Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Wash the tractor quick

Already done missus. You hardly thought I'd leave it dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

2 inches of rain in 24hrs what's new

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wind here all day but no rain yet, strange. Raining 15 miles away apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Mooooo wrote: »
    Wind here all day but no rain yet, strange. Raining 15 miles away apparently

lucky u... cows in tonight.... the rain is of biblical proportions at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭giveitholly

lucky u... cows in tonight.... the rain is of biblical proportions at the moment....

Where abouts are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Arrived home to a sunny NCD earlier this evening after leaving constant heavy drizzle in Longford. Still dry here at the moment but the wind is getting up.

As an aside the garden hedge is getting outta control and unfortunately I don't have access to the hedge trimmer that I used to use. It was a Tanaka petrol one with a double sided blade. I was thinking of buying this one in B&Q over the weekend. Any thoughts on it.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-easycut-mhtp24-24-5-cc-petrol-hedge-trimmer/1575112_BQ.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    Arrived home to a sunny NCD earlier this evening after leaving constant heavy drizzle in Longford. Still dry here at the moment but the wind is getting up.

As an aside the garden hedge is getting outta control and unfortunately I don't have access to the hedge trimmer that I used to use. It was a Tanaka petrol one with a double sided blade. I was thinking of buying this one in B&Q over the weekend.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-easycut-mhtp24-24-5-cc-petrol-hedge-trimmer/1575112_BQ.prd

I believe in buying where you can get service, they'll know what's a dud when they come back a few times for repairs, they'll know what's giving trouble

As an aside the garden hedge is getting outta control and unfortunately I don't have access to the hedge trimmer that I used to use. It was a Tanaka petrol one with a double sided blade. I was thinking of buying this one in B&Q over the weekend. Any thoughts on it.
    No rain here in westmeath since 1pm

wrangler wrote: »
    I believe in buying where you can get service, they'll know what's a dud when they come back a few times for repairs, they'll know what's giving trouble
    My eldest brother is pretty good at mechanical/techy stuff and has kept my sixteen year old Jonsered ride on mower going.

Reggie. wrote: »
    No rain here in westmeath since 1pm
    I presume you didn't have to put doubles on the dini when sowing the grass seeds in the bog but it would make a great picture :)

• Advertisement

My eldest brother is pretty good at mechanical/techy stuff and has kept my sixteen year old Jonsered ride on mower going.

I didn't really mean for the service but there's some very poor engines on those tools and I didn't see an engine make on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Where abouts are you?

North Kerry

by all accounts making no rain in killarney...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭giveitholly

North Kerry

by all accounts making no rain in killarney...

Its early in the year to have them in by night

Already done missus. You hardly thought I'd leave it dirty

I sowed grass seed on monday, that harrow gathers some thrash, no wonder you changed to the power harrow, we skinned it with the ewes a week after spraying, yet I had to cross it 4 times before I had all the trash dragged to the ditch, It should be a good job now.
    I still have hundreds of single nettles coming on the previous reseed, so typical, the sheep would handle every other sort of weed.
    a neighbour told me it must have come in the seed as he never saw nettles in that field before

I presume you didn't have to put doubles on the dini when sowing the grass seeds in the bog but it would make a great picture :)

Was abit sausey alright but no doubles. The real fun was yesterday with the powerharrow and guttler in the bog. Plenty of new underpants situations there. Luckily there was plenty of firepower nearby if I got stuck

We've been drawing round bales of Spring barley straw from NCD/ East Meath for the last two weeks however I noticed this morning when we arrived into the field that the farmer had a trailer behind the loader with several sets of twin wheels. I was surprised to see them as the ground is dry and he said that they were to stop compaction when they go tilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭older by the day

The lidl or aldi ones have a 3year guarantee, I bought a little battery one. It would last a half an hour or more. Then charge. Very light for high work.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Sounds bad outside here now. Was drizzling on and off all day. Donegal.

I sowed grass seed on monday, that harrow gathers some thrash, no wonder you changed to the power harrow, we skinned it with the ewes a week after spraying, yet I had to cross it 4 times before I had all the trash dragged to the ditch, It should be a good job now.
    I still have hundreds of single nettles coming on the previous reseed, so typical, the sheep would handle every other sort of weed.
    a neighbour told me it must have come in the seed as he never saw nettles in that field before

I use the harrow more than the powerharrow. It's a good thing that it gathers the trash. Sure all that dead material is holding the grass back. Did ya not spray for the nettles?

I use the harrow more than the powerharrow. It's a good thing that it gathers the trash. Sure all that dead material is holding the grass back. Did ya not spray for the nettles?

I'm actually spraying them with the knapsack, trying to preserve the clover, I know noone else would be bothered but stitched in clover never worked here, grass always got the better of it.

But there's hundreds of individual nettles coming between each grazing, one spraying wouldn't have covered it the way they're coming

• Advertisement

I'm actually spraying them with the knapsack, trying to preserve the clover, I know noone else would be bothered but stitched in clover never worked here, grass always got the better of it.

But there's hundreds of individual nettles coming between each grazing, one spraying wouldn't have covered it the way they're coming

Were you stitching clover at the right time

Were you stitching clover at the right time

Tried it last year with the harrow in early august, it came up but didn't seem to compete and didn't come this year,
    Also tried it on bare paddocks over the years, if you're grass measuring you add 25% for a sheep pasture over a cattle pasture and there in lies the problem, much much thicker pastures at low level.
    It only takes an hour or so with the knapsack to do the nettles individually, it'd be some mess next year if I left them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,125 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sunny here now. A good bit of rain last night

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

Heavy blustery short lived showers here. Coat and hoody on for the first time in a while. Another dry spell would be nice before housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

The rain warnings proved correct, unreal rain here yesterday and overnight. Has to have been one of the wettest August’s on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,125 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mayota wrote: »
    The rain warnings proved correct, unreal rain here yesterday and overnight. Has to have been one of the wettest August’s on record.

September tomorrow yay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sunny day with wind. Odd shower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

In cork we had some bit of rain overnight, but blue skies all morning, getting a bit cloudy now. But all in all, fine day so far...

Think we avoided the most of the heavy rain yesterday...

Tried it last year with the harrow in early august, it came up but didn't seem to compete and didn't come this year,
    Also tried it on bare paddocks over the years, if you're grass measuring you add 25% for a sheep pasture over a cattle pasture and there in lies the problem, much much thicker pastures at low level.
    It only takes an hour or so with the knapsack to do the nettles individually, it'd be some mess next year if I left them

Red or white clover

• Advertisement

Rain wasnt too bad here in fairness

Advertisement