Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Winter Matchplay (2016/2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ok lads - draw done by kids - a coin decided - who went first - then they picked A or B , then they picked one at a time. Sepp Blatter was not in the room - I have a picture - but hope I don't need proof.

Group A (The Ice Breakers)
    Played HD Points
    dar_cool 0 0 0
    Golfgraffix 0 0 0
    SeveOB 0 0 0
    CharlieIRL 0 0 0

Group B (The Cold Ball Breakers )
    Played HD Points
    Alan M 0 0 0
    FixdePitchmark 0 0 0
    Tom.D.BJJ 0 0 0
    Roadrunner 0 0 0

If anyone pulls out before a game ridonkulous is in - sorry about the oversubscription - Seve and pcasso to put one name forward by pm.

Best of luck lads - looking forward to it. I'm up Friday versus Tom.D.BJJ - anyone else want to make it a 4 ball - about 930 and get 2 games on.

This year we will got to whatsapp too - to help games get on.

Know the games of 6 of the lads above and think they are great groups - delighted to avoid the champ in round 1 (Golfgraffix)

OK so, I'm in.

Are we playing this Friday? To be honest, next week or even the following works a lot better for me, just have a busy 10 days ahead of me work wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Seve OB wrote: »
    OK so, I'm in.

Are we playing this Friday? To be honest, next week or even the following works a lot better for me, just have a busy 10 days ahead of me work wise.

Go for next week so - organise a match in your group.

Me and Tom can kick it off Friday,

No panic when you start Seve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I can possibly play Friday if anyone in my group wants to play. I will confirm tomorrow

dar_cool wrote: »
    I can possibly play Friday if anyone in my group wants to play. I will confirm tomorrow

I'll skip this week so guys, but could play either 18th or 25th if it suits any of yiz?

Lad - Tom and I out Friday - if anyone wants to play - or even have another match.

PM us.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads I think ill have to pull out altogether, have to much stuff going on with the new gaff and baby.

Somebody can take my spot if they wish

Cheers

Dar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

The group of death just got a little easier!!! :)

dar_cool wrote: »
    Sorry lads I think ill have to pull out altogether, have to much stuff going on with the new gaff and baby.

Somebody can take my spot if they wish

Cheers

Dar

Thanks for that dar. As we said, we need people who can play the 3 matches over the winter.

So Ridonkulous has first call.

If not claimed by Monday evening - we will reopen and the draw remains as is - with the person going straight to dars spot.

Thanks.

Again - up to Ridonkulous if he wants spot or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One would presume you've pm'd him to let him know he's in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Match 1: v FixP

Small frost delay, but it turned into an absolute cracker of a morning. There wasnt much breeze on the front nine, but it picked up to a two or three club wind on the back nine.

Fix won the first four holes with some very clean ball striking and clinical putting particularly distance control. I came back winning the next two, and we split the next few holes to make the turn with Fix two up. Fix ramped up the pressure by controlling the ball beautifully in the wind. He won 10/11/12 and closed off our match 6 and 5 on the 13.

We decided to continue on the the competition and Fix came home with 37 points on what was a tough day. Well played sir, ill do better next time :)

Fix wins 6 and 5

Sounds like fun lads,
    Fix will be a very hard man to beat around Corballis

Rikand wrote: »
    One would presume you've pm'd him to let him know he's in ;)

Ok Ridonkulios is not on to this

so the first person who say they want to play they are in.

Bring back pcasso :D

Ok lads.

Could someone please come forward to enter event ?

Is more fun than comes across - :D
    3 games over next few months. Up to 5 if make the final.
    A friendly competitive edge.
    A bit of fun.
    You meet people who can play golf at different times.
    And some fantastic days on links courses at great rates.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Could someone please come forward to enter event ?

Is more fun than comes across - :D

perhaps someone who's a little bit not good around corballis and make it easier on the rest of us? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Go on then :P

I have a few days holidays left till the end of the year so, providing I can give a weeks notice then I'm sure I can get 3/5 games in in 2/3 months :D

I have a few days holidays left till the end of the year so, providing I can give a weeks notice then I'm sure I can get 3/5 games in in 2/3 months :D

You can play weekends too

Fast round there

Fair play

I'm playing on saturdays / sundays if we can

RoadRunner wrote: »
    perhaps someone who's a little bit not good..
    Go on then..

Looks like you missed bit where I called for some who's not good :rolleyes:

So if both groups are "Groups of Death" does that also mean that neither are?

• Advertisement

Friday week?

2 Group "A" matches completed Sunday and today
    1 Group "B" match completed today as well.

Will let the lads do the write-ups and post scores.

So off to a fast start this year, in the winter match play – we decided to get one game done asap – to have one in the bag before we face the uncertainty of real winter. But, the Irish weather with a quick temperature dip, reminded us that – It makes other plans.

The WhatsApp group has added another dimension – and we really are overzealous with this new world with no moderation – sorry I forgot, we do have a moderator. Anyway, way too many updates and anxiety about a bit of wind and the odd chance of a frost delay.

But well done all – and great commitment to get the games done. Nice to get on course updates as you are in the middle of a weekly meeting in work (lol).
    So the first game – Tom a newcomer, was unlucky to hit myself playing a course I know too well and playing the best golf I have played in 6 months – he did well to hold me at all and let me away with murder on 13, for me to win the match. We had a great day – if it was way too slow, But Tom loved the idea from the off – even if you are meeting a bloke from the Internet in a car park.

Charlie in -2 degrees, set out for the 2nd game against the Links guru and only champion of this event – Golfgraffix, who was very generous with his course knowledge and incredibly. Charlie won, first time out on course, turning the match in his direction with great play at the important par 5 (12) and crazy par 3 (13).

This results shakes up group A – as Golfgraffix was seen as a favourite in Group A – he will need a win and maybe a draw also now. But we all know, he is well able to win both.

Corballis Is holding up well in winter – but there have been changes there and concern amongst the people who love the course, about the Carr Golf takeover and condition of greens. We will watch this space. But always a joy to play golf at all and walk off with dry clean shoes in winter.

Charlie with his shots over a shorter course, with new course knowledge and a new disciplined approach as required around Corballis, will be a new force in Group A.

In Group B - we seen Roadrunner, the most excited about something in a long time – as he rarely gets out much these days. His match was a cracker against Alan M, we all had on course updates and photos – The match was up and down from both sides, but again, 12 and 13 were key where Roadrunner - hit a screamer of a 6 iron in strong wind to 4 feet on the crazy 13, the match went all the way to 18, when Roadrunner won 2 up. Reports back, that with Alan’s strong short game and putting – Group B is going to be tough going.

The build up to match 4 – was dominated by the weather change. A reminder that people who plan an event in winter deserve 0 degrees at some point and need to learn the hard way the joys of base layer and lined trousers.
    Seve OB is a very very serious competitor and BigChap a solid ball striker – this was a big match. Particularly when they are a Ryder Jug pair up against each other. Knowing too much about each other’s game. The all-important course knowledge was key for BigChap – but Seve put in a great performance to bring it all the way to 17 – Big Chap won 3&1.

The winter was threatened for today – but when you get a day predicted to be clear and cold in Ireland – you can sometimes get a real pleasant surprise around midday, if you get a day like that in Winter it is stunning, everything, the course, place, the fact you have it to yourself and also the fact you somehow never expect a nice day in winter. A sort of element of surprise and unexpected game of golf at a strange time of year is always a bonus.

We had an extra match today – a last minute one between myself and Roadrunner – again, it is almost like a home course to me and I got off to a flyer. Mick played great stuff to stay in the game and we were back and forth winning and losing holes from 8 all the way to 16. We had a ball and a load of fresh donuts to keep the energy up. We both hit cracking PWs into about 8 feet on 17 and that was enough for me to ½ hole and win match 2&1. When I think back over the game there was only a couple of bounces and shots in it – and we knew it would be very close. We didn’t play our best – but there was an element of match play and man marking in that.

So things going great so far – we are getting great value out there, nice weather so far and some good golf. Course holding up well in cold conditions – greens can be damaged due to pitch marks, we are still enjoying the sea views and dry feet leaving the course.

The semis will be on more neutral venues – but with each game the lads are getting the feel for hitting where you can see – (if it can’t be seen, just know). The handicaps are excellent and we are all regular GUI players. But it is mainly about keeping the game going in winter, a bit of fun and a pint at some point.

I’d say I’m in a semi – unless an unusual sequence of scores – but everyone can still make a semi as it is early days.

We hope to all have two games done by Christmas. And a hip flask and lined trouser then.

Group A Played HD Points
    BigChap1759 1 3 2
    CharlieIRL 1 3 2
    Golfgraffix 1 -3 0
    Seve OB 1 -3 0

Group B Played HD Points
    FixdePitchmark 2 8 4
    Roadrunner 2 0 2
    Alan M 1 -2 0
    Tom D.BJJ 1 -6 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'll break with the accepted protocol and do a mini write up of Seve and I's game.

First of all the threatened frost never appeared(it's increasingly looking as though this was bogey information being provided by my meteorologists at yr.no) - in fact it was a beautiful morning although you would have been forgiven for thinking it was -10 if you looked at Seve on the first tee, a cross between the Michelin man and the invisible man(minus the sun glasses)....and yes, he did have the battery operated Ryder Cup hand warmer :P

I got off to a flyer with Seve struggling to warm up, +3 after 4 with the highlight for me smoking driver on 3 leaving me PW to the middle of the green and a very easy par on what is, for me, usually the toughest hole on the course.

Seve had shots on 8 & 9 and took advantage to pull it back to +1 at the turn. We traded a couple of shots up till the 14th where Seve had a shot - we both hit good drives down, mine a bit down the left but in good shape. Hit one of my best shots of the year, a 6i out of a sanded divot into 15 foot. Seve was just short of the green in two and putted up to 3 foot, looking favourite for the hole now - in a classic match play situation I managed to make the birdie putt and Seve missed his par putt. This was the clincher for me psychologically and went on to win 3 & 1 on the 17th green.

It was a very close match and I think the outcome could well have been different if I hadn't got my nose in front early. I was also at an advantage of knowing the course pretty well whereas it was only Seve's second time out there.

It was as beautiful a winter's day as you could ever hope for on the links and really looking forward to the other matches now.

Great to get out for a game yesterday. Been a busy month in work so it was nice to have a day off to play golf. Except I had't played in weeks so was very rusty. Only experience of Corballis was a year ago at the Turkey Shoot last year and I really had trouble remembering my way around. Even when I did recall some of the holes, it was still difficult to gauge how to play them. Good bit of blind stuff that playing the course regularly helps a lot.

It's not a bad course at all. I quite enjoyed it. As a previous Golf Digest reviewer though, I know it won't get great reviews mainly because of the danger element. Criss Cross holes 1 &12, 8 & walk to 10th tee. shared fairways on 18&14 and 15&16, some crazy stuff in there. But it is a fun course to play and some cracking holes that really wouldn't be out of place over in Portmarnock or down in Ballybunion.

So the golf....well I was rusty, and even after BigChap did his best to gift me the first hole, I still made a dogs dinner of it and gave it straight back. I found myself in a few situations during the round with poor lies/position, i.e. gone long when short was the play or missing on the wrong side, misjudging distances, and not getting the lay ups right. Stuff you can only learn from experience of playing the course. Big thing I have learnt in recent years playing golf is to ask yourself, where is the miss? As in where is the safe place to miss that gives you the chance to recover, and when I missed, I was in the wrong place.

Anyway, I hung in and despite being 3 down after 4, I pulled it back. But missing a 3 footer on 5 and another on 8 didn't help. As Big Chap says, I was still in it though playing 14, and looking good to bring the match back to all square, but when he rolled in the 15 footer it made the hole so much smaller for my 3 footer. I knew he was going to drain the putt though, he was so solid with the flat stick all day and probably only missed twice from inside 10 foot. But he hit it hard and for a second I said to myself, "hello.... this might go a mile here" and it would have, except it was dead online and with a bang against the back wall of the hole a little jump in the air, she settled in the bottom of the cup. I missed and that was a 2 hole swing right there and it was always going to be difficult after that.

So dormy 2 and BigChap sticks a pw to about 8 foot to effectively seal the match, but I could still half the hole and keep the scoreline respectable. My pw however was pulled slightly and she rolled right back down the hill into a hole. I did really well to play the shot I did and where the pin was, I was never going to hold the green, but i was right beside it and gallant effort to hold my ship saw me finish about 6 inches away form the hole and that was that. 3&1 loss, but a very enjoyable game with my Ryder Jug partner

With a bit of a frost delay in the morning, the box had all groups packed together and it resulted in the only dampener of the day. We were waiting on most shots, but were still moving along at a nice pace. Me not knowing the course and a few lost balls seemed to upset the guys behind us though (well one of them anyway), but we were going nowhere. As we walked to the 13th tee box, the boys in front were teeing off on 14. We teed off and the knobjocky behind us shouted at us quite aggressively to hurry up that we had lost the guys in front as they were already gone off the 14th tee. He actually went on a bit and I was about to engage him, but thought better of it so instead offered him the opportunity to play through us. We had already hit our tee shots, so I suggested to Big Chap that we walk to our balls while they finished out on 12, and then we would stand back to let them play through. We got up and went to the side and looked back, and kept looking back, but there was nobody behind us anymore.......... the fockers had just walked off the course......... :eek::confused::mad:

In my second match I was beaten by fix. We had both been bigging ourselves up against each other on whatsapp. But in the end I played badly and handed too many holes to him. There were very few halfed holes in our match, and it was all or nothing, guts or glory. 4 down after 7 and not playing well I thought it was going to be over too quickly but then I had a few good holes in the middle. I lost a ball on 12 and fix stole a win on 14 which were both the decisive moments for me. Great work fix! I didn't deserve the win after some wayward play. But fix brought donuts which went down well. Enjoyed my day. Myself, fix, and Seve went for a bite to eat in donabate after the round. You've gotta like fix for the win overall. He's such a solid game. He was giving me 8 shots and conditions were more-or-less perfect out there (in theory suiting me!).

Best moment of the match. 12th green, after winning the hole, Fix letting out a roar at a crow at the side of the green as it was trying to gobble up his donuts. You could say that crow got fixd.

After a bit of a hiatus – due to work, winter and lack of light. The winter match play was slightly paused over the Christmas – a couple of games have happened in last few weeks and with the 5 o’clock light, there are games on in the afternoon now.

The competition format has proved interesting – with even 2 wins not guaranteeing a passage to a semi.

The Semi line up will be confirmed over the next 3 weeks – then a Semi and final in March.

Tom is only player out at this point – but went out with his head held high after a remarkable comeback from 5 down after 6, to get a half in his last match versus Roadrunner. It places Roadrunner in a Semi position (for now) - but he is awaiting the result of the last game in group B.

Group B is due to finish this week – with Alan M requiring a win versus myself to go into a Semi and knock Roadrunner out.

The top 2 in each group go into a semi (winner plays runner up in other group).

A big surprise in Group A has been our mod CharlieIRL – claiming he isn’t playing much and winning against two great ball strikers and players in Golfgraffix and BigChap. But plenty of action remaining over next 3 weeks in group A – all players can still qualify or conversely - not qualify.

Today Charlie had his 2nd scalp against Big Chap in very challenging coastal conditions (2/3 club wind) – an up and down from Charlie from long on 13 - was a turning point in match – and that is an unusual place to get up and down from. Very long rough and onto a downhill green. Match ended 2&1.

The banter has been fun (but too much on bloody WhatsApp) – and at some point we hope to have a few beers.
    We are thinking about The European for a Semi and then the Final may be back to Corballis.

The last Semi in this event (2015) was at The Island thanks to Golfgraffix. The eventual winner of the event.

So has been fun and kept us all concentrated over the last few months.

Group A Played HD Points
    CharlieIRL 2 5 4
    BigChap1759 2 1 2
    Golfgraffix 1 -3 0
    Seve OB 1 -3 0

Group B Played HD Points
    FixdePitchmark 2 8 4
    Roadrunner 3 0 3
    Alan M 2 2 2
    Tom D.BJJ 3 -10 1

Long Post......

Played my second match yesterday in the wild wind of Corballis against BigChap. There was no sunny views of Lambay Island on view like last time out, only crashing waves against the beach, still, it was a great to be out playing golf since I haven't lifted a club since the 2nd of January.
    The rust showed on the first hole with a duffed tee shot and a few more on a hole to forget, fortunately for me, BigChap was having the same problem, hole halved and quickly forgotten.

Better tee shots and some great scrambling we left the second hole still all square.

On to the third and my erratic shots came back, pulled my tee shot to the left, had to take an unplayable and then flew the ball onto the 10th fairway. Duffed a few more and with BigChap hitting an excellent drive and approach, it was 1 down before I got to the green!

On the 4th, was hard to judge the wind, went with too much club and over the green but miraculously I got up and down to level the match again. Was a huge hole for me as BigChap was on the green with his tee shot.

Two more great tee shots on the 5th but thankfully I sank a decent putt, 1 up

6,7 & 8 were halved with again, some fantastic golf from both of us. Tee shots leaving us in great positions to go for greens and approaches that wouldn’t look out of place at a europro tour!!! Holes were halved with pars and odd bogey.

An erratic tee shot from me and a superb approach from BigChap had the match all square on 9.

I left my tee shot short on 10 and my approach could have used a bit more so 1 down going to 11.

I don’t want to talk about 11, 2 down!!!

Took the cautions approach to 12, but again, the quality of BigChaps game shone through, hole halved with a pair of pars.

Then the delay started, we caught up with 4 elderly gentlemen and no way were they letting us through. Another miracle save from me on 13 after flying the green to the rough, back to 1 down.

Best drive of the day and cautions approach coupled with an unfortunate 3 putt from BigChap and it was all square again heading to 15.

Two great drives and approaches again but with me leaving my par putt on the lip meant we still couldn’t be separated.

I hit a decent drive down the 16th and unfortunately BigChaps drive went right and OOB, I had a shot on the hole so used it cautiously and it paid off, 1 up heading to 17.

Mental green on 17, pin on lower right hand tier, my tee shot landed about 3 foot from the pin and yet it rolled off to the right. Decided to putt and let it a foot short. A super chip from BigChap left him a 3 footer to keep the game going but unfortunately it wasn’t to be and a 2&1 win for me.

Am getting to like Corballis, some great holes, some insane holes, the 4 auld guys done their best to take the 2 of us out of it on the 14th, place is just too tight in spots. Some fairways were so-so, have seen a huge amount of traffic and its taking it toll. Same with some of the greens, few bare patches in places. Great to see work being done around the course and the clubhouse so hopefully when some proper growth comes it will return to the great condition it was in last time I was there.

Top drawer stuff from Alan M in group B today, to win group and secure a semi final place. A win against myself 5&3.

From the off it was a great game, turning level. The wind was up and all the clubs in the bag were needed on the front nine. A 3 club head wind at times.

At 10 Alan hit a the shot of the day a powerful hybrid / 3 wood ? into a head wind onto 10 and holes a 30 footer.
    I got a good par myself - but it was a day when you needed a par or better.

Bad run of golf from myself to 14 cost me the game. But was more a case of great play from Alan with up and downs and recovery play from tough positions.

Format very enjoyable and we all got a good run in our group.

Nice for myself to go into a semi under the radar - we hope to play it at European club.

Group B Played HD Points
    Alan M 3 7 4
    FixdePitchmark 3 3 4
    Roadrunner 3 0 3
    Tom D.BJJ 3 -10 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well played Alan against the links specialist Fix.

I can attest to Alanm's matchplay skills. He has a lovely touch round the greens & is an exceptional putter.

Also has a very compact swing which offers great control.

He'll be a tough opponent for anyone in the semis

Advertisement