Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

gahsux wrote: »
    Yet another Red line Luas crash::mad:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/five-reported-injured-as-tour-bus-crashes-into-luas-in-smithfield-761494.html

Why are motor vehicles still allowed on these 'lane ways' that intersect and interfere with the passage of one of the major modes of public transport in the city?

You should be asking why are drivers not able to stop where the red light is located and not past the red light in a yellow box.

Lots more to come with BXD I suspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/five-reported-injured-as-tour-bus-crashes-into-luas-in-smithfield-761494.html

Why are motor vehicles still allowed on these 'lane ways' that intersect and interfere with the passage of one of the major modes of public transport in the city?

While studiously avoiding comment on the case in hand, I wonder will some/many drivers in Ireland be able to stop driving like d*cks? That would solve problems but won't happen.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Looks like the bus t-boned the luas. Bus seems to be on a normal road though, what do you mean by "lane ways"?

Cv2P4RmUsAI0z78.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Did he just forget to stop?! Like that's half way down the Luas. He had to have seen it surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭Patser

RTE have nice photos of it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1028/827554-luas-tourist-bus-crash-dublin/

As for using that Laneway, it's into Smithfield, where the Old Jameson Distillery is so fairly legitimate for a tour bus to go in. Unless you want Open Top Tour buses to not be allowed go by Trinity College Gate, GPO, Jameson distillery, down to Phoenix Park or Kilmainham, as they all involve crossing, or will involve crossing when BXD finishes, luas lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Problem with the brakes possibly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Patser wrote: »
    RTE have nice photos of it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1028/827554-luas-tourist-bus-crash-dublin/

As for using that Laneway, it's into Smithfield, where the Old Jameson Distillery is so fairly legitimate for a tour bus to go in. Unless you want Open Top Tour buses to not be allowed go by Trinity College Gate, GPO, Jameson distillery, down to Phoenix Park or Kilmainham, as they all involve crossing, or will involve crossing when BXD finishes, luas lines.

Except the distillery is closed until 2017. Seems pointless to be routing there now.

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/ie/visit-us/oldjamesondistillery

sullivlo wrote: »
    Did he just forget to stop?! Like that's half way down the Luas. He had to have seen it surely.

Actually pretty close to front of Luas (just out of left of photo). Wonder did he stuck his nose out a bit too much, so that tapered front of luas made it by but wider body hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Looking at the photo's I'd suspect either the Bus driver had some sort of medical issue and lost control of the bus or there was some sort of mechanical failure on the bus and it failed to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Actually pretty close to front of Luas (just out of left of photo). Wonder did he stuck his nose out a bit too much, so that tapered front of luas made it by but wider body hit.

He got the second section, just out of frame is the front main module which as you can see from the rear is fairly long compared to the mid sections.. The Red Line trams are 5 module units.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The Luas was heading towards Tallaght according to RTE, so more towards the back so the driver would have seen the majority of it go by him?

EDIT: Nevermind - realise I was looking at it from the wrong angle

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Except the distillery is closed until 2017. Seems pointless to be routing there now.

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/ie/visit-us/oldjamesondistillery

Didn't realise that....

Have they to stick to licenced routes? Maybe there's still demand to see/photograph the distillery?

000d1623-614.jpg

Looks pretty half-way to me so plenty of time to see the Luas

He got the second section, just out of frame is the front main module which as you can see from the rear is fairly long compared to the mid sections.. The Red Line trams are 5 module units.

Was just on way in to say you're right and post the picture above by Cheez

Was just on way in to say you're right and post the picture above by Cheez

That's "Mr" to you :P

He clipped drivers cab first and scrapped all along until the Luas came to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

MarkR wrote: »
    Looks like the bus t-boned the luas. Bus seems to be on a normal road though, what do you mean by "lane ways"?

I use the Red line on an almost daily basis and it frequently grates on my nerves at the time lost while waiting at traffic lights both minor and major.
    This is in fact a lane - 'Lincoln lane' continuing north onto Bow street. Both of which should have long since been pedestrianised.

I believe the Luas as a major mode of transport should have utmost priority through this section of the city. In short; the road traffic light respond to what the Luas is doing not vice-versa.

I can't recall how many passengers a current (extended) full Luas now carries. I seem to recall that the previous smaller versions carried 256 people. I did read some time ago that a full double-decker bus carrying 80 people was equated to 1.5 miles of car traffic. I have not been able to find the source of this statement but if it is remotely accurate, should be forefront in planner's mind when they allow motor traffic from a lane to intersect with a tram line.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bus was on a pedestrian street?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Empty tour bus, probably anxious to make his way back to the depot or to his pick-up point.

Not implying anything...

{edit: Though obviously the tour bus would have been emptied after the crash. D'oh}

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    He clipped drivers cab first and scrapped all along until the Luas came to a stop.

HE?
    how does one know it was a he?

The luas is the wrong colour. Everything is grey today with the cloud cover.

Didn't Man U get rid of grey shirts complaining that they couldn't pick out their players?

Dubs colours I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's why they added the yellow stripes to the trams about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

That's why they added the yellow stripes to the trams about 10 years ago.

That obviously worked then...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Firemen must have been so disappointed when they didn't need their massive tools to take the roof off the bus...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

seamus wrote: »
    Empty tour bus, probably anxious to make his way back to the depot or to his pick-up point.

Not implying anything...

{edit: Though obviously the tour bus would have been emptied after the crash. D'oh}

Well they did get to see the Luas.

Up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/luas-crash-several-injuries-and-investigation-begins-after-tour-bus-collides-with-tram-in-city-centre-35169617.html

"There was a big loud bang and then you could see all the shattered glass. A few of the passengers had dropped to the floor of the tram. The other thing I noticed was the druggies trying to get into the situation and rob the injured," he said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

It's Smithfield - that sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gotta love the northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ED E wrote: »
    Gotta love the northside.

I amn't biting or offended. Indeed not even from Dublin! But what does this mean............ The crash ratio is higher on the whole of the red line but there are a lot of mitigating factors for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

So Luas and Dublin Bus drivers have both been striking and awarded pay rises - and then theyy crash! Well those were payrises well spent!

Teachers and Gardaí - be careful on the roads!

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    So Luas and Dublin Bus drivers have both been striking and awarded pay rises - and then theyy crash! Well those were payrises well spent!

Teachers and Garda - be careful on the roads!

Was not DB and a Luas driver cant get out of the way.

Advertisement