Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork 2017 Route News & Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 airportlackie

Any new winter routes from Cork hoping to head to Northern Europe for a Christmas market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Paris/Amsterdam/one of the Polish destiations would be the most northern places for xmas markets out of Cork, that is assuming there is xmas markets in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Any new winter routes from Cork hoping to head to Northern Europe for a Christmas market

When you say Northern Europe, do you mean Scandinavia/Nordic Countries. Which have no real tradition of Christamas Fairs, plus they're painfully expensive.

Based on direct experience the best Christmas Fairs are in Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria and Eastern France.

The Daddy of them all has to be Rothenburg ob der Tauber this is total Christmas everywhere you go in the city.

Bear in mind it doesn't usually snow in Europe until January and February unless you go to the Alpine areas.

The Travel Forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37 is better geared to give you more detailed advice we're just a bunch of plane geeks, here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Big cut in Amsterdam flights out of Cork for next year, down from 14 to 9 per week. Only the morning flights and a couple of the evening flights remain. I presume this is to get people to fly LHR and connect, really limits the options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

roundymac wrote: »
    Big cut in Amsterdam flights out of Cork for next year, down from 14 to 9 per week. Only the morning flights and a couple of the evening flights remain. I presume this is to get people to fly LHR and connect, really limits the options available.

There aren't 14 flights each way per week on the route - currently it's only 11.

In May next year the website timetable is showing 11 flights each way at the moment.

It varied according to peak demand levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Does anyone actually know if wow are continuing past oct? I know people who want to go see the northern lights but website isnt going past oct. Condidering iceland is a popular winter break and people flying home from canada for christmas new yrs you would expect demand. And americans visiting family for thankgiving
    I was happy with their service last month. Although it was mostly americans on the flighton the way back. Hope more Irish avail of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

lxflyer wrote: »
    There aren't 14 flights each way per week on the route - currently it's only 11.

In May next year the website timetable is showing 11 flights each way at the moment.

It varied according to peak demand levels.

May next year showing only 9 for me.

Does anyone actually know if wow are continuing past oct? I know people who want to go see the northern lights but website isnt going past oct. Condidering iceland is a popular winter break and people flying home from canada for christmas new yrs you would expect demand. And americans visiting family for thankgiving
    I was happy with their service last month. Although it was mostly americans on the flighton the way back. Hope more Irish avail of it

A week of Christmas demand doesn't make a route, it'll have to survive the rest of December and January, as well as November, February and March. If it can't it may not continue.

Anyway it's only the start of July tomorrow, plenty of time for the route to be continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I know it needs more than 2/3 weeks around christmas but its a growing winter break. I know of a group going to see the northern lights in jan got fed up waiting to see if its extended and have booked to go from dublin instead.
    Must make it hard on the airport management trying to get new routes if they cant get new ones to continue.
    Hopefully it wont be another use it or lose it

I know it needs more than 2/3 weeks christmas but its a growing winter break. I know of a group going to see the northern lights in jan got fed up waiting to see if its extended and have booked to go from dublin instead. Must make it hard on the airport management trying to get new routes if they cant get new ones to continue
    Hopefully it wont be another use it or lose it

Ah for god sakes it's months away, and if they're getting fed up now I'd imagine they'd no real intention of flying from Cork anyway.

I know what you meant by the use it or lose it, but every route is that. If nobody uses it, it'll be lost, like London City, like Prague, like Ibiza.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    May next year showing only 9 for me.

Sorry, I was looking at the timetable rather than the booking engine.

The summer 2018 timetable could yet change - it's not normally finalised till the Autumn and even then could still change.

I wouldn't take it as gospel by any means as yet.

Sorry, I was looking at the timetable rather than the booking engine.

The summer 2018 timetable could yet change - it's not normally finalised till the Autumn and even then could still change.

I wouldn't take it as gospel by any means as yet.

The timetable tends to be an exact replica of the year before until someone changes it, I find the booking engine is more up to date, which is understandable considering that's where they make the money.

I agree, but I doubt they'd be changing it this early without any basis, although I suspect this is as a result of losing the KLM Codeshare, if they get a deal to continue this I could see frequencies going up again

The timetable tends to be an exact replica of the year before until someone changes it, I find the booking engine is more up to date, which is understandable considering that's where they make the money.

I agree, but I doubt they'd be changing it this early without any basis, although I suspect this is as a result of losing the KLM Codeshare, if they get a deal to continue this I could see frequencies going up again

It's still not that dramatic a change in any case - current frequency is 11 per week.

It's still not that dramatic a change in any case - current frequency is 11 per week.

As you said, seasonal demand for the summer, it's 13x outside of June-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They haven't even looked at summer 2018, just about finalized winter 17/18 on the network.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They haven't even looked at summer 2018, just about finalized winter 17/18 on the network.

Strange they'd go to the effort of reducing it whatsoever then isn't it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The KLM codeshare still exists on ORK. They only dropped it on DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Strange they'd go to the effort of reducing it whatsoever then isn't it?

They are just covering themselves in the unlikely event KLM won't extend it beyond March 2018.

L1011 wrote: »
    The KLM codeshare still exists on ORK. They only dropped it on DUB

The Codeshare seems to end at the end of February, coinciding with the reduction of frequency on the ORK route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Makes perfect sense for Aer Lingus to reduce the frequency to AMS if KLM want to end the code share, on the upside at least there's an increased chance of KLM starting their own services to ORK but we'll have to wait and see. 

As part of IAG, Aer Lingus can't realistically continue to feed a rival airline group no matter how long standing the relationship has been. The Heathrow route is up to five daily this summer indicating an increased focus on feed through the London hub over anywhere else, they may well be preparing for a slight retreat at AMS next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement