Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Problem with Sapphire RX 480 8 GB OC

Options
  • 24-10-2016 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

My shiny brand new Sapphire RX 480 8 GB OC arrived last week. However I have had a problem with it.

I installed the GPU then all the drivers restarted the PC and it worked. Everything was working great. I shut down the PC and thats when the problems started happening.

When i try to reboot I just get a black screen. I have tried 3 different tvs and different HDMI cables but I still have the same problem. The only solution is to turn on and off the pc anywhere from 3 to 15 times until it works. Or open the case disconnect the 8 pin from the GPU and replace the HDMI lead to the Mobo.

When this is done I uninstall all the drivers. Shut down the pc ,reconnect the 8 pin lead and start new installing all the drivers again. It will works perfectly until the PC is shut down again.

Now I have googled a lot over the last few days and tried a host of solutions.

(1) Change TV
    (2) Change HDMI lead
    (3) Uninstall old drivers and fresh install
    (4) Ran DDU in safe mode to uninstall drivers and then re install
    (5) I have factory reset Win 10
    (6) Disabled sapphire trixx from opening when windows starts

I cant get in to Bios to change any setting as it is scrambled. It looked like this with the Onboard GPU a few weeks back. I have tried to look at the settings again with the GPU but it still looks the same
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p011037ZE3U

I think I might have it narrowed down to 2 solutions and Im looking for some advice from the more experienced people here.

(1) Its cheap ass tvs that I am using. The brands are Hitachi, Nordmende and finlux. We watch very little tv in out house so there was never any reason to buy a more expensive brand

(2) The PSU is a corsair 430 watt. Is it possible that the PSU just doesnt have the power to support the card. I dont thin this is the problem though as after I reinstall the GPU it will work perfectly.
    http://www.corsair.com/en/cx430-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply

I have a new monitor ordered from Amazon and Im just waiting for them to take the money and ship it. I went for the AOC G2460PF 24 inch 144 Hz
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BV1XBEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont really want to open an RMA at this point as I feel It maybe be a problem on my end.

My PC spec are

ASUS H81M-PLUS
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 Kit
    Corsair Builder Series CX430 430 Watt
    Intel Core i5-4460
    WD Blue Desktop 1 TB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

is Trixx still a separate application these days? If so, uninstall it. It might be causing conflictw causing the black screen on boot up (I won't go into why for now). Make sure you aren't running over clocks or anything (I don't suspect you are).

OK, first thing to try is to try updating to the second or third most recent driver instead of the latest. That way we can rule out a driver issue on AMD's end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Thanks for the quick reply. I have not overclocked. Heres are some screens of the software + hardware im running. Il download Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 and install. Should I use DDU to wipe the drivers that are installed atm?

https://gyazo.com/5ff98733eb91a37d986b1a82e7171bef

https://gyazo.com/82b82c251184221d5965e31ac05ead94

https://gyazo.com/02f91a5efaecb6242ccb0ac4b10ee5d2

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.1017.2223.38477
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.40.2911-161017a-308000E
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 21.19.155.4
    Direct3D® Version - 21.19.155.4
    OpenGL® Version - 21.19.155.4
    OpenCL™ Version - 21.19.155.4
    AMD Mantle Version - 21.19.155.4
    AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.0
    Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.3.0
    Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.26

Ok so I have just used DDU to wipe the old drivers and then installed 16.9.2 but still a black screen, Im also noticing that I dont have the option to enter bios the screnn goes black straight away, Other times it will go black just after the screen diplays the information on how to get in to bios

So Windows icon doesn't show up or anything? Strange. Also, download *older* drivers and install them, not the latest ones.

No the windows icon doesnt show up at all. just a black screen. Il try again with much older drivers and see how I get on. I might as well do a factory reset on win before I start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BIOS version:
    H81M-PLUS BIOS 0603
    1 Enhance compatibility with some PCIE device.
    2.Revise help string in BIOS.
    3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Your graphics card is pci-ex 3.0, your board is 2.0. When it was created 3.0 did not exist.

Check your bios version is higher then 603 first, if not then update.

Good catch, that's definitely worth a shot. Black screen that early would definitely indicate the motherboard being the issue.

Wow well spotted thanks a million.

Im a bit baffled though, When I look at the specs for the mobo I bought it states
    Expansion Slots 1 x CPU
    2 x DIMM 240-pin
    1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
    3 x PCIe 2.0 x1

Does this mean the 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 is actually a 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 until the bios has being updated?

If this is the case then it unfortunately leads to another problem. I cant get in to my bios with the on board gpu it is all scrambled. So I wont be able to safely update :(

That chipset only supports 2.0, so its always going to be x16 2.0.

It won't make a blind bit of difference to the performance of the card.

Im baffled, When I was looking around at mobos I taught this would be future proof as it states it has a 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16. Its prob too late now to return it to computer universe.

I also cant get in to the bios to update to see if it will work as the display is scrambled.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p011037ZE3U

and to make matter even worse Amazon posted the monitor a while ago so I wont have money for a new mobo until next week.

Between this the monitor and battlefield 1 im about €500 out of pocket and cant play the game.

Thanks for all the help though, I really appreciate it. I dont suppose there is any mobo you can recommended that will work?

• Advertisement

I spent 10 mins fiddling with the bios. Im running the most up to date bios version for that mobo

https://gyazo.com/8e37bde6832e2ce454b2217a1ce4d328

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Take out the graphics card and connect straight up to the motherboard via HDMI, DVI or VGA which ever you wish to choose and change the bios settings you wish to change then connect back up GPU and see if it is any different.

edit: Didn't realise you got into bios.

Take out the graphics card and connect straight up to the motherboard via HDMI, DVI or VGA which ever you wish to choose and change the bios settings you wish to change then connect back up GPU and see if it is any different.

edit: Didn't realise you got into bios.

Thanks for the help. I dont have to change any BIOS settings after all they are all up to date.

Im going to install driver 16.7.2 and see if that makes a difference.They were release a few months back. If not Il have to pick up a new mobo

I went back over your posts again.

If you disconnect and remove the graphics card, do you get this effect with the onboard GPU? If you don't, its on the latest bios version, then RMA the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is a long shot but it fixed my problem with a R9 290 that I overclock.

Download MSI afterburner and run it just before you are going to shut down PC and click the reset button in the middle and then turn off computer and then boot back up and see if it will boot.

I know it is a long shot but it may work so worth a try anyway.

This is a long shot but it fixed my problem with a R9 290 that I overclock.

Download MSI afterburner and run it just before you are going to shut down PC and click the reset button in the middle and then turn off computer and then boot back up and see if it will boot.

I know it is a long shot but it may work so worth a try anyway.

I have rolled back to a driver from July and so far after 3 restarts it seems to be working. I will check again when herself is finished with the TV.

If the problem persists I will follow your advice. Thank you

pcuser wrote: »
    I have rolled back to a driver from July and so far after 3 restarts it seems to be working. I will check again when herself is finished with the TV.

If the problem persists I will follow your advice. Thank you

So it is a driver issue like I said initially. Glad it's sorted. There must be some compatibility issue between the latest driver and your comparatively older hardware.

I went back over your posts again.

If you disconnect and remove the graphics card, do you get this effect with the onboard GPU? If you don't, its on the latest bios version, then RMA the card.

I completely misread this post. I havent removed the GPU but I have disconnected the 6 +2 pin power lead from the gpu. I have switched the hdmi from the gpu to the on board gpu and it always works

I will completely remove the gpu from the mobo in the morn and see what happens.

I really appreciate the help. Thank you

Update

The pc will start with no black screens when I
    (1) Restart
    (2) Shut Down then restart

I have noticed beeps from the MObo during boot up now, It seems to be One continuous beep followed by three short beeps which means No VGA detected on my mobo.

https://www.facebook.com/damo.debrun/videos/10210853276585104/

It's working though?

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's working though?

More or less. When i power on the pc the 1st time it goes to a black screen. The second time the mobo beeps 3 times and then it boots.

AMazon will be shipping the new monitor today so hopefully it will make a difference with the DP or DVI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sounds like the motherboard might even be an issue. Make sure to reseat the GPU in it's slot anyway.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Sounds like the motherboard might even be an issue. Make sure to reseat the GPU in it's slot anyway.

Yeah I reckon it probably is the Mobo. Il pick up another one in a few weeks. Il make sure the new one have PCI-E 3

Actually can anyone recommended a boards thats not going to break the bank?

It would have to be a 1150 socket. Ive no need to change my cpu as its just used for gaming (i5-4460)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have a strong suspicion this isn't hardware at all.

Disable "fast startup" and let us know how you get on.

ED E wrote: »

Early days but I have disabled fast startup and turned on the PC 5 times. The 5 times It came on straight away.

Thank you so much that seems to have done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Awesome! Nice spot ED E!

Update

The problem is still occurring. I had to go to town and when I came home I went to restart the computer. The 1st time It went from the BIOS screen to a black screen. The second time it went went straight to a black screen. The third time it turned on.

ED E wrote: »

Look at one of the videos he posted, he is getting the graphical problems in the bios.

• Advertisement

Look at one of the videos he posted, he is getting the graphical problems in the bios.

A few week back i sold my GTX 950, A few days later I went to go in to the BIOS with onboard graphics but it was scrambled and could not be viewed.

Its still the same whether I use the GPU or Onboard GPU.

Advertisement