Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Reeves restaurant in Templeogue. We got a couple of takeaways from there during lockdowns, finally visited them for indoor dining!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Salmon with some tomatoey herby spicy rice and beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

no disrespect but tomato and rice doesn't work for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love tomato rice, and if it comes out a bit sticky, more the better. Also Jollof rice, I've yet to attempt...

That salmon looks excellent @Dave_The_Sheep Nom!

• Advertisement

I'm eating a bit late, but it is fried pork dumplings, Tokyo turnip (just little white turnips, basically) poached in dashi soy sauce. I might make some noodles too, let's see...

Oh, I also have a jar of Korean preserved cabbage. All of these things from my local Asian store, Jia Jia.

Dumplings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Asian marinade fried chicken, asian slaw, gochujang mayo, brioche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

Recipe??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Pad Thai, picked up a Blue dragon kit on offer during the week as emergency pantry meal. Was stuck for something quick this evening to rustle up. Recipe is just for to add prawns, egg, spring onion and bean sprouts. Had the first 3 but used a frozen stir fry mix and some chicken too. Pretty decent for a kit.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those Tokyo turnips are lovely!

I've just sliced them into rounds and grilled them. I never thought I'd get excited about turnips!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Coriander an honey marinated lamb, and taboulleh

Lamb is a Yottam recipe

https://www.lisacohenfitness.com/blog/chef-ottolenghis-marinated-rack-of-lamb-with-cilantro-amp-honey

Quick veggie Thai-ish curry that ended up getting prawns thrown into it because I had them in the freezer.

They are very nice, but mine needed to cook for a bit in the dashi broth to soften. Nice to know they turned out nice when grilled, I thought they would have been still too hard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I bought a loaf of Arbutus sourdough, and I figures it would be beautiful with onion soup. I wasn''t wrong!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I made a Tuscan Chicken Pasta recipe from the Very Hungry Greek, it was very straightforward and delicious. I still managed to mess up one of the steps so I'll give it another try 😁

Unpopular food opinion ;

I like French Onion Soup and I like grilled cheese, but together??

Just no. Soggy bread. It's all wrong.

I'd happily eat toasted cheese on the side with French Onion Soup, though.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

If it was for what I posted above...

For the chicken: I used a marinade recipe from the "And for mains" cookbook by Rick Higgins and Gareth Smith. I don't have it to hand right now but it was more or less your bog-standard asian marinade... Garlick, soy, mirin, oil, some herbs and a blended red onion. A minimum of 4 hours marinading boneless chicken thighs.

For breading the chicken in panko they don't use a beaten egg, they go straight from dredging the chicken in seasoned flour to rolling in panko and frying... But I always find that means that the fried coating peels off too easily, I always dredge in flour, then dip in beaten egg, then finish in the panko, and it holds together much better.

The gochujang mayo is literally just Korean gochujang chili paste mixed with regular mayonnaise.

The asian slaw... Again, any bog-standard asian slaw recipe from anywhere would do.

Served it in Aldi brioche buns.

Reverse sear rib of beef with some leftovers from the weekend, pita, some salads, a few home made chips.

Not bad beef - from Aldi.

I love browning meat, so satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Advertisement

I LOVE soggy cheese toasts dipped into onion soup. 😋

The butchers didn't have lamb kebab, so grill steak will do. Lots of urfa chilli paste in here. Very smoky 😋

Nah, the soggy bread is one of THE most important things with French onion soup. And that's why a good bread is so important, too : the bottom soaks up the delicious soup, while the top stays crunchy. A spoonful of bread, cheese and soup is an amazing combination of flavours and textures.

You never dunk bread in your soup? Or biscuits in your tea? Or croissants in your coffee? 😉

Difference in these cases is the moisture is added just before you put it in your mouth. Very different situation.

Similarly, I don't like nachos but dipping a tortilla chip in something before eating it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I have never had tea or coffee, so no for those. 😜

I will occasionally dip bread in leek and potato soup but for a few seconds only so the bread doesn’t get soggy, plus leek and potato soup is usually more viscous so the bread has more of a coating than being wet like your example.

I never thought my childhood favourite could be so controversial! 😅

My brothers and I used to fight over the bread and cheese, and often leave the rest of the soup uneaten, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

IgCorcaigh can you tell me where you got them green chilies, i love them, usually get an extra portion of them whit the grilled chicken kebab in the istanbul in cork, have scoured cork city and can not find them. TIA

Olive stall in the English Market TAL. They're served fresh so you can buy whatever amount you like, and they are very good. Hot but not terribly so. I love them.

You might be able to buy the jarred versions in Mr. Bells or Bradley's too, but I haven't looked there recently.

• Advertisement

Chicken chiccaron tacos. With a slaw and hibiscus infused chilli salsa.

Advertisement