Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2016 EDITION

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This one says that it's compatible.

Instructions for setting it up are also on that page
    for Xbox ONE: Setting > All Setting > Display & Sound > Volume > Party Chat Output > Headset & Speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Wait till you're tracking down things like a hatchimal. I'd have found it easier to source an ak47 and a pound of c4.

Speaking of, i have those items you were looking for :P

With regard to USB microphones, i have yet to come across one that doesn't work, with Rock Band at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I've ordered the xbox one s. Just reading up on the batteries for the controllers. The package I ordered comes with an extra controller. Will both be wireless? Also should I order rechargeable batteries for them? What type of battery do they come with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I've ordered the xbox one s. Just reading up on the batteries for the controllers. The package I ordered comes with an extra controller. Will both be wireless? Also should I order rechargeable batteries for them? What type of battery do they come with?

They come with AA batteries. You should get yourself 2 of play & charge ones (presuming the extra controller is wireless aswell) to save money in the long run, they last ages.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1383616/Trail/searchtext%3EXBOX+PLAY+CHARGE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Quick question, I have made up an account called xbx support or something on a new Xbox so I can download fifa ready for Santa. When it's done, if I deleted the account presumably fifa goes with it, or is it on the Xbox regardless of account? Could I add another account (say me or the kids) and then delete xbx support?

Not sure I've made a lot of sense. Sorry.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Quick question, I have made up an account called xbx support or something on a new Xbox so I can download fifa ready for Santa. When it's done, if I deleted the account presumably fifa goes with it, or is it on the Xbox regardless of account? Could I add another account (say me or the kids) and then delete xbx support?

if you redeem the code its linked to the account not the console.
    remove the account and you'll lose access to the game

if the xbox is set as that account home console you any account on that xbox should be able to play

not all is lost you can rename the account to another gamertag

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To be honest, it's not worth messing around with different accounts, it can be a cause of hassle (like if they go around to a friends house, they'd need the two accounts to download and play there), so I always recommend putting it onto the main account.

If you can get into the email address of the account, then you can delete the email that comes in. Pretty sure that the email is the only announcement that you've got a new game, other that those you get on the console when it's ready to play and finished installing. Depending on your broadband, you might be able to get it all downloaded while your kid is out.

They might then see it in the My Games list, but as has been suggested above, perhaps "Santa had to work with Microsoft to preload the game for Christmas"?

Thanks for the help. Will have to start looking for a cheap game or two for it now. I know there's a thread on this forum for that too.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Can't go wrong with Rocket League :)

Can't go wrong with Rocket League :)

Thanks I'll have a look at that, providing its not online only, since my internet is rural garbage!

• Advertisement

Sorry to monopolise the thread. Are there any decent cheaper 3rd party controllers? Have official one with the new console, bought 2nd official one, but the idea of split screen rocket league is very appealing and there are me and 3 kids who'd probably play it.

Sorry to monopolise the thread. Are there any decent cheaper 3rd party controllers? Have official one with the new console, bought 2nd official one, but the idea of split screen rocket league is very appealing and there are me and 3 kids who'd probably play it.

the rockcandy ones are ok ive heard but are wired so need to be plugged in
    (note you might need to get a usb hub if you dont have enough free usb ports)

€35 in argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4983075/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+One%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox+One+controllers+and+steering%7C37328807.htm

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the rockcandy ones are ok ive heard but are wired so need to be plugged in
    (note you might need to get a usb hub if you dont have enough free usb ports)

€35 in argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4983075/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+One%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox+One+controllers+and+steering%7C37328807.htm

Much obliged, look ideal for occasional play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭ratracer

I presume if an Xbox was set up, it'd be safe enough to leave it on and downloading overnight? Hopefully between the hours of 12 and 6am will be enough to download FIFA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The kids are getting a Kinect as a surprise, and a few games. I'm assuming it will be plug and play, with possibly a relative short update? Also, if it was set up a few days before, and then unplugged and hidden, would it be obvious on the console (i.e. would it have to be done Christmas Eve)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

ratracer wrote: »
    I presume if an Xbox was set up, it'd be safe enough to leave it on and downloading overnight? Hopefully between the hours of 12 and 6am will be enough to download FIFA

Yes. There's a configuration parameter that allows the XB1 to continue to use the network even after shutting down. I think the options are called "Energy saving" and "Instant On", because the first means XB1 is off completely, thus saving power, while the second one allows the XB1 to wake up relatively quickly.

The second option means the XB1 can do downloads while it's powered off. For example, if you purchase a game on the xbox.com website, or through the mobile app, the game will begin downloading immediately if it's in 'Instant On' mode.

As for how long it takes a game to download, that depends mostly on your broadband speed. Some games require 40-50GB of data to be downloaded, so that may take a lot of time even on a speedy link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The kids are getting a Kinect as a surprise, and a few games. I'm assuming it will be plug and play, with possibly a relative short update? Also, if it was set up a few days before, and then unplugged and hidden, would it be obvious on the console (i.e. would it have to be done Christmas Eve)?

The Kinect is very easy to set up, and the update for it should be quick.
    The games themselves may vary, depending on the game. Even for disc games, you may end up downloading a large update off the Internet.

No you should be ok there re the kinect, what games did you get ? They might have updates to install and you can't really do that without installing the games so they would definitely see those. If you put the disc in it should say if it needs an update when you try to launch it and should be able to see what size a download it is.

Just on the Kinect, do you have an Xbox One, or an Xbox One S? The Xbox One S needs an adapter.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just on the Kinect, do you have an Xbox One, or an Xbox One S? The Xbox One S needs an adapter.
    Xbox one I think! Will check tonight. They got it last year?

• Advertisement

No you should be ok there re the kinect, what games did you get ? They might have updates to install and you can't really do that without installing the games so they would definitely see those. If you put the disc in it should say if it needs an update when you try to launch it and should be able to see what size a download it is.
    They're getting a few, but just dance will be the main one for Christmas morning. Others will be coming from relations later in the day.

They're getting a few, but just dance will be the main one for Christmas morning. Others will be coming from relations later in the day.

That should wear them out nicely and keep them quiet for the rest of the day so :D

Xbox one I think! Will check tonight. They got it last year?

You'll be grand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭ratracer

Apologies if this is a stupid question, can I start to download a file for a few hours, then turn it off and resume the download at another time?

My internet is only 6mbs, so the 60gb game is gonna be a painful download!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

You can pause the download when you go into My Games and Apps and go to the Download queue

Sorry, one last question before tomorrow, if I buy EA access online code from Amazon can I use it here in Ireland? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Sorry, one last question before tomorrow, if I buy EA access online code from Amazon can I use it here in Ireland? Thanks

I just signed upto it last night. I logged into Xbox live account via web site. Checked my account details, I could see my Xbox live account was active but ea access had expired.

So I just resigned up to it. The only problem I had was it wanted me to pay in dollars. I just clicked on the web link and changed it from com to ie, could pay in euros. Think it was €25.99.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

When buying more than one game from the store is it possible to add to basket and continue shopping rather than buy 1 at a time?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    When buying more than one game from the store is it possible to add to basket and continue shopping rather than buy 1 at a time?

Nope only one at a time
    But they will queue up to download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

I made a rookie mistake just wondering is there any way around it. My son's xbox 1 has two accounts on it. He has downloaded games on it. However when I redeemed code for xbox live today redeemed it under the other account not realizing or knowing what I was at.

It shows up as active till 25/12/17. Is there any way to link them together. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Advertisement