Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Problem with Sapphire RX 480 8 GB OC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Look at one of the videos he posted, he is getting the graphical problems in the bios.

Yep, its a really weird bug. I can't imagine what would cause it to act that way but it should have no impact after the BIOS hands over to the OS bootloader.
    pcuser wrote: »
    Early days but I have disabled fast startup and turned on the PC 5 times. The 5 times It came on straight away.

Thank you so much that seems to have done the job.

Winning. Fast booting is a form of sleep that hardware doesnt like sometimes, especially older stuff.
    Update

The problem is still occurring. I had to go to town and when I came home I went to restart the computer. The 1st time It went from the BIOS screen to a black screen. The second time it went went straight to a black screen. The third time it turned on.

Did you go to START the computer or had it gone to SLEEP and then you tried to WAKE it? Because sleep/hibernate is basically what fast booting was trying to do.
    Its still the same whether I use the GPU or Onboard GPU.

I would guess you've two unrelated issues:
    -Bios is wonky, probably a bug in the assembly code, non critical
    -The machine is improperly managing ACPI sleep states causing issues when cold booting/hibernating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

ED E wrote: »

Did you go to START the computer or had it gone to SLEEP and then you tried to WAKE it? Because sleep/hibernate is basically what fast booting was trying to do.

No It was a complete shut down and then the switch on the socket was turned off.
    I would guess you've two unrelated issues:
    -Bios is wonky, probably a bug in the assembly code, non critical
    -The machine is improperly managing ACPI sleep states causing issues when cold booting/hibernating.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Do you reckon a new motherboard would sort this issue out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The machine is improperly managing ACPI sleep states causing issues when cold booting/hibernating.

To the best of my knowledge you can disable these in the BIOS no?

Do you reckon a new motherboard would sort this issue out?

TBH its so funky I can't really tell.

If you can borrow any old crappy GPU for 3 or 4 days and test with that it'd rule the GPU clear and the its 80% Mobo 20% the CX430(They've been funky for me and a friend before).

Thanks again for all the help. I should be able to get my hands on a 750ti.

Ive being looking at the online manual for the mobo. Do you think it might be a setting that needs changed from page 55 to 58?

http://cdn.billiger.com/dynimg/18oPQER5tDHvqZQHGjikiDt4H9rycHjeBa9LTdXG2DACrzNGQfHyPnXgCZ_I4nRdA-ILq_asOIT5MW-zIeeL80/Asus-H81M-PLUS-90MB0GI0-M0EAY0-Bedienungsanleitung-9ce263.pdf

• Advertisement

Da fuq? Never heard of this
    Overview
    Intel® Smart Connect Technology is designed to update programs by periodically waking your computer from sleep/standby mode for a short time. This function works with applications that automatically get their data from the Internet, such as Outlook* and Windows* Live Mail

Leave Rapid Start and Smart Connect Disabled, they should be already.

Right I took out the GPU and reinstalled it again. I cant get it to work at all now :( .

Im waiting on someone to get back to me to see if I can borrow one

I have also noticed that when I hit the power button on the PC with the GPU connected it shuts down straight away, When Im using the onboard GPU and hit the shutdown button it takes a few seconds to knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have also noticed that when I hit the power button on the PC with the GPU connected it shuts down straight away, When Im using the onboard GPU and hit the shutdown button it takes a few seconds to knock off.

Honest answer, most likley part thats broken is the mobo. But the only way you will find out is by swapping parts.

Right I managed to get my hands on a MSI GeForce GTX 750.

This card has both a 6 pin and 8 pin power connector, But from what I have being reading online they are only used for Overclocking and the board should draw all the power from the MOBO.

I Connected it to the MOBO and I get a message saying

"PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THE GRAPHIC CARD"

So I shut down the pc and connected the 6 pin in to the GPU but I get the same message, I shut it down again and connected the 8 pin (Corsair has 6+2 Connection) and I get the same message again.

Would this point to the MOBO being the problem?

• Advertisement

Wait wait wait, a 750 with a 6 pin and an 8 pin? Sure its not a 780?

Sorry yes its probably a 780 ti these is no writing on the card. I taught it was a 750 ti

*facepalm*

Those PCI power blocks aren't for overclocking, its 250W card in a slot that can supply 75W max. You need them connected.

*facepalm*

Those PCI power blocks aren't for overclocking, its 250W card in a slot that can supply 75W max. You need them connected.

Yeah when I figured out it was a 780ti I know my PSU would not have enough power. Im presuming it needs both the 6 pin and 8 pin connected to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah when I figured out it was a 780ti I know my PSU would not have enough power. Im presuming it needs both the 6 pin and 8 pin connected to work?

In theory it could. Would be right at the top of its range though.

Il be getting a MSI raedon tomorrow to test.i have also started a RMA with Amazon to get the ball rolling if needs be. They only allow 250 words though. There was not enough characters to describe the problem.

Right everyone just a quick update, I got my hands on a R7770. I followed these steps.

Started PC with on board graphics and Ran DDU.
    Installed the R7770 and started the PC.
    Updated Drivers and I was then prompted to restart the PC.
    Restarted the PC and there was a black screen again.

I have a 430 watt corsair PSU which should be plenty for that card. Before I look at other MOBOs do you guys think that is the problem?
    Or could it be the Radeon Software Crimson Edition and WIN 10? Im thinking its the MOBO though

and now there is no display at all with the on board graphics. The hard drive is spinning up and I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Right everyone just a quick update, I got my hands on a R7770. I followed these steps.

Started PC with on board graphics and Ran DDU.
    Installed the R7770 and started the PC.
    Updated Drivers and I was then prompted to restart the PC.
    Restarted the PC and there was a black screen again.

I have a 430 watt corsair PSU which should be plenty for that card. Before I look at other MOBOs do you guys think that is the problem?
    Or could it be the Radeon Software Crimson Edition and WIN 10? Im thinking its the MOBO though

So the all fans and **** spinning.

Edit net acting up just seen.

I got it going again so I went to safe mode used DDU, Plugged in the 7770 and tried to reboot but just a black screen. Il just order a new mobo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It seems to be the problem alright. There is nothing worse trying to troubleshoot when you have few components to test with.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone, Thank You.

UPDATE.

The new MOBO arrived today so I switched out all the parts, The GPU is now working :) I also got a new AOC G2460PF . It works perfect with the HDMI lead, But when I try to use the Display port cable I just get a black screen :(

UPDATE.

But when I try to use the Display port cable I just get a black screen :(

I just had to remove the HDMI from the screen and then the DP worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well done on getting the PC fixed. I'd say you were pulling your hair out trying to find the problem.

Haha I certainly was lol. All sorted now though, Im working all weekend though, Hopefully il get to play BF1 Monday for a few hours

Advertisement