Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curse Client for Minecraft

Options
  • 25-10-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

Anybody using the Curse Client currently?

I used to use FTB and ATL launchers but ive decided since i havent played in awhile id like to use a launcher that has the widest variety of mods and a nice easy way to keep them up to date.

Also be looking for the odd adventure/monument map too so would be handy if launcher also had them too.

TL;DR
    Is the curese client any good?
    What launcher would people recomend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Curse is fine if you set it up correctly.

Curse name different to minecraft name.
    Enable curse to close when you press close > Settings>General> when I click 'X' > Exit curse

If you have a not so good computer Magic launcher uses the lowest resources but you have to import the mod packs to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I vaguely remember using the magic launcher at some point. Had forgotten about it.

Ive a decent PC so should be ok there. I did do a bit of reading about curse and the resource usage did crop up a bit alright. People were complaining about it adding itself to the windows start up programs as well. Handy to know about closing it properly too cheers.

Im gonna try it out anyway and see how i get on,ill check out the magic launcher too.

EoinHef wrote: »
    I vaguely remember using the magic launcher at some point. Had forgotten about it.

Ive a decent PC so should be ok there. I did do a bit of reading about curse and the resource usage did crop up a bit alright. People were complaining about it adding itself to the windows start up programs as well. Handy to know about closing it properly too cheers.

Im gonna try it out anyway and see how i get on,ill check out the magic launcher too.

Yeah you can just disable it from running at startup - Windows key + R > type msconfig > startup TAB

So i grabbed the curse launcher,turns out i have a curse login from years ago,must have been for their forums.

Launcher feels a little wonky and unstable,one or two of the packs i tried were crashing for various reasons. Also its not very good at letting you know when each pack is actually installed as sometimes the play button does not come up after install so you had to install it again and delete the first instance to get the play button to appear.

On the plus side there are so many packs!! Id say there must be something there for everybody. As stated one or two packs seemed to have problems but most were fine. Decided to go with the Space Astronomy pack,ive never really messed with space mods so thought might as well give it a go.

So initial impression of the launcher is ok,it feels like it still needs a little work,im most likely being to harsh as all this stuff is free. Just wanted to give an homest assesment incase anyone wanted to try it out.

Decided to try another map on curse,Project Ozone 2. Its a HQM custom map and mods,quite tricky but very enjoyable. I do like the questing mod,for those times where i just want to jump on and have a bit of direction rather than just constant wiki to learn mods.

I dont think any sane person would ever complete every quest in the pack but im not gonna sweat that,ill just continue to play while im enjoying it.

Good to have minecraft back in the rotation of games i play now and then:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I had issues with some mod packs and the curse launcher. Notably FTB Lite, which requires a minimum of 4GB ram. Curse launcher by default allocates only 3GB. Once you change this setting in the curse launcher it fires up fine.
    Project Ozone 2 looks quite fun. Similar to Agrarian Skies 1&2 (currently working through the second one).
    If you like such mod packs another one which I really liked was Crash Landing, it was a bit tougher, but definitely great fun.

The launcher has been ok for me,except the "All the Mods" pack which keeps crashing on loading. Havent looked into it much though as ive just been playing project ozone 2.

Have to say im enjoying project ozone a lot. Got to the point where i have creative flight from the angel ring in extra utilities which has really opened it up. Especially the other dimensions,particularly the bug dimension. I was using a portal gun to get around which was decent but led to a few frustrating deaths and a long hike to get gravestone back and more deaths as its quite a hostile place.

I had heard about Crash Landing,ill be in the market for a new pack when im done with project ozone so ill check it out

Crash Landing is a great pack. Best played hardcore though its the start that you need to get right quickly to have a fair chance of progressing through the quests.

Playing Nameless at the minute (ATlauncher) its pretty good, Play's like Mad Pack 1, same author.

Never heard of Nameless,had been using ATL for resonant rise there just over a year ago. I still have it installed i think,i must have a look.

Never heard of Nameless,had been using ATL for resonant rise there just over a year ago. I still have it installed i think,i must have a look.

Heard of Mad Pack's?

• Advertisement

Heard of Mad Pack's?

No,ive played a good few of the questing mod packs but never heard of Mad Packs. On the ATL launcher i think i played tolkien craft and resonant rise.

No,ive played a good few of the questing mod packs but never heard of Mad Packs. On the ATL launcher i think i played tolkien craft and resonant rise.

Ah, Get on the mad packs. Mad Pack 2 by design is meant to be unbeatable gets harder as the days progress so you have to do stuff very quickly and strategically.

Ah, Get on the mad packs. Mad Pack 2 by design is meant to be unbeatable gets harder as the days progress so you have to do stuff very quickly and strategically.

Cool,ill give it a try. Definitely havent tried that pack before.

Cool,ill give it a try. Definitely havent tried that pack before.

Good man. It will frustrate you but that's what it's supposed to do. Up to you to keep trying to beat the pack. Think it's about 100 days in when it gets unbeatable but it has balance with OP weapons and armour if you can get them before that point its win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I had heard about Crash Landing,ill be in the market for a new pack when im done with project ozone so ill check it out

Crash landing is great, although a bit old at this point, certainly worth a look. Just started playing the Forever Stranded pack. Similar to crash landing in that you find yourself alone on a desert planet, nothing but sand and cactuses. And some very hostile mobs. Esp the husks who don't die in sunlight.

Crash landing is great, although a bit old at this point, certainly worth a look. Just started playing the Forever Stranded pack. Similar to crash landing in that you find yourself alone on a desert planet, nothing but sand and cactuses. And some very hostile mobs. Esp the husks who don't die in sunlight.

Ah nice will have to give that a play through. There was a 1.7.10 similar to Crash Landing, Blast Off I think it was called.

Had a look the other night and ATL seems to only have Mad Pack 3. Started it up for a quick look and i see it starts you in the Aether!!!

Still a bit of Project Ozone2 id like to finish before i make the move across though. Just got nether star seeds last night,only then i realised it can only grow on a awakened draconium block!! So next step will be the End to get the first dragon kill. I have total OP armour,weapons plus flight at this point so should be quite easy.

Although if its like the Wither there is a mod in the pack that makes the him tougher each time you beat him so could get interesting. Beaten the wither 4 times now and was noticably longer to beat the last time.

Also magical crops are totally OP in this pack,get 10,10,10 seeds and a harvester from MFR and its game over for whatever resources you have with those seeds. Add lily pads of fertility and a open blocks sprinkler for extra hilarity.

Had a look the other night and ATL seems to only have Mad Pack 3. Started it up for a quick look and i see it starts you in the Aether!!!

Still a bit of Project Ozone2 id like to finish before i make the move across though. Just got nether star seeds last night,only then i realised it can only grow on a awakened draconium block!! So next step will be the End to get the first dragon kill. I have total OP armour,weapons plus flight at this point so should be quite easy.

Although if its like the Wither there is a mod in the pack that makes the him tougher each time you beat him so could get interesting. Beaten the wither 4 times now and was noticably longer to beat the last time.

Also magical crops are totally OP in this pack,get 10,10,10 seeds and a harvester from MFR and its game over for whatever resources you have with those seeds. Add lily pads of fertility and a open blocks sprinkler for extra hilarity.

The 3 three MadPack's are condensed into one icon you just pick the version you want to install. Have you gotten to ProjectE in Po2 yet? It is also in MadPack's 2 and 3 Its very easy to get to in 2. Once you have the Magical Crops armour in MP2 it is a bit easier. They are both OP mods but MP 2 has a good way of balancing them.

I tried that 1.10.2 Crash Landing remake not too sure about it though no where near as good as the original. Hopefully with updates it gets better found myself adding mods to it.

Ah ok cool,ill have a look at it again and try 2.

Im pretty close to project E,just need vibrantium,trouble is villagers in soul vials for enticing crystals,only got 4 so far so only have two vibrantium,need 9 for philosophers stone. Have tons of everything else.

Mostly finished magical crops there this morning after work,all the armour and seeds except for electrotine seeds which is last piece i need. Used a T3 crafter from RFTools to combine the essences,extremely handy the way you can use up to 8 recipies. Basically could put in blocks of minicio and it would craft it all the way up to zivicio essence. Dont need temperio often so im just crafting it by hand. 10,10,10 seeds,harvester and spriklers going for the win there,insane amounts of essence. All brought by tesseract back to a compactor which just gives me an out put of the fully formed items. Awesome:)

For s**ts and giggles,thought id throw up a pic or two,mostly just the essence farming. Excuse the ghetto ness of the place,packs like this i rarely build anything to look good,just work good hopefully...

The Farm:)
    408300.jpg

At first i had rows for everything but soon realised was getting way more gold and ender pearls than anything else,so re jigged it and divided the crops up to try get more even spread of resources
    408301.jpg

Had just taken about 15 blocks of mimico out of the bottom of the chest when i took this pic,about 20 minutes after starting the farm
    408302.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah ok cool,ill have a look at it again and try 2.

Im pretty close to project E,just need vibrantium,trouble is villagers in soul vials for enticing crystals,only got 4 so far so only have two vibrantium,need 9 for philosophers stone. Have tons of everything else.

Mostly finished magical crops there this morning after work,all the armour and seeds except for electrotine seeds which is last piece i need. Used a T3 crafter from RFTools to combine the essences,extremely handy the way you can use up to 8 recipies. Basically could put in blocks of minicio and it would craft it all the way up to zivicio essence. Dont need temperio often so im just crafting it by hand. 10,10,10 seeds,harvester and spriklers going for the win there,insane amounts of essence. All brought by tesseract back to a compactor which just gives me an out put of the fully formed items. Awesome:)

Much easier using zombie villagers and the vanilla way of transforming them into villagers.

Much easier using zombie villagers and the vanilla way of transforming them into villagers.

Man that was a chore,spawned zombies till i got infected zombies villagers then used a syringe to cure them. Then used an RFTools syringe so could spawn them using rftools spawner. So have a villager spawner now! Had to look up this method online. Made the wrong syringe at first,killed a villager with it by mistake so that was costly,got there in the end though. Got as far as 7 vibarntium and the rftools spawner is set up now so can finish it off next time i log on. Was 5 hrs at it this morning after work,got 5 hrs sleep and im back in work now,mimecraft can be so addictive!!

Im still plugging along with this,PO2 really is an awesome pack.

Some of the mods in it im really enjoying right now and havent really played too in depth with before

-Big Reactors
    -ProjectE
    -Mekanism
    -Draconic Evolution
    -Magneticraft
    -Apllied Energistics 2
    -Botania
    -Immersive Engineering
    -Ender IO
    -Extra Utilities

Once you get AE 2,ProjectE and the wireless crafting terminal from AE addons crafting is so easy for the quests. One big reactor with 9 fuel rods is producing 230k RF per tick(:eek:) so powering everything including an ender quarry with speed 3 and silk touch isnt a problem which to me is mental,resource income is crazy. There are a few quests that i reckon i wont finish,solar panel one in particular,as they just look annoying and time consuming. Next step is to bulid an extra reactor or two and hook at least one of them up to a turbine to see how it works.

Also the damage some mobs do is crazy,those john cena creepers can one shot you in even the best armour:confused:

Ah man john cena creepers are a pain in the.... Think I disabled them when I played last. Made me rage quit after they spawned in a void world in kappa mode forgot to disable them in the newest update.

Ah man john cena creepers are a pain in the.... Think I disabled them when I played last. Made me rage quit after they spawned in a void world in kappa mode forgot to disable them in the newest update.

Full battlesuit armour with a draconic flux capacitor to keep it topped up,still one shot if i was right beside them:(

The pseudo inversion sigil ritual was fun,all mobs got a speed boost including cena creepers!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Did they get buffed? Was playing an old version of PO2 with a friend from the old Boards modded servers and they did huge chunks of damage to people near them but didn't one-shot unless you were standing at ground zero or had unenchanted armor. That said, I do think the battlesuit is actually a little weak compared to fully enchanted Dark Steel armor with a JetPlate - 96% armor protection on top of four Protection 4's make for a tanky Steve :D

Not sure if the mod in general was buffed or its some sort of tweek to the pack but pretty much get one shot no matter what if your only about 1-3 blocks away. Ive found the problem is that with blood moons and things like the inversion sigil ritual so many spawn that one eventually gets behind you so can get close enough to one shot without me noticing.

I actually cheated a little and turned off mob griefing,was getting a right pain clearing up messes from them,even if they dont kill you they leave an awfully big hole:(

Ill check out that dark steel armour,was a bit unimpressed with the battle armour,it looks bloody terrible too,like slightly off colour iron armour!!

Any ideas where i can get dimensional shards? Thought my quarry in the deep dark might get one or two but nothing so far. Never played with RFTools dimensions and im afraid ill make a mess of it. I sense some wiki reading in my near future!!

Could have sworn I saw some at lava ocean level in the Nether in Infinity but they're really meant to be obtained from RFTools dimensions. Sky island dimension + jetpack = easy pickings, once you get used to spotting them on the sides/underside of islands and also getting extra dimlets from the mystcraft-esque bonus buildings dotted around the place.

As for powering up and going into RFTools dimensions themselves... you'll need power. Chunkloaded power. LOTS of it. And preferably some kind of cross-dimensional teleporter so you can bug out ASAP if things go horribly wrong.

Cheers,was hoping to leave building my own dimensions till down the road as i had worried a bit about having enough RF to power one.

Made space for another 3 big reactors so hoping to get about 1mil rf/t from all them running but id been putting off building them. Ill build them before i try the dimensions just in case.

Gonna mean a lot more gelid to craft,thank god for the open blocks floodgate though,was placing the source blocks by hand for awhile:(

• Advertisement

And then said source blocks fall to the bottom... :p

Using turbines? Even with them I'd love to know how you're getting 1MRF/t from them... unless they get a ludicrous multiplier in PO2 like the Mekanism stuff. In regular modpacks you cap out at ~85kRF/t from an efficient big reactor pumping out 6000mb/t steam to three maxed-out turbines, which admittedly is still crazy powerful. And on that note I have no clue if/what cost multiplier RFTools stuff has in PO2 :o

Advertisement