Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dry ciders

• 30-10-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

The only cider I enjoy is Inch's Stonehouse Cider. What other ciders would be equally dry/bitter?

I can't stand sickly sweet ciders (and everything else I try seems to be very very sweet).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The only cider I enjoy is Inch's Stonehouse Cider. What other ciders would be equally dry/bitter?

I can't stand sickly sweet ciders (and everything else I try seems to be very very sweet).

Druids?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Devil's Bit?

There's a whole world of "craft" ciders: Stonewells, MacIvors, various Weston's brands, Con's, Little Island, Mac's Armagh, Savanna, M&S do some decent ones, Tempted?, Aspalls. Most of those are either dry or have a dry version. Would highly recommend Stonewells (comes in two versions, Dry and Medium)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could try some of the own brands, most are more like stonehouse than say bulmers. Lidls and tescos are nice enough.

I would drink stonewell if out in a pub, but cannot bring myself to pay for it from an offie.

4.40 for 500ml in drinkstore, 4.25 in o briens.

If you're used to paying for Stonehouse then a lot of these recommendations are a fair price difference.

At the lesser end you'd have Armagh and The Crafty Brewing from Lidl/Aldi at e2.25 each.
    rubadub wrote: »
    You could try some of the own brands, most are more like stonehouse than say bulmers. Lidls and tescos are nice enough.

I would drink stonewell if out in a pub, but cannot bring myself to pay for it from an offie.

4.40 for 500ml in drinkstore, 4.25 in o briens.

Ya the price of Stockwell in off licenses is ridiculous.
    Possibly the most expensive drink that isn't a high ACL.

At least in a pub its only a tad extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Thanks for the responses. I've tried devils bit, either aldi/lidl own brand (cant remember which) and Maeloc (Galician Cider from N.W. Spain). They're still a lot different in taste to stonehouse i.e. much sweeter. I guess Devils Bit was ok'ish - perhaps an acquired taste. Maeloc was ok - but still not getting a match for that bitter taste of stonehouse. I'll keep trying and see what comes up.

I'm traditionally a beer (as in naturally brewed without chemicals) drinker but have been advised to switch to cider (and preferably a gluten free cider with the least sugar content as possible) for health reasons. That's the reason I have not experimented much with various ciders (and unlike beers, if I end up with one I don't like, I really can't stand it whereas I find the differences between beers to be much more subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Longueville House Cider is beautiful.

Available in O'Briens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

preferably a gluten free cider
    apples have no gluten so ciders should inherently be gluten free. Searching there I see some rare cases where there could be traces of gluten from the yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

rubadub wrote: »
    apples have no gluten so ciders should inherently be gluten free. Searching there I see some rare cases where there could be traces of gluten from the yeast.

Yes, some state the fact (orchard thieves & Maeloc) - others don't specify. I had mailed Stonehouse (which is opened by one of the big brewers/drinks groups...I *think* it's Heineken Group) to confirm - but didn't receive a response.

I'm also interested as regards sugar content. There doesn't seem to be any info on this. Would it be reasonable to expect that a bitter tasting cider would likely have a lower sugar content than sweeter ones? Have been advised to cut down on sugar intake also (insofar as is possible - still have to live and need to have a few drinks on the weekend!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I think this great cider has fallen victim to BREXIT for our shores at least

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Black Cloud

Strongbow is pretty decent. McHughs off licence stock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,913 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The UK has great ciders, even outside the West Country. There are great ciders in Tesco over there. Old Rosie was a really good dry, tart cider. It come in great 3L glass bottles for about a fiver.
    https://groceries.asda.com/product/apple-cider/old-rosie-the-original-cloudy-cider/1000153285543?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_--_-dskwid-s92700058697772807_dm&s_kwcid=AL!11432!3!459891151428!!!g!333597149458!&ds_rl=1254319&gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x2O-Fz1AQ0lBbOy8oz229aJovn47CwnGvzNfHnQptoy5XUcWegtE4xoC-n8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And Wyld Wood came in a 3L box and it was lovely too. A bit less tart and dry than old Rosie.
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/260343271

Oh and Farmer Jim is a lovely cider. Also comes in boxes.

Well worth having a look online.

Strongbow is pretty decent. McHughs off licence stock it.

Strongbow is the cider I drink in pubs most time

Aspall far superior product but is pricey for home drinking. Not always available in pubs in UK too

And cans Strongbow nice every now and then. Also a real cider style compared alcopop style we mostly go for. But if I drink it too often I get an odd after taste off it

Trip up north needed soon. Our northern brethern know good cider too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement