Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buildings Gone forever

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

road_high wrote: »
    To preserve the architectural heritage of the street. Dublin st in Carlow is a nice example of late 19th century street scape. It has a lot of merit despite being so neglected for decades

Personally I think much of Dublin St is an eyesore with closed up buildings and empty shops. But given the state of Tullow St I don't hold out much hope for Dublin St getting any kind of make over.

Tbh while the way the building was demolished was reprehensible and I hope those responsible are punished I don't see what was so special about the building.

I hear people talking about their memories but "chinny hollands", Lambert's and Atkinson's toy shop were just as much a part of Carlow and they are gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think you'll find it wasn't a car park that was sold with the hotel :rolleyes:

As per the actual brochure "25 Dublin Street. Shop unit with apartment over, separate side entrance to rear garden with a hardcore surface and parking facilities for approx. 15 cars".

Parking Facilities to me = a car-park which is what the previous owners used it as.

As per some of the 65-68 T/A Reviews car-parking was at such a premium that they had an understanding with another accommodation provider to use their car-park on Brown St. for over-flow.

Getting 15 cars in there as it was was being optimistic; getting all 15 out again unscathed even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

Owryan wrote: »
    Personally I think much of Dublin St is an eyesore with closed up buildings and empty shops. But given the state of Tullow St I don't hold out much hope for Dublin St getting any kind of make over.

Tbh while the way the building was demolished was reprehensible and I hope those responsible are punished I don't see what was so special about the building.

Dublin St is easily the nicest street in carlow. Yes it has come on hard times in the last 5 years or so, but that will pass too. Its essential that the streetscape is preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Owryan wrote: »

I hear people talking about their memories but "chinny hollands", Lambert's and Atkinson's toy shop were just as much a part of Carlow and they are gone too.

It's not an eyesore in an overall sense, it's the current state of it with the empty shops and general run down-ness. If it was majorly and tastefully refurbished it could be a lovely street as it's a very original streetscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fits wrote: »
    Whatever about the buildings long term viabililty, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. And this was definitely the wrong way.
    That Barristor seems to have a good grasp of the developers bits at the moment hopefully she takes off like a train and puts them back in their box!
    Rum Ham! wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, but the building was clearly of no use to them and straight across the road from the hotel. So why not make that into their car park? :rolleyes:
    There was space for about 15 cars but only if they were small cars, I saw a guy trying to get a 4door Ford Focus out one day and it took about a dozen back and forth movements to reverse out from the space at the wall and turn the car back towards the street, then it was take in the mirrors and inch out deadly slowly so as not to scratch the sides on the narrow entrance. leaving in any larger vehicle could easily take more than 30 minutes:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Drove by it earlier, not sure what they were thinking about...looks hideous and tiny. Hard to see how you'd get 15 cars in there...

Advertisement