Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Breakfast Ideas

• 18-10-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

What do you all have for Christmas brekkie?

First time having it here at home and I want something special, not too filling and easy peasy to make. If it wasn't for my husband Id make chocolate pastry swirls with coffee but he doesn't like sweet breakfasts (weirdo :p).

Don't want to do a fry, they take too much watching and because we have the toddler I want something that takes very little time or that can be cooking away while we open gifts. (Which also puts pancakes out as I'm terrible at making them).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We had homemade croissants last year. I made and rolled them and froze them in advance so all I had to do was take them out to defrost and prove overnight. If anyone is any good at baking they're well worth the effort. Your husband is a weirdo. :p Sweet breakfasts are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

These are my plan for this year.

Little mini baked omlettes. Noms. Plus we'll probably have waffles or pancakes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Whispered wrote: »

First time having it here at home and I want something special, not too filling and easy peasy to make. If it wasn't for my husband Id make chocolate pastry swirls with coffee but he doesn't like sweet breakfasts (weirdo :p).

Don't want to do a fry, they take too much watching and because we have the toddler I want something that takes very little time or that can be cooking away while we open gifts. (Which also puts pancakes out as I'm terrible at making them).

Banana pancakes using almond flour. No wheat and quite healthy (apart from the massive amount of toffee syrup I put on them). You can make them the night before, keep in a measuring jug for ease of pouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I also had pancakes last year.
    With blueberries and maple syrup.

This year, I'm thinking cake.
    Because Christmas. CAKE! End of story.

There's all these cute quotes like "Life's short, eat cake for breakfast" or "I eat cake because it's somebody's birthday somewhere" and that just makes me wanna go all out and eat the cake on Christmas Day.
    Because when else? 😊

I also hope to bake one this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We've had pancakes or French toast recently, this year we're doing pastries instead as I'm doing canapés for lunch and then dinner. I'd like to be able to eat dessert this year so cutting back on good all day

And I love anything the kids can eat while playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Whispered wrote: »

French toast, it can be sweet or savoury and only takes minutes to cook!
    We had it last year with a lovely maple syrup mascarpone, can't remember whose recipe it was, but it was yum! *edit* found it! Rachel Allen's recipe

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/1221/744098-french-toast-with-cinnamon-mascarpone/

You could do bacon in the oven for the savoury ones, not much watching involved with that.
    Then have little bowls of fruit, syrup, etc and let everyone choose their own toppings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Or nigellas Christmas muffins, could be baked beforehand and heated up on Christmas morning.
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/christmas-morning-muffins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cherrycola wrote: »
    You could do bacon in the oven for the savoury ones, not much watching involved with that.

Pro tip- bacon/ rashers do great in a george foreman grill, they're REALLY hard to burn in it and you don't have to turn them halfway through!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm planning to make baked egg omelette/muffins with bacon and cheese and a magic custard cake with berries on Christmas eve when we do Santa's cookies. Then we can have them in the morning for breakfast and maybe some more later as a mini-brunch. As we'll probably be up at around 7 and won't have dinner until about 3, so we'll need something filling to eat around 11/12.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lads.... I'm starving, such fantastic ideas!

I tried tagging my OH on this thread in my state of jealousy/hunger. I will be sending her the link later, as we're having Christmas as ours this year we'll have to make a yummy breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc am I right in thinking that this will be your last Christmas breakfast as a single man?

We go to my sister's for breakfast so and she does have the fry ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I've tried a few different things for christmas morning breakfasts and evertally I gave up! It's the one morning of the year I let the kiddies eat their chocolate and selection boxes for breakfast. They don't want to sit in a chair knowing there are presents and unplayed with toys nearby lol. So instead we have our nice big breakfast christmas eve morning.

I usually become a short order cook for that morning :pac: both my little boys have SPD and ADHD so they stick to their foods rigidly. No change here I'm afraid, so despite my best efforts christmas eve breakfast is normally a fry up with superquinn sausages for me , Dennys sausages for the boys, grilled crispy bacon , homemade brown bread , (fried brown bread for Mr glitz ) some fried sliced potatoes, scrambled egg and toast , (eggs sunny side up for Mr glitz ) pudding and then in vein hope orange juice crossaints and a fruit salad which no one but me touches :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

It'll be a couple of poached eggs on brown toast with real butter for me and a nice big mug of tea. Have to leave plenty of room for later!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

every year is Superquinn sausages, brown bread and a couple of mimosa... :-)

love it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Loughc am I right in thinking that this will be your last Christmas breakfast as a single man?

Yep it is indeed, I'm get getting married in 2017 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    Yep it is indeed, I'll get getting married in 2017 :D

Congratulations! There must be something in the air :pac: another regular was talking about getting married pretty soon too ! :)

Yep it is indeed, I'm get getting married in 2017 :D

Congrats, I'm taking the plunged in 2017 too. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Our family tradition is for bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon. Easy to do, and a bit special. No cooking involved. You do need to be within striking distance of the Bretzel Bakery in Lennox St to do it properly, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Bucks Fizz , lots of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Baileys coffee + pastries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Loaded Bloody Mary's - make a platter of food that can be skewered and put in to the BM

Jude13 wrote: »

Ah nice one Jude! Many congratulations to you too! :D

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we're looking forward to the wedding invitations. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jude13 wrote: »

Christmas themed weddings for you both I expect?!:pac:

We wanted to get married this Christmas but the hotel was booked out. So we are staying there the 22-24 Dec this Christmas to get the Christmas buzz of the place anyway and then go back to Ireland in 2017 for the big day.

leahyl wrote: »
    Christmas themed weddings for you both I expect?!:pac:

If only but we're having a summer wedding.

If only but we're having a summer wedding.

And?

And?

She said no. Haha. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Fantastic thread. Love Christmas. Just gives ya such a warm feeling inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh it's my favourite brekkie of the year!

Cork city gal that I am, it's always Spiced Beef on toasted rye bread. The toast is slathered in soft butter, and the spiced beef is still cooling from being cooked the night before and left to cool in the pot. The whole house smells like cloves when the lid comes off the pot. NOMS

SpicedBeef%20Chutney%20.jpg

Advertisement