Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTA Fare Determinations for 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Yes, and as I said before it doesn't say exactly what's gone up. For example it says "1-day, 7-day, monthly and annual vary from -5.9% to + 2.8%" but this is useless because you have no idea if your route is one which has decreased in price or one that has increased and that's what I'm looking for.

In fairness, the information is in the documents linked to from the page that devnull suggested.

But it's hidden down the end, in tables in the Appendix. Very user-unfriendly, especially if you're just looking for simply information like "what will my fare be".

For the regional cities, at least, it's possible to do a far simper summary, which states the facts. TFI/NTA choose to do the PR-spin, rather than focus on facts - and you can't really blame them: public transport info isn't sexy, and struggles to get news-media time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

For the regional cities, at least, it's possible to do a far simper summary, which states the facts. TFI/NTA choose to do the PR-spin, rather than focus on facts - and you can't really blame them: public transport info isn't sexy, and struggles to get news-media time.

You can hardly blame the NTA for doing that when we have a media that love provoking a sense of outrage who would happily report on the 1% of people who had a rise and ignore the 99% of people who had a decrease if that was the case.

The media reaction to the fares determination was:
    This is how much more you have to pay this year in the latest round of hikes with all companies seeing a rise. Here are the 35 stations that are moving into more expensive zones and these tickets are all going up by a lot, these tickets are going up a huge amount, hard pressed commuters are paying more thanks to the government sanctioned increases.

The fact that 75% of public transport journeys would not see a rise, two Dublin Commuter towns would see a massive saving and over 200 rail journeys were moved into cheaper zones, cash and leap fares on Dublin Bus were untouched and the NTA refused to sanction any increase on these services despite DB lobbying, doesn't make good news.

So instead they just make sure they publish the bad news and neglect to mention the better news. A proper article on the fares determination would be balanced and mention both the winners and the losers, but I haven't seen any. What grinds my gears is that the press are happy enough to dig up a fuss about what quite frankly, isn't a big deal, but when it comes to providing proper infrastructure for transport in this country they are nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

In fairness, the information is in the documents linked to from the page that devnull suggested.

But it's hidden down the end, in tables in the Appendix. Very user-unfriendly, especially if you're just looking for simply information like "what will my fare be".

Maybe it's my lack of sleep but I honestly can't see it.

I suppose I'll find out if it's + or - for me by 1/Dec!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe it's my lack of sleep but I honestly can't see it.

I suppose I'll find out if it's + or - for me by 1/Dec!

What service do you use? I don't know the big D so well, could be interesting to see if I can inured it out for you.

What service do you use? I don't know the big D so well, could be interesting to see if I can inured it out for you.

I live in Dublin so it's just the Luas/Bus Átha Cliath I use but I'm just asking out of curiosity for a friend. He uses the Route 4 Bus Éireann from Waterford to Dub city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bus Eireann Route 4 Wexford to Dublin is a commercial route so the fare is not regulated by the NTA and is an unregulated fare so does not form part of this determination.

devnull wrote: »
    Bus Eireann Route 4 Wexford to Dublin is a commercial route so the fare is not regulated by the NTA and is an unregulated fare so does not form part of this determination.

Ah, that'd explain why it wasn't there alright, silly me:rolleyes:

So because it's run under the ExpressWay brand it's commercial?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Doesn't fill me with confidence that the NTA can't do maths. Some fares going up by "16-18%". Quite a few are going from 2.46 to 2.93, which is in fact 19.1%

I live in Dublin so it's just the Luas/Bus Átha Cliath I use but I'm just asking out of curiosity for a friend. He uses the Route 4 Bus Éireann from Waterford to Dub city centre.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was talking to my friend and he mentioned that his ticket price gone up by 50c which is nothing but still an increase is an increase !

Advertisement