Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours sleep you get a night?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

About 6 hours usually. I could really do with more, I'm exhausted unless I get 7 hours of sleep, but I can't stomach the thought of being asleep by 10pm just to get up at 5am for work, so I'm usually asleep by 11-11.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Maybe six hours and I'll wake up 2 or 3 times a night and just lie there having an existential crisis for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Usually sleep from about 11.30 till 3 or 4 if I'm lucky. Then doze on and off,toss and turn and torment myself worrying till the youngest is up at 7ish. I spend my life in a shattered daze :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mars Bar wrote: »
    12 hours and still tired? I recommend a trip to the doctor!

Sleeping too long makes you more tired than not getting enough sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The amount of coffee I drink is inversely proportional to the amount of sleep I've had.
    Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Around 5 hours on a good night.

My typical day starts at 7 if the kids don't wake me earlier. Get them ready, get breakfast into them, off to the creche, then to work, home at 7:30, help get kids into bed. All that is done by 8:30, then start dinner, finished cooking and eating by 9:30. Clean up the house, odd jobs, done by 10:30. Then hit the gym for an hour or so. Get to sit on the couch around midnight, relax and watch a bit of TV until 2 and go to bed. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Sometimes as little as 3 hours. Sleeping pills help but make me feel very groggy the next day. I don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine and take plenty of exercise but nothing works. I'd give anything for a good night's sleep and to wake up feeling refreshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Sometimes as little as 3 hours. Sleeping pills help but make me feel very groggy the next day. I don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine and take plenty of exercise but nothing works. I'd give anything for a good night's sleep and to wake up feeling refreshed.

Try psychotherapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

About 5 during the working week when i have to get up at 5.30am, about 9 on weekends when I'll lie in until 9 or 10.

Total night owl though. Love my bed but it's taken me about ten years to train myself to be in it before midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

About 6 to 7 hours on average, sometimes an hour extra on weekends, but I think 6 to 7 is just what's ideal for my body as I always wake up after that time. As long as I get over 4 I'm OK the next day really (but wouldn't fancy it on an ongoing basis). My dad only sleeps around 4 hours a night and has done since I was young, not sure how he copes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Usually 8 hours. I used to stay up quite late and get less but I've started going to bed earlier the last year or so. Was hard to get to sleep for a long time when I started going to bed earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

7 hours but id usually be up 2 or 3 times to the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I like at least 7. I rarely sleep all the way through, so an hour od that is taken up by tossing and turning or needing to use the loo. If I set my alarm and it says 'alarm set for 6 hours and....' I get very agitated.

I can function on a lot less if I need to, but for no more than 2 or 3 days. I love my sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Usually between 6-7 depending on what's on. Tend to wake a couple if times during the night.

Last night alarm was set for 5:50am and got to sleep about 11:30pm.

Didn't wake at all during the night and so got a shock when the alarm went off.

Tired now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I slept from 12:30 to 5:30 and I'm not tired in the slightest. No caffeine either, just water.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

5-6 hours. Would love to be able to sleep-in but I always wake around 5.15/5.30am , on weekdays and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

About 6 when things are good. Bit of Insomnia creeping back in at the moment and it's 3-4 in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Between 6 - 8 hours. But it varies from time to time. Sometimes I end up sleeping well past my usual times on days when I'm not in work, and sometimes I can't sleep at night and would only get a few hours sleep. Sometimes only an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

5 or 6 hours lately. I start dreaming as soon as my eyes close, before I'm fully asleep. I thought you had to be asleep for some time before you could dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

During the week, 5-6.

At the weekend I usually get in at least one 8-10 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Somewhere between 4 & 6 at nighttime.
    Sometimes I might grab an hour straight after work or something (as a result of not getting enough sleep the night before, not the cause of not sleeping that night)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

I get 3-4 a night for last few weeks, newborn baby in our house
    Hope she will start sleeping a bit longer soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    I would love to Hibernate sleep for a year and then awake for the next

That would be rotten. You'd be on your own for 8 hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Glenster wrote: »
    That would be rotten. You'd be on your own for 8 hours a day.

I would like to be on my own from 20-24 hours per day, so 8 would be a nice start.

I'm in the bed with my eyes closed for 6 hours a night, sometimes 6 1/2.

Sometimes it takes me a while to get to sleep, sometimes I oversleep by 10 minutes.

Grown-ass people who moan about not getting enough sleep are annoying.

Zillah wrote: »
    I would like to be on my own from 20-24 hours per day, so 8 would be a nice start.

Different strokes I suppose.

• Advertisement

Not as many as my recent short but somewhat spectacular break down would suggest I need :)

Been trying to scale back on some of my activities and put that time into sleep - but it has been a battle to decide which things to snip out of my life. So I am just working on hoping one break down was enough :)

Advertisement