Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭con747

Back to us mere mortals so! Triple fried chips with prawns and a garlic dip. (out of picture)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Yeah I seen it on Instagram or somewhere a while back and I had to incorporate it into something. Housemates were giving out that they got no pigs in blankets when they went home at Christmas so that was the requested starter. The tiramisu for me was the real star of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Use up all the veg end of week dinner.

Vegetable soup with pumpkin seeds. Caramelised red onions, cheddar and parmesan muffins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh @Mr.Wemmick looks lovely, I'm in this type of mood too. Pumpkin seeds make a great soup topper.

Can I ask how you made the muffins, and could I use wholemeal flour (not a fan of white really)? Could they be made into scones?

I love savoury bakes, need to start trying my own simple ones, as I am no good at bread making.

The muffins are really easy, very tasty and filling. I use between 250 or 350g of self raising flour (depending on how many I want to make) 1tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp of salt, 2 eggs, one to two sliced red onions sautéed and allowed to cool, 150 mls Olive oil 100 mls of milk (more if it’s too dry). Grated strong cheddar cheese about 100/150/200g ( I use loads) and good handful of grated Parmesan, leave some for the topping .

Mix all the wet stuff, then add to the mixed dry, fold in cheese & onions, don’t over mix.. spoon into greased muffin tray. I have a silicone one, very easy to get them out after. Sprinkle some Parmesan on top. In my oven it takes 16 minutes at 190C

Wholemeal would work too, I reckon. I’ve never made scones with these as the mix is rather wet and muffin-like in consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chicken and leek stew from the freezer, suet dumplings, lemon and garlic cabbage.

Big tray of baked ziti. Incredibly rich. My housemates may get gout

Free range pork chops, fried mashed potatoes, carrots and tomato sauce.

Rice noodle vegetable stir fry and honey chilli turkey with ginger & dark soy.

Lemon soaked drizzle tray bake with a dollop of cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Some quality stuff ye have made today, lads and ladies.

Haven't been cooking much this week as I fucked my back, but between my partner and I, managed to get something homemade on the table today. Hit the spot. Very gas-inducing mind you.

Also pickled some chillies, courgettes and carrots and made crispy shallots and the associated oil. Immediately smashed said shallots. Wait, maybe that's the gas induction.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

I thought it was restaurant food! Well done!

Edit to say I just realised it was the KBizzle. Wouldn't expect anything less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Nice dinner tonight. The in laws were over so I wanted something very tasty, but also super simple because I'm permanently exhausted.

The baby had cheesy sweet potato mash. :)

For the rest of us: the starter was individual breaded baked camemberts, with a lemony salad and sour cranberry sauce.

Main course was fillet steak medium rare, mushroom sauce, chips, undressed salad and coleslaw.

Dessert was tiramisu. Nice bottle of sauvignon blanc. No pics because we're savages.

I'm making an attempt at Thai yellow curry (from a paste).

With baby potatoes, chicken, carrots and peas. *

I've also added some dried mushrooms, along with three slit green chillies, three dried birds eye chillies, so it is very spicy, and a can of coconut milk of course.

I'm out of dried lime leaves, but I will add fresh lime juice and lots of fresh basil to finish. I've also added brown sugar, shrimp paste and fish sauce. It's looking fairly liquid right now..

I basically don't know what the hell I'm doing, but hoping for something edible 🤞🙏

• I'm finding the carrots so bad from everywhere right now, even going black on the market shelves :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Some pizzas, some pulled pork and some no knead foccaccia ... Very carby stuff when I see it all together!

The pulled pork served with a homemade BBQ sauce (Kansas style), jalapeño slaw and spicy mayo.

Hmm.. Photos not uploading for me. I'll try again later..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

I’ve always wanted to try fried mash! Thing is I don’t like mash itself! 😂 this looks tasty

Always loved it as a kid when my mum reheated mash this way!

Yesterday’s dinner of vegetable fried rice and salmon in sweet chilli sauce. Loads left over for this evening.

Cheese cake is not mine, M&S.. delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

awe gee that makes me a bit lonesome - Mum use to sometimes throw left over mashed spuds on the pan... like if someone wasn't home for dinner at the time of the meal and needed to have it later.. gee.. oh how I loved the crispy bits.. awe - brings me back..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

To celebrate having under a square meter of actual work surface to prep on, and easy access to ingredients again (see reference to the renovation from hell in the chat thread) I decided I had to do something 'complex', as in it needed three pots, for today.

Beef rib stroganoff, basically the Hairy Bikers version with an insane amount of mustard, with gnocchi. I didn't make the gnocchi.

It feels very good to be able to (easily) cook something more complicated than taking everything out of packets, for the first time in two years.

I did actually cook Christmas dinner with just the kitchen table to prep on, and a two ring hob. Lots of balancing hot dishes on top of a stack of teatowels on the lid of the washing machine etc went on for that!

We had home-made burgers and chips this evening. The baby had a bowl of mashed carrot, potato and grated cheese, with added breastmilk. :D Truly, food of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Was just cooking for myself, and limited mobility meant I couldn't be arsed with much. Tried out the cargo rice (half and half with jasmine) and a pickled veg salad (carrot, courgette and cabbage, with some raw onion) with caraway and mint.

Actually really nice. Wasn't expecting to be as full, but I could see myself doing something similar more often, or for a lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

A strong childhood memory for me also. I haven't had it in years. I tend to use leftover mash now to thicken a soup or else make a potato cake, but the idea of it now, with some sticky fried sausages and a fried egg, is really whetting my appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

+1

With brown sauce on the side

and crispy potato skins straight of the top of the range

I've had dinner but I'm hanging for this😁

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Lettuce, Feta cheese, Beetroot, Cucumber, Chia seeds, Walnuts, Balsamic vinegar, Croutons, Roasted chicken, Capers, peppers.

Damn nice salad @buzzerxx (I like the white keyboard)!

Lamb kebabs with griddled vegetables. Leaving them rest now, and will have them with breads, salad, yoghurt and maybe some zhoug.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This sauce

Tossed over chicken pieces, roasted at 180c and then seared on a griddle pan with a metal bowl as a dome to catch the smoke makes for the best chicken you'll ever have.

With some lemons garlic spuds and guac

Sounds delicious.

We had pan fried steak, medium rare, thinly sliced, served with broccoli and noodles and a simple sauce of honey, soy, garlic, chili and a dash of vinegar.

• Advertisement

That sounds really interesting, about capturing the smoke.

Fresh habaneros are hard to find, but if I want only one cup of sauce, I might use just 2 or chillies? Sometimes I do find them in the Tesco mixed chilli pack.

I'm a big fan of hot sauces, but have never used them as a marinade or for coating meat prior to cooking 🤔

Advertisement