Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buildings Gone forever

Options
  • 30-10-2016 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

So another building gone forever. What's your memories of this building?

what other buildings are gone?

jajh4z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Forget about the building gone forever. Your man underneath will be gone forever if he's not careful. what Omadhaun demolished all the supporting walls and left the roof. :eek:

That's a pic for the HSA and son to be on your next safepass course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The Royal Hotel in Dublin st? Also the old sugar factory.
    Was this building of any merit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Was that Charlie Timmons cobbler shop?
    I think that the old or original walls of Carlow town were there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Ihglcc

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Forget about the building gone forever. Your man underneath will be gone forever if he's not careful. what Omadhaun demolished all the supporting walls and left the roof. :eek:

That's a pic for the HSA and son to be on your next safepass course.

I a reminded of that Fawlty Towers Episode now lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Was there a preservation order on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Anybody know what's going to be going in there?

Rum Ham! wrote: »
    Anybody know what's going to be going in there?

Carpark

Ihglcc wrote: »
    Carpark

Is there a need for another car park in town? I drove past it today and they were working in there, site goes pretty far back I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Is there a need for another car park in town? I drove past it today and they were working in there, site goes pretty far back I suppose

Yes. There is. It's not a public car-park; it'll be for the owners, staff & guests/customers of the hotel.

It was sold on basis of having 15 Car-Parking Spaces with it but that's being a tad optimistic.

As for how far back the site extends to it's been pushed back & cleared; prior to now it wasn't half length it is & if I have my bearings/Geography correct it goes to end of somewhere in between Brown St. Car-Park & Irishmans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was there a preservation order on it?

Afaik it was a listed building or subject of a preservation order due to it being so old and possibly one of the oldest shops on the street.

Had the chinese owners sold the Courthouse hotel and this place? Maybe the new owners wanted more parking or plan to build and wanted a clear site?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik it was a listed building or subject of a preservation order due to it being so old and possibly one of the oldest shops on the street.

Had the chinese owners sold the Courthouse hotel and this place? Maybe the new owners wanted more parking or plan to build and wanted a clear site?

Shop & Accommodation above it & car-park beside it came with hotel sale >

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/the-courthouse-hotel-25-dublin-st-carlow-town-carlow/3347973

Looks solid enough and the worst thing about this and the other buildings torn down around the town is how impotent the council are in taking action against their business cronies.

68a74e90-3fde-449e-bb75-e126d9b7f647_l.jpg

They have done enough damage there to make sure the rest either collapses or is ordered demolished for safety reasons. In other countries they would be ordered to rebuild it exactly as it was or face years in prison.

foggy_lad wrote: »

yes the chans lost 99% of the holdings and hey owned the hotel and that building and didnt have any money for a major reform of this kind

It was a 3* but seems to have gained an extra * recently

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Yes. There is. It's not a public car-park; it'll be for the owners, staff & guests/customers of the hotel.

It was sold on basis of having 15 Car-Parking Spaces with it but that's being a tad optimistic.

As for how far back the site extends to it's been pushed back & cleared; prior to now it wasn't half length it is & if I have my bearings/Geography correct it goes to end of somewhere in between Brown St. Car-Park & Irishmans?

Ah very good makes sense so..

It was levelled when I drove past it today. Guys in there working too. Definitely looked capable of holding 15 cars anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

The co-owner of the adjoining premises has secured a court order today preventing any further demolition work.

Irish Times article

I have ben keeping tabs and updating on my Carlow Gazette FB Group would welcome any contributions there lads.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarlowHeritageGazette/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nairb70s

Remember that the Royal Hotel was knocked because there was a 'default' planning decision granted by the high court because the Council did not assess the application in time.

I drove passed this morning and how they got away with that is beyond me.

There is no requirement for parking in that location. There's a surface park with 100+ spaces just down the road.

It smacks of a developer doing whatever he likes and to he'll with the planners. Hopefully they follow through with the judgement and take the develope to the cleaners.

I'm all for progress in an otherwise dreary street but this work is a step backwards in my opinion.

In other news I heard someone set fire to the hospital over the weekend. Any reports on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In other news I heard someone set fire to the hospital over the weekend. Any reports on this?
    Extensive damage was caused by a fire at St Dympna’s Hospital in Carlow overnight.

It broke out shortly before 1am this morning at the site on the Athy Road.

A passer-by heard a window smash, saw the smoke inside and called the emergency services.

The fire service remained on site until about 5.30 this morning and Gardaí are awaiting a forensic examination.

Staff have been briefed and sent home for the time being.

Carlow Fire Chief, Alan O’Neill, told KCLR News this morning that units from surrounding areas had to be called in.

There was nobody in the building at the time.

http://kclr96fm.com/emergency-services-attend-fire-st-dympnas-hospital-carlow/

• Advertisement

I drove passed this morning and how they got away with that is beyond me.

There is no requirement for parking in that location. There's a surface park with 100+ spaces just down the road.

It smacks of a developer doing whatever he likes and to he'll with the planners. Hopefully they follow through with the judgement and take the develope to the cleaners.

I'm all for progress in an otherwise dreary street but this work is a step backwards in my opinion.

This bit I've underlined in bold & underlined? That.

No requirement perhaps (and we're all entitled to our opinions) but there is a need if you're the hotel owner for their staff, guests & visitors.

The initial car-park that was part of the portfolio came with an optimistic 15 spaces.

This isn't for public use per se as I've said.

Previous owners'd an agreement with a nearby accommodation provider to take in over spill when the car-park (and that description was being kind!) was full around the corner on Brown St.

Whatever about the permissions regarding demolition this hand-wringing & politician blaming smacks to me of folk (who I won't mention on here but who I've seen commenting elsewhere) who regard themselves as historians & knowledgeable of the street talking the talk but not walking the walk.

If they care that much then why not purchase the shop/flat and yard (to give it its proper description) in the past?

When did P.J. (?) or Cheasty (sp?) Murrays Ice Cream Parlour & Sweet Shop close down & how long has it laid vacant?

Or why not, in interim petition the different councils to have a preservation order attached or have it listed under protected structures if it was of such architectural, archaeological or historical importance?

To me it should've been on derelict sites act; indeed a neighbouring shop used to store product there and mentioned it was falling down & there was damp & mould inside.

Added to that is that is was most recently being used as a squat & a shooting gallery (hence why the shop door & ground & top floor windows had to be boarded up).

But yeah, no, let's rebuild, restore it to what it was, an eye-sore just because of some sense of vengeance & sentimentality huh?

And fine the owner/s because that'll help create employment (internally it's being fitted out currently) and not forgetting the ridiculous rates that'll be imposed upon them for size of building.

Having a car park filling the gap left by a demolished eyesore is a terrible street environment. If they really wanted to use the space out back for parking, they should have been made to install an archway type entrance underneath and access it that way. Otherwise it's a non runner and is just an 80s approach to urban planning.

I see your point but keep in mind I'm only a blow in to the town and I find it utterly unacceptable what has happened that building let alone the gunthering that has taken place to cover the gable end wall of the once adjoining buildings.

As for their over optimistic aim of 15 spaces that is farcical. Perhaps if the cars were dropped into place.

If parking is needed for business purposes could it not be sourced elsewhere? surely there must be a better location.

At the end of the day town planners in Carlow haven't got a notion. The town has been designed by the blind leading the blind and a series of mistakes covering up previous mistakes.

I'm all for moving forward and hold no sense on nostalgia towards buildings that once were and sadly are no more but be proactive about their replacement.

Carlow planners are knee jerk and demand driven I'm not sure any of them have an ounce of foresight and the extension to the N80 clearly shows this. Why stop where it did? So a developer will have road frontage for his new development. (must have been a big brown envelope.) IT should have been extended down and over the river.

Also the ring road to nowhere starting at MSD another corporate driven project?

Carlow town has made no use of its assets. Look at the boardwalk. A job well done and what about the green field sites and derelict building no doubt ear marked for a developer to build a monstrosity of an apartment block.

Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There will be a High Court hearing about this tomorrow.
    The High Court hearing regarding No 25 Dublin Street, Carlow will take place tomorrow morning.

Notices have gone up on the railings of the site, where just last week the building known as Chesty Murray’s stood – to say that no works can be carried out there for the time being.

The building was demolished unexpectedly at the weekend.

A High Court action was subsequently taken by Elaine Morgan against Slaneygio Limited and an interim order was granted to stop works.

The hearing has been scheduled for 10.45 am tomorrow.

http://kclr96fm.com/high-court-hearing-demolition-chesty-murrays-sweetshop-takes-place-tomorrow/

Great to see that the hotel will be opening again. As for the car park, why would they source it elsewhere when it was sold with the hotel, they would surely need it. The building looked dreadful and I can only imagine would have cost a fortune to restore.

The whole street is in an architectural conservation area but big brown envelopes are biodegradable. The yard of number 25 goes right back to the Irishman's car park but the site is so narrow it is difficult to park cars side by side against the wall as there is little room to reverse them out again.

Great to see that the hotel will be opening again. As for the car park, why would they source it elsewhere when it was sold with the hotel, they would surely need it. The building looked dreadful and I can only imagine would have cost a fortune to restore.

I think you'll find it wasn't a car park that was sold with the hotel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whatever about the buildings long term viabililty, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. And this was definitely the wrong way.

I think you'll find it wasn't a car park that was sold with the hotel :rolleyes:

I'm aware of that, but the building was clearly of no use to them and straight across the road from the hotel. So why not make that into their car park? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm aware of that, but the building was clearly of no use to them and straight across the road from the hotel. So why not make that into their car park? :rolleyes:

To preserve the architectural heritage of the street. Dublin st in Carlow is a nice example of late 19th century street scape. It has a lot of merit despite being so neglected for decades

Advertisement