil is here.

Grand,

So is it just for monitoring usage? Would it alert say if the level suddenly dropped, as in a theft scenario?

Grand,

So is it just for monitoring usage? Would it alert say if the level suddenly dropped, as in a theft scenario?

It apparently alerts you if there's a sudden drop in oil levels but it's not a feature I've tested :pac:. I'm not sure how quickly it would alert either so there's a possibility you'd only find out that you'd already been robbed.

We have 2 Arlo cameras covering the remote tank/boiler which gives us a little more peace of mind with the added indirect benefit of supporting the Duracell share price :(

The nest camera looks nifty for monitoring, not sure about the oilve gadget, 120 quid gets you good bit of oil these days.

The nest camera looks nifty for monitoring
    IIRC the Nest has an ongoing subscription, one of the reasons we opted for Arlo. Battery operated cameras (Arlo) are a mixed blessing. Quick to install but can be expensive to run (mixed results so far).
    not sure about the oilve gadget, 120 quid gets you good bit of oil these days.
    We needed the remote monitoring ability so it was either the Olive or the Apollo with a SIM/Ongoing subscription and 48hr update cycles.

Actually lads,

Would anyone have any input into the wiring here. I popped off the Towerchron QE1

1YlBhkCl.jpg

I see two neutrals, no idea where they are going though, one from the board and one to the boiler?
    Two lives, one to L and one to 4.
    The one from L is looped to 3. I presume 3 powers the Towerchron timer unit on the wall that I popped off.
    4 goes to the boiler I am guessing.

I'm reluctant to make that final jump and buy just in case I can't use it.
    I sent the same photo to the Hive support guys. No answer as of yet.

Thanks,
    R.

Disclaimer; I am no electrician and have no idea about voltages the cables can take. I contemplated not posting this, so I would wait for definitive confirmation before doing this.

If 4 definitely goes to the boiler then the netatmo wiring would be;

Black cable to 4
    Blue to N
    Brown and gray to L

You can get rid of the loop to 3 altogether to make space but remember you will have to put it back if you want to go back to the old timer. Then just slap the timer you have back on top and leave it in the off position. A simple and easy way to keep it neat and tidy.

Disclaimer; I am no electrician and have no idea about voltages the cables can take. I contemplated not posting this, so I would wait for definitive confirmation before doing this.

If 4 definitely goes to the boiler then the netatmo wiring would be;

Ah, I mistyped that post. I am actually not sure, I am guessing!
    Apologies.

• Advertisement

It's a pretty reasonable guess in fairness.

Advertisement