Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭con747

Pasta with meatballs and chorizo with garlic ciabatta.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

Friday night pizza chorizo, mushroom, red pepper and red jalapeno and a few cold beers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not a great looking meal but really comforting and tasty. Haggis (M&S), miso neeps and mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Don’t know what it is, but I’m craving red meat a lot over the last few weeks. Must be a winter thing..

Stir fried honey & chilli beef with cabbage, mushrooms and rice noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

Counter top one Nal, gets up to 290c ish. Have it about 5 years with no complaints, handy in this weather

https://caterexpress.ie/product/electric-pizza-oven/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Adapted this recipe for braised pork belly, added a few more things in. Kimchi, some soy onions and some pickled veg/rice to go with it. Mother was over, her first time with kimchi - not a huge fan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did this, minus the courgettes (I hate courgettes) - and due to not having maple syrup, used some honey and some black treacle. I also decided there was no chance the final tray didn't need some olive oil, salt and pepper before going in the oven.

I think this falls in to "far too many changes to be considered to be the original recipe".

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/recipes/simply-better-sausage-tray-bake

Anyway - after the alleged 25-30mins cooking time the sausages were grey and the spuds were rocks. Another 25 minutes on top of that, though; and the result was actually really quite good; and I'll probably do this again - maybe with a bit more veg actually. I think Neven was asked for a quick meal and fudged the numbers a little.

Yeah, poor recipe. Sausages will brown nicely and be cooked in 30 minutes at that heat but not with all the other stuff around them.

And those spuds should have been par boiled or microwaved first.

I don't really know why Nevin is doing this campaign. It isn't a good move for a well respected, pretty high end chef. He must be a bit skint!

• Administrators Posts: 53,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I notice that some chefs are full of **** when it comes to cooking times.

I've lost count of how many times I've heard them talk about putting spuds on to boil for example, without chopping them up, and saying something like "and they'll be ready in 10 mins".

Yea, right. Don't think I've ever seen a whole spud cook in 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I thnk they do it to make it look easy to cook. Recipe above, there isnt a hope that half a kilo of spuds in with all that other stuff is cooking in 25 minutes.

Also, poor cooking instructions aside, some of the so called recipes are really not recipes at all. More a case of buying Dunnes ingredients and cooking them. It's way beneath Nevin, imo.

Just seen another recipe where he puts a stuffed chicken breast wrapped in pancetta on top of raw, sliced potatoes and says cook until pancetta is crispy. The potatoes would be raw and the middle of the chicken perhaps underdone!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I ended up with no ideas of what to do for dinner this evening. So I did that again, but browned off the sausages and parboiled the potatoes. Also bought smaller cherry tomatoes - Lidl had some huge ones on Monday. I also doubled the onions and peppers as they shrink so much

Much better. Onions weren't approaching burnt by the time everything else was cooked, end to end time was probably the same as last time; still above what was advertised, and used a pot and a pan as well as the oven dishes.

TV chefs are absolutely terrible for implausible cooking times - onions soft in 5 minutes sauteeing is a common one. Jamie Olivers 15 and even 30 minute recipes are often impossible do to in the time, or even four times the time for some of the 15 minute ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Skin not browned enough, rushed it!

“Pot au Feu au Poulet”……always a fave.

160c / 90 minutes. Bombproof, foolproof 😀.

(Chicken trussed up, important enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Middle picture - is the mushroom strategically placed to spare the chicken's blushes? 🤣

Certainly.

Pork gyoza. Ajinomoto brand. Pretty damn tasty. Nuoc Cham dipping sauce. Did a crispier batch too with the slurry method. I think I preferred those.

Chicken egg fried rice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Goats Cheese and Balsamic Strawberry Bruschetta to start

Thai Red prawn soup with peanut butter croutons, crushed peanuts and fresh coriander

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

wow - looks fab - and again - looks like restaurant food

• Advertisement

Scraps from and under 😀 the fridge…….disguised in a Pasta Bake,

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Bluebell woods

I’ve got your butter dish

Proper size......holds a block of butter, not all do.

Clearing out the freezer a little this week, found a round of beef. Sous vide from frozen to 60 degrees or so, sandwiches. Horseradish mayo for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Oh yum.

Currently waiting for a dirty Chinese to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

I was off today so had time to roast a chicken. Served with roasties, stuffing and sprouts. Sprout season is nearly over which fills me with immense sadness.

A doner kebab with no veg after the Liverpool match.

Hang on, I just spotted a tiny piece of lettuce on the bottom right. 🙄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Rigatoni with red pesto chicken. Rocket and parmesan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Kebab needs salad, red cabbage, pickled chillies... Still, would eat!

• Advertisement

Advertisement