Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Crash

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's getting to the stage level crossing barriers will have to be installed at every junction

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ED E wrote: »
    Add a bye law:
    - Any driver who collides with a luas in the wrong
    - Any driver who collides with a railway structure
    shall be banned from driving for life.

Put signs at the appropriate junctions. Reduce the number of darwin awards that need to be issued.
    You see, you never hear how these things get followed up. One would expect at a minimum that the Gardai would proceed to prosecute him on a dangerous driving charge. You can't collide with an object on rails unless you're driving dangerously.

Hopefully the jump in his insurance premium might force him off the road. But people are rarely that pragmatic when it comes to driving and would rather put themselves in serious debt than give up their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

seamus wrote: »
    You see, you never hear how these things get followed up. One would expect at a minimum that the Gardai would proceed to prosecute her on a dangerous driving charge. You can't collide with an object on rails unless you're driving dangerously.

Hopefully the jump in her insurance premium might force her off the road. But people are rarely that pragmatic when it comes to driving and would rather put themselves in serious debt than give up their car.

If the article is correct it was as a male motorist and not a female driver..you may have been confused by the article's sub-headline phrasing.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

Spot on. Corrected, thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ED E wrote: »
    Add a bye law:
    - Any driver who collides with a luas in the wrong
    - Any driver who collides with a railway structure
    shall be banned from driving for life.

Put signs at the appropriate junctions. Reduce the number of darwin awards that need to be issued.

You could add buses to that list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Near miss again yesterday - quick question, LEGALLY can cyclists ride on LUAS tracks ?

Coming down from James' to Heuston last night one was going at a hell of a lick, no lights or anything - against the LUAS (i.e. LUAS coming from Museum and cyclist on same track going opposite way).

That has to be illegal surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Near miss again yesterday - quick question, LEGALLY can cyclists ride on LUAS tracks ?

Coming down from James' to Heuston last night one was going at a hell of a lick, no lights or anything - against the LUAS (i.e. LUAS coming from Museum and cyclist on same track going opposite way).

That has to be illegal surely ?

I kinda thought it wasn't legal and it seems like it isn't but many cyclists don't factor the law too much into their decision making. I think they are required to have lights too.

http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/19/cycling-fines-what-you-need-to-know-from-august-1/

psinno wrote: »
    I kinda thought it wasn't legal and it seems like it isn't but many cyclists don't factor the law too much into their decision making. I think they are required to have lights too.

http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/19/cycling-fines-what-you-need-to-know-from-august-1/

Cheers for that. Even by some stretch of the imagination - if it was legal to play chicken with a ten tonne tram, it's bloody ridiculous!!!

It's legal to cycle on some LUAS tracks - I think all the same ones as cars can drive on, though there may be one or two exceptions.

The section from James's to Heuston is messy because there's about 100m at the Heuston end of Steeven's lane where it's not legal, but then it's perfectly legal on the rest. They made a serious error by not including a cycle track there.

It's legal to cycle on some LUAS tracks - I think all the same ones as cars can drive on, though there may be one or two exceptions.

The section from James's to Heuston is messy because there's about 100m at the Heuston end of Steeven's lane where it's not legal, but then it's perfectly legal on the rest. They made a serious error by not including a cycle track there.

Thanks, I didn't know that. So you have to go through an illegal spot to get from one legal one to another ? Jesus that's messed up planning that!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

There are some small parts of the luas where it shares space with cars (I haven't been on it there in years) but I presume they are signal controlled so cars (and bikes) are not supposed to be on it at the same times as the luas.

There are some small parts of the luas where it shares space with cars (I haven't been on it there in years) but I presume they are signal controlled so cars (and bikes) are not supposed to be on it at the same times as the luas.

Dude last night obviously realised he couldn't hit a tram and walk away - and so rode on the platform!

I mean c'mon!

Yeah, "not supposed to be", though it can't really be controlled; traffic is traffic. Looking at the lines now the number of shared spaces are far less than I thought they were. Really only Abbey Street, Steeven's lane/James's St and the Point end of the docklands. And a couple of crossover points like Gardiner Street & Adelaide Road.

There'll be more fun & games with the BXD line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where I lived in Germany, the central town square looked like this ...

00_big.jpg

Imagine the carnage if that was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭trellheim

there are some old black and white pics of dublin round 1900's that look like that.

Advertisement