Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of travelling to work is becoming unsustainable

Options
  • 27-10-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1011/823151-iarnrod-eireann-car-park/

I am sick of being screwed for my hard earned salary by all and sundry. Sick of trying to find a seat on a train in the morning full of people who don't pay anything to travel and could more than likely travel on a later train if they wished. Sick of racketeering extortionist borderline criminal car park operators who make the Kray twins look like amateurs. A woman who put her valid parking ticket upside down in her car was clamped in my local train station car park.

It is getting to the stage where it is costing me too much to travel to work and I might be better off sitting on my backside all day on benefits. I am not the only person who feels this way. No offence to those who lost their jobs through no fault of their own in recent years. However the cost of working is getting more and more unsustainable. Increases in car tax, car insurance, commuting ticket costs and now parking costs at the local train station. Throw the odd clamping fine in for good measure.

This government seems to be hell bent on destroying rural Ireland and locating as many jobs in Dublin as possible What incentive is there to work in this country when the roads to Dublin are clogged every morning by 7am, rail travel costs a fortune, rent and housing in the Dublin is unaffordable for people on an average salary and if you live outside the city and commute most of your disposable income is eaten up by commuting costs.

No wonder some people don't see the point of working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where do you live and where do you work?
    How does an increase in car tax or car insurance affect the cost of travelling to work? You'ld have to pay that if you had a car and didn't work. You even have to pay it if you just get the train and don't use your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Where do you live and where do you work?
    How does an increase in car tax or car insurance affect the cost of travelling to work? You'ld have to pay that if you had a car and didn't work. You even have to pay it if you just get the train and don't use your car.

If you have a car and you work an increase in car tax or car insurance will affect the cost of travelling to work. If you don't work then it doesn't matter because the taxpayer is indirectly paying for your car and tax insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I have a car. I paid my motor tax yesterday. It cost 200, where it used to cost 104.
    I cycle to work.
    The cost to me getting to work has not increased. The cost of having a car has.
    If I don't work the same taxpayer i.e. me is paying my motor tax.

If you posted your commute, it's likely posters would suggest lower cost alternatives, if they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Emme wrote: »
    If you have a car and you work an increase in car tax or car insurance will affect the cost of travelling to work. If you don't work then it doesn't matter because the taxpayer is indirectly paying for your car and tax insurance.

If you drive to the station in Carlow you could make your next car an EV. €120 tax and free parking *and* free electricity from the charge point in the Irish Rail car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

n97 mini wrote: »
    If you drive to the station in Carlow you could make your next car an EV. €120 tax and free parking *and* free electricity from the charge point in the Irish Rail car park.

Very useful for the tiny number of people who own glorified milk-floats.

• Advertisement

Don't knock it till you've tried it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I don't drive to work, but I do work and own a car that I use at evenings, weekends and on days off. As a result increases in the cost of motor tax and insurance feature as an increased cost of lifestyle, for want of a better term, but not an increase in the cost of me getting to and from work. Of course you might be suggesting that so long as you use the car to travel to work, the increases feature as an increased cost of getting to work, but that is only true if you would otherwise not own and operate the car if you were not working. To say that "If you don't work then it doesn't matter" is being more churlish than anything else, as plenty of people do not work but still have to run a car at the cost of something else, regardless of where the money comes from.

In any case, overall I think you're missing the point that motor tax and insurance are pretty much fixed expenditures in the context of car ownership, and as I said, you can really only classify increases in those costs them as increases in your cost of commuting/travelling to work if the only reason you have the car is because you need it for travel to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1011/823151-iarnrod-eireann-car-park/

I am sick of being screwed for my hard earned salary by all and sundry. Sick of trying to find a seat on a train in the morning full of people who don't pay anything to travel and could more than likely travel on a later train if they wished. Sick of racketeering extortionist borderline criminal car park operators who make the Kray twins look like amateurs. A woman who put her valid parking ticket upside down in her car was clamped in my local train station car park.

It is getting to the stage where it is costing me too much to travel to work and I might be better off sitting on my backside all day on benefits. I am not the only person who feels this way. No offence to those who lost their jobs through no fault of their own in recent years. However the cost of working is getting more and more unsustainable. Increases in car tax, car insurance, commuting ticket costs and now parking costs at the local train station. Throw the odd clamping fine in for good measure.

This government seems to be hell bent on destroying rural Ireland and locating as many jobs in Dublin as possible What incentive is there to work in this country when the roads to Dublin are clogged every morning by 7am, rail travel costs a fortune, rent and housing in the Dublin is unaffordable for people on an average salary and if you live outside the city and commute most of your disposable income is eaten up by commuting costs.

No wonder some people don't see the point of working.

Well as you say free travel is allowed in certain cases and cycling is one of the fastest growing ways of travelling around the city. I would love less cars on the streets in the future but again I live within Dublin so I can see how it would be enormously hassle some for country people.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Well as you say free travel is allowed in certain cases and cycling is one of the fastest growing ways of travelling around the city. I would love less cars on the streets in the future but again I live within Dublin so I can see how it would be enormously hassle some for country people.

When I lived in Dublin I cycled everywhere. I was far happier and healthier than I am now. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy as a single person so I ended up getting a place between Carlow and Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No increase for annual holders and I suspect rates overall won't go up much.

• Advertisement

It is getting to the stage where it is costing me too much to travel to work and I might be better off sitting on my backside all day on benefits..............

So you reckon you could keep your abode etc funded on benefits?

When I lived in Dublin I cycled everywhere. I was far happier and healthier than I am now. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy as a single person so I ended up getting a place between Carlow and Athy.

Deedsie wrote: »
    And you work in Dublin?

Does that surprise you? I'm not the only one in the area who does. Platforms are full at Carlow and Athy stations with commuters every morning and apart from schoolchildren getting off at Athy most of them get off at Heuston.
    Augeo wrote: »
    So you reckon you could keep your abode etc funded on benefits?

I wouldn't think so and I certainly wouldn't want to. However it gets frustrating seeing a fair chunk of your wages go on travel costs. Travel costs aren't the only thing that's rising, there's insurance, car tax and then things not relevant to this forum such as food, prescription drugs, house insurance and health insurance. Everything is going up except workers' wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Deedsie wrote: »
    Not surprised, I just don't understand why you moved away from Dublin if that's where you work? No matter how cheaper a house is in Carlow/Kildare the cost of commuting, financially and anxiety/stress wise would surely add up to the cost of a place somewhere in Dublin or just to rent a place.

The problem presumably is (s)he didn't qualify for a mortgage in Dublin (or anywhere closer) and renting is a mess in this country generally, but particularly in Dublin at the moment because of the lack of supply and rocketing rents as well as the point that no-one (government, landlords or most tenants) treats renting as anything more than a temporary stepping stone on the glorious road to home ownership - something to endure for a while but not something to make a home of.

I sympathise.. I too commute from that sort of distance because it just wasn't worth paying that sort of money JUST to be close to the office - and while yes, commuting isn't cheap (in my case I drive), I pay less than half what I would in Dublin for a similar place (and thus don't have to house share which was fun in my 20s but not so much these days), and am lucky that my job allows me flexible hours and work from home rights.

If this country is going to insist on pushing property ownership as the goal and solution to its problems, while at the same time restricting the supply of that property (both deliberately through the likes of NAMA and FG policy, but also by the refusal to build UP rather than OUT) then we're going to continue to see overcrowded trains and roads for the foreseeable future.

After all, it's all happened before and not that long ago either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Deedsie wrote:
    Not surprised, I just don't understand why you moved away from Dublin if that's where you work? No matter how cheaper a house is in Carlow/Kildare the cost of commuting, financially and anxiety/stress wise would surely add up to the cost of a place somewhere in Dublin or just to rent a place.

It's a double edged sword. Can't afford a home in Dublin move out to afford a home.

There's a lot of like minded people who do this . It's a big shock to couples or families who move down the country to afford a home . Sounds good on paper .... place in country ....get an affordable mortgage . Then the reverse happens it nearly costs more in time and money. it's scary when some people don't factor in the full costs of living in commuter counties.

Unfortunately that's life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I believe that there's jobs outside of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

In 2007 I lived in Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan and I found a job very easily:

I drove a commuter bus taking workers to Dublin every morning and bringing home at night. The bus left about 6.00am and took about 3 hours each way due to traffic congestion. The bus got back at night around 9.00pm.

I have driven buses for 30 years in many countries, but the people on that bus were the most miserable people I ever saw in my whole career as a bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Nomis21 wrote:

Ay god anyone near the the cavan border would have have to be miserable :) . But it's a long day if you are working in Dublin and not home till all hours .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Nomis21 wrote: »

I drove a commuter bus taking workers to Dublin every morning and bringing home at night. The bus left about 6.00am and took about 3 hours each way due to traffic congestion. The bus got back at night around 9.00pm.

I have driven buses for 30 years in many countries, but the people on that bus were the most miserable people I ever saw in my whole career as a bus driver.

That is masochism in its purest form. If I lived in Carrickmacross I'd drive to Dundalk and take the train to Dublin instead.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    That is masochism in its purest form. If I lived in Carrickmacross I'd drive to Dundalk and take the train to Dublin instead.
    Be better taking the bus from Dundalk tbh. :P

Be better taking the bus from Dundalk tbh. :P

Well if that is the sort of thing you like, then that is the sort of thing you would like. :pac:

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    ......both deliberately through the likes of NAMA and FG policy.........

Lots of folks didn't buy pre boom, during the boom or post boom and come out with this speel.

It's not FG policy that has people in their 30s/40s complaining about rent costs and not being able to get mortgages, there needs to be IMO an element of people accepting they are where they are largely due to themselves and the choices they made.

Same logic applies to long commuters, we all make choices, choices have consequences.

I bought my first property in 2005 so I got burned to an extent but I don't blame FG, FF or Nama for my choices.

There is something insane about commuters having 100km+ commutes to Dublin. But not as insane as the low rise building regulations in Dublin. The docklands areas should be full of high rise. IFSC is Dublin's answer to Canary Wharf... yeah right!

n97 mini wrote: »
    There is something insane about commuters having 100km+ commutes to Dublin. But not as insane as the low rise building regulations in Dublin. The docklands areas should be full of high rise. IFSC is Dublin's answer to Canary Wharf... yeah right!

Oh yeah. Four houses to an acre, oversubscribed Catholic schools in suburbs that effectively have to be driven from. Yup, Dublin is really going to clean up :rolleyes:

If our administrative masters hadn't rigidly pursued a policy of managed decline and rural sprawl then we'd be a realistic contender post Brexit. As it is, we aren't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Only solution is to look for a job closer to where you live, even if it's less well paid. You'll save a whole load of money and stress.

There's nothing like working close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I test drove a leaf for a few days when finished with a mazda 6 before buying an Avensis. They are a fantastic car and a no brainer from a financial point if you have a commute the range suits. I didn't get it simply as the boot isn't big enough for two buggies etc to satisfy my wife. Still keep an eye on them and hope to buy one in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Banjoxed wrote: »

The Carrickmacross bus leaves at 6:45 and gets to Dublin at 8 - goes up the motorway and through the port tunnel - much faster than driving. - signed: Miserable Sob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's a joke. I work in Coolock, live in Rush. 25km door to door. And it costs me €120 a month on work related travel on buses that are less than reliable.

That's using a Leap Taxsaver card. It's a farce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it costs you €120 gross or net?

It's a joke. I work in Coolock, live in Rush. 25km door to door. And it costs me €120 a month on work related travel on buses that are less than reliable.

That's using a Leap Taxsaver card. It's a farce.

€6/day to get to and from work and you are complaining :pac:
    Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of folks didn't buy pre boom, during the boom or post boom and come out with this speel.

It's not FG policy that has people in their 30s/40s complaining about rent costs and not being able to get mortgages, there needs to be IMO an element of people accepting they are where they are largely due to themselves and the choices they made.

Same logic applies to long commuters, we all make choices, choices have consequences.

I bought my first property in 2005 so I got burned to an extent but I don't blame FG, FF or Nama for my choices.

I'm not talking about boom-time decisions. I'm talking about the situation in the last 5 years where the powers that be have actively stoked another property-obsessed economy as the basis of a "recovery" while simultaneously keeping huge amounts of residential property off the market via NAMA or selling it at knock-down prices to overseas investors who then swoop in and hike the rents hugely for tenants.

But because "owning a house" is seen as the measure of success in this country, who cares about reforming the rental sector as a REAL long-term alternative to ownership or commuting workers stuck on the M50 every day, right?

Result: Once again many people can't afford to buy in Dublin, many more are struggling to pay rent, and still others are again commuting from 2-counties-over (just as their older friends and relatives did a decade ago!) because it's all they can afford.

And those problems absolutely can be laid at the feet of the majority partner in the current administration.

Advertisement