Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Winter Matchplay (2016/2017)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just realised I forgot to post here

Well I arranged my match against Charlie for a few weeks ago..... but he cried off last minute.... and didn't give me a walkover :D Haha, was no issue, stuff happens so we just had to bide our time before re-arranging

We took advantage of the Boards outing at Luttrelstown and got paired together to enable our showdown. Slightly against the spirit of the winter matchplay not playing on a links course, but not against the rules, so all were happy.

We played out every shot for the Outing, but putts were given. Actually, I generously gave about a 3 footer on the second for a half and Charlie then bloody missed it..... Arrghhhhh. All given putts after that were held.

Charlie got off to a solid start and I just wasn't swinging to good. He was 2 up at the turn I think when it looked like being all square with me close to the hole, he holds about a 10 footer and I missed from about 3 foot. Actually, if it wasn't for his putter, I might have stood a chance. I think the putt on the second hole was genuinely about the only thing he missed inside of about 15ft all day.

I did have it back to al square on the 14th tee, but after Charlie sprayed his tee shot right into gorse, I didn't play sensible and pretty much gave him the hole, as I also did with very lazy shots on the par 3 15th. I stole 16 with a solid par but on 17 Charlie had a shot and 2 sixes saw him take the match 2&1.

I am going through a few lessons at the moment, so learning a but and concentrating to much on my swing. I need to forget about it while on the course. Actually, had a lesson just before, and while it was good, I need to work on the stuff I was learning and it didn't help playing golf straight away, for not much more reason than I was bollixed! lol

Anyway, no excuses, neither of us played well, but Charlie played slightly better and deserved his 2&1 win.

It all looks over now for me.....................................or is it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So groups back on schedule and we are near the semi final line up for the Mini Winter Matchplay.

Golfgraffix the first and only winner of this event - placed himself back in it after a win 5&4 against Big Chap - the match was closer than that and it came down to better putting on the greens by J.

Big changes in the clubhouse at Corballis and the course work is coming on - far better condition than it has been in a while there.

Charlie goes into Semi after winning all 3 matches - He faces myself in a semi final.

Group A has been more complex and going into last match - a big win by Seve is needed to knock out Golfgraffix - Seve needs to win by 4 to go into Semi on Hole Difference (our equivalent of goal difference)

Group A Played HD Points
    CharlieIRL 3 7 6
    Golfgraffix 2 2 2
    BigChap1759 3 -4 2
    Seve OB 2 -5 0

Group B Played HD Points
    Alan M 3 7 4
    FixdePitchmark 3 3 4
    Roadrunner 3 0 3
    Tom D.BJJ 3 -10 1

Semi Finals

Charlie Versus FixdePitchmark

Alan M Verus runner up in group A

Banter has been good - has kept us focused over winter on our games.

We hope to get Semi in European in next 3 weeks and Final back on the somewhat now neutral venue Corballis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Looking forward to it.

And so, the round robin came to an end today.

Group A Played HD Points
    CharlieIRL 3 7 6
    Golfgraffix 3 3 4
    BigChap1759 3 -4 2
    Seve OB 3 -6 0

Group B Played HD Points
    Alan M 3 7 4
    FixdePitchmark 3 3 4
    Roadrunner 3 0 3
    Tom D.BJJ 3 -10 1

Semi Finals now confirmed - location to be confirmed.

Charlie Versus FixdePitchmark

Alan M Verus Golfgraffix

After a great game today Golfgraffix used his links expereince to overcome Seve 1 up - winning on 18.

Seve was creaming the ball all day with the new work on his swing bedding in very well - too much club at time resulted in harsh outcomes - but the match was ding dong all the way.

The rather complicated permutations in the group meant - Golfgraffix just had to avoid a large defeat to progress. Golfgraffix shaped the ball well on the front nine and used all his links experience to get scores when not playing at his best. A shot of the day on 13 for a rare 2 there was enough to make sure he was in the semi - but with the game still very close on the day.

It was stunning in Corballis today - but legitimate concern about the number of people on the course at the one time making play simply too slow to fully enjoy. Normally just over 3 hours for 3 balls out there - now you are under pressure for 4 hours. The hidden gem is no longer.

We are all happy how it went - was a big commitment to get the games done in good time - and we had to deal with the bad weather at times, but we knew it was going to be part of it.

Some great play from Alan M and Charlie to win groups and we are all looking forward to the semi.

To close off the round robin we are going to go for a game of metro golf a few beers and play the round of our life virtually.

There was heat today and a sign of the new season on the way.

All of us have enjoyed the banter and ups and downs.

Down to 4 - 3 games of golf to go.

Hopefully we remain friends after the battle and bad bounces of Championship Links to come.

People fancy Alan M for the win.
    But I'd be thinking Golfgraffix is hiding in the fescue.

Charlie and I are in it for the fun and the beer. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Reverse Physcology Fix..........

I love it........ Matchplay Mindgames are part and parcel of the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

. A shot of the day on 13 for a rare 2 there was enough to make sure he was in the semi

And there was me thinking shot of the day was my 265 yard 3 iron on 11:eek::eek:

Ah in fairness I hit a great shot in on 13 to put the pressure on J and he just nailed a beauty there to get inside me.

Very happy with my ball striking today, few hiccups along the way but that's to be expected. I feel like I could be a force to be reckoned with later his year if I keep up the practice and lessons

Well done to Golfgraffix on beating me 1up. Still feel I gave it away and a ball OB on 15 was a 2 hole swing.....but hey, that's golf.

Can't wait to get out again. 3 club challenge in Greystones on Saturday. 3 iron off the tee for me, 7 iron for the medium shots and a pw for closer in. Putter is allowed also. It'll be interesting to see how I can score over the 18 with so few clubs, I'd say doing that regular would make a good golfer out of you

So, we hope to wrap up within the next 2 weeks and today we hit The Island for a Semi Final , thanks to Golgraffix for organising it.

I hadn't been to the course in 2 years - since the last semi in this event and is a course I love. The weather wasn't predicted to be good - but it improved as we got closer to our tee time - whilst the wind was strong, it was very playable. We played the greens (slightly forward) and were glad of it in the end.

Always nice to arrive early when you are playing one of the big ones, get a feel for the practice facilities, the clubhouse - one thing that is great about The Island is the friendly and welcoming staff - always have time for any visitor and it doesn't feel as stuffy out there, as it can in some of the championship links on the east.

There is a great view of the first - and you know you are into a magical day , when you see the towering dunes left and right from the first tee.

Charlie has had a terrific event considering very little winter links or any links experience. His contact with the ball is very powerful and his strong ball flight holds well in the wind; he was entering the semi as the only player unbeaten.

Alan M has had a remarkable 2 years - with his handicap flying down and winning all around him. He has a remarkable short game and fantastic putting - he is fancied to win the event by most - and to be honest, does very little wrong and will be hard to beat for anyone.

Golfgraffix is a very experienced player - previous winner of the event and a very good links player - he has a fantastic all round game , but his short game is exceptional.

Myself - well , who knows, I should be good in this , but have had 6 months of very up and down golf. Can go out and struggle to break 90 and then be in the 70s the next day.

The start of The Island is a fantastic course - you are taken away on a clever route up and down rolling dunes with quick changes of direction , meaning you are thinking about every shot and the changing wind.

Golfgraffix and myself got off to good starts and were up early on - the lads made great fight backs even when disadvantaged not knowing course at all.
    A couple of errors from Golfgraffix from good positions meant Alan was 3 up at turn.

Charlie lost a ball on 6, mainly due to wind and this gave me a chance to pull away to 2 up - but a great par by Charlie on next the unusual blind 7th - kept the match in the mix.

The matches were touch and go at the start of the fantastic back nine - holes won in all directions and different ways - but it was a day when a bogey was a good score and sometimes enough for a win in the wind.

Alan and myself got control of the games on the key narrow and fascinating 14.

on 15 charlie had no shot and a par was enough for me to win our game.

Golfgraffix gave it all to get his match to 17th - but again, solid wedge play and putting gave Alan his match with another impressive par on a tough low indexed 17th.

So Myself and Alan into a final - we think back in Corballis. Alan hammered me last time there and I have a tough task ahead , but will give it a lash.

A very enjoyable day - good fun on a terrific course.

None of us played our best golf today, but there was man marking and match play factors - but we all had a very enjoyable day. We left on talking terms :)

There is something about The Island - an amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alanm

I played Fix in the final today back in good old corballis. Fix had a very solid start and was 3 up after 5 holes I think it was. I managed to steady myself and then took advantage of shots on both 8 and 9 to close the gap back.

It was fairly nip and tuck on the back 9. I managed to get back to a/s a couple of time but kept losing the next holes. The 17th proved pivotal with fix hitting a cracker of a shot to about 10 feet on the right tier. I was miles right, managed to chip over the green and down into a hollow with my second. Nearly holed my 3rd shot but not to be. We halved the 18th (even though I had a shot) with par vs bogey for Fix to win.

I really enjoyed the format and definitely has helped keep my game sharp/focused over the winter

Congrats fix on the win, was well deserved! Roll on next year when hopefully our handicaps are a bit closer!

A real winter day in the Winter Match play. :D

Alan in shorts and practising his putting as I arrived, how long was he there was my first inner thoughts :).

Alan - hammered me in group stages and I also lost the last final of this event (badly to Golfgraffix). So needed to play well for two reasons, the past and the present. Playing well didn't really look on the cards, as have been playing fairly poorly and working on a few changes in swing last 6 weeks. Had a bit of a putting wobble too last few weeks.

But - somehow played well when it mattered and got in the lead early on. Standard was fairly good early on - unless you had a par you were gone. Got to 3 up after 7, but Alan played great stuff to 1/2 the 7th, win 8 and win 9.

Play has been slow enough this winter out in Corballis - the place is busier, at times there have been too many people on he course. We just got a day when we got a great run and a kind 3 ball who let us through at 10. We played 2 of our best shots of the day on 10 with the audience looking on - always nice :D

We had one terrible hole the odd 11th, when it was won with a double - but such is match play and the evil bounces of crazy blind right angle links dog legs.

I was very lucky on 12 hitting a fence and bouncing back into play - but didn't capitalise and Alan got a brilliant par on the brilliant and terrible 12th.

Alan m is a solid player with a great short game and fantastic putting. He normally makes a few big ones (putts) in a round - and they didn't seem to come today.

I finished with 2 good pars - and that is normally a good scores there.

So happy to get win in the end. Losing 2 finals would have been hard to take.

But it wasn't just about today - we had a great few months in the event. Don't get me wrong - it is a significant commitment for all, at times it was cold and tough and slow, but we all felt it was good for our games. The guys who were lucky to get to a semi had a brilliant day at The Island.

We are talking about the format and will consider if we should change it. There would be reluctance - as it was nice for us all to be still in event after 2 games. But equally you need to be committed enough and be able to tolerate a lot of crap on whatsapp :D

No, the banter was great and all matches were played in a very sporting manner, there was also a social night and aspect, you felt you got to know the lads a bit more.

So thanks to all for playing all their games. Corballis was a great venue , it is a place in significant change and this, going out and having the place to yourself is sadly gone.

For one day - Alanm and I had a total free run and finished the round in 3 hours flat.

Thanks to Golfgraffix for sorting out the Semi. The idea of a top course for Semi worked , it gives all a nice target.
    There were lads very close to a Semi and I know are dying to give event another rap.

I think the fact the event went well we could up the entry to 20 euro (was 15) - to fund the semi more next time round. We still got a great rate and The Island were an outstanding host and course again. As they always seem to be.

I know Corballis is almost like a home venue for me, but every game was very tough and handicaps were excellent over the whole event.

So catch all in 2017/2018 - we will get event squeezed into 4 months next time.

But - once we have the same laugh , competitive edge, great courses - and a good game, hitting the early season . What more could you want.

Well done lads.

I'm in great form :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done lads, and a deserved winner. Sure if you didn't win it this year ya may as well give up!!!! :)

True it took some commitment, but it was well worth it, I must say I really really enjoyed it and you can count me in for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ballyk

Congrats on the win Fix. Now that you have broken your duck in the matchplay it must be a matter of time before you win a Boards outing as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Well played Fix and Alan

Advertisement