Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Breakfast Ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh it's my favourite brekkie of the year!

Cork city gal that I am, it's always Spiced Beef on toasted rye bread. The toast is slathered in soft butter, and the spiced beef is still cooling from being cooked the night before and left to cool in the pot. The whole house smells like cloves when the lid comes off the pot. NOMS

That actually sounds so good. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Jude13 wrote: »
    Congrats, I'm taking the plunged in 2017 too. :eek:

Me too! Three cheers for us all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oooh Christmas! I had a version of this https://supervalu.ie/real-food/good-food-karma/recipe/black-pudding-and-apple-salad-with-honey-mustard-dressing last year though without avocado. It was amazing. Homemade brown bread and butter with it. Totally having it this year. Even if the toddler turns his nose up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Or nigellas Christmas muffins, could be baked beforehand and heated up on Christmas morning.
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/christmas-morning-muffins

Update on these, made them this week as I had satsumas to use up. I wasn't mad about them, maybe just not sweet enough for my horrendous sweet tooth, but I also found the cinnamon and nutmeg very overpowering, so I would reduce those personally.
    Now it could have been that my tastebuds were a bit off, think I've a cold coming on, but I couldn't taste the orange flavour either.
    I might try them again with more orange and less spice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Update on these, made them this week as I had satsumas to use up. I wasn't mad about them, maybe just not sweet enough for my horrendous sweet tooth, but I also found the cinnamon and nutmeg very overpowering

No I think you're right I also find cinnamon and nutmeg as spices very overpowering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Generally I love cinnamon, but I don't know if it was the combination with the nutmeg(I used fresh) but I almost felt like my tongue was numb after eating these! Not great at all.
    Think I'll stick to my cinnamon sugar cookies in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I know this will sound anti christmas but I hate cinnamon, even candles which smell like it. It is the work of Krampus as far as I am concerned. That plus marzipan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    I know this will sound anti christmas but I hate cinnamon, even candles which smell like it. It is the work of Krampus as far as I am concerned. That plus marzipan.

I'm with you on both accounts Jude!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Cinnamon, marzipan and cloves. Hate them! My Christmassy smells are vanilla and pine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Jude13 wrote:

OMG, are you me??? 😊

I've never admitted to this on here (for obvious reasons) but I'm not mad about cinnamon either.
    I always force myself to buy cinnamon scented candles just cuz they're so Christmassy, hehe.

And as for marzipan, times 1000000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Wait so the people that don't like marzipan, don't like battenburg cake??? Ye are mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Whispered wrote: »
    Cinnamon, marzipan and cloves. Hate them! My Christmassy smells are vanilla and pine. :)

Have you tried proper German marzipan from the likes of Lidl? I used to hate the British made marzipan that is sold here(still do). But the German made stuff is completely different. Its not greasy or favourless.

newacc2015 wrote:
    Have you tried proper German marzipan from the likes of Lidl? I used to hate the British made marzipan that is sold here(still do). But the German made stuff is completely different. Its not greasy or favourless.

I believe I have tried the proper marzipan before, yea.
    It'd still be a no from me. 😄

I remember I always hated marzipan ever since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Marzipan is delicious! Some shop bought ones are too rich and sickly though so I can understand how some people are put off. Do you guys just ice straight onto your Christmas cakes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love the smell of cinnamon but I'm not a massive fan of the flavour. I like marzipan though. I've never had the Lidl stuff. I read somewhere that it's coated in chocolate so if that's true I need to get some this year.

I saw Jamie Oliver and Jack Whitehall making these chocolate calzone on TV this morning and they could be a brilliant Christmas morning breakfast if you prove the dough in the fridge overnight and have a bit of time to put them together in the morning. They're basically pizza dough stuffed with homemade Nutella and fried in butter. Actually they'd probably be great on New Year's Day rather than Christmas Day when it's a but less manic.

Alicat wrote:
    Marzipan is delicious! Some shop bought ones are too rich and sickly though so I can understand how some people are put off. Do you guys just ice straight onto your Christmas cakes?!

I just don't like the taste, Alicat.

I'm a huge fan of cakes though and usually, the more icing/ganache/buttercream the better! Just not marzipan.
    Personally for me, I think it's the taste of almonds that I don't like.

I love almonds when they're actual nuts. Marzipan just tastes synthetic or "perfumy" to me. Same with banana. Love them but hate anything banana flavoured. Cloves remind me of my wedding day disaster and the smell makes me heave. Cinnamon, well it's ok in small doses, but I do associate it with cloves so dislike. :)

I'm thinking brekkie might be a pot of strong coffee (with a dash of baileys maybe), various pastries and something simple like scrambled eggs and nice bread/toast. Plus a Christmassy smoothie or milkshake.

Some fab ideas here but I'm really not the best cook and want to save my limited cooking patience for the dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

"Marzipan just tastes synthetic or "perfumy""

Sums it up perfectly. I love cloves though, in ham and booze. I can't eat any cake so my hatred of marzipan may be linked to it, similar to the fact that I hate beer. It was probably because it made me ill as a teen.

My other nemesis is lemon meringue, we had one for my brothers 6th birthday, I was 3 and found it and ate the whole thing. Cue scolding and allot of puking. Can't be near the stuff now.

Whispered wrote:
    I love almonds when they're actual nuts. Marzipan just tastes synthetic or "perfumy" to me. Same with banana. Love them but hate anything banana flavoured. Cloves remind me of my wedding day disaster and the smell makes me heave. Cinnamon, well it's ok in small doses, but I do associate it with cloves so dislike.

Whispered wrote:
    I'm thinking brekkie might be a pot of strong coffee (with a dash of baileys maybe), various pastries and something simple like scrambled eggs and nice bread/toast. Plus a Christmassy smoothie or milkshake.

Whispered wrote:
    Some fab ideas here but I'm really not the best cook and want to save my limited cooking patience for the dinner

Love your Christmas brekkie ideas.

The sound of Christmas smoothie or milkshake has me hooked!

Love your Christmas brekkie ideas.

The sound of Christmas smoothie or milkshake has me hooked!

Dark cherry chocolate (and will help me use up those cacao nibs sitting in my press for the past AGES).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Alicat wrote: »

Mr glitz and I have a great working relationship he eats the marzipan and I eat the icing everyone is happy :pac:

Whispered wrote:
    (and will help me use up those cacao nibs sitting in my press for the past AGES).

That sounds yummy!
    Thanks for that.

I was also googling Christmas milkshakes and I came across Candy Cane milkshake which is a peppermint milkshake with crushed candy canes.
    Sounds festive and a perfect treat for Christmas!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Whispered wrote: »
    I love almonds when they're actual nuts. Marzipan just tastes synthetic or "perfumy" to me.

You can get natural marzipan that doesn't taste synthetic. It's white, like the almonds it's made from, and is delicious. :pac:

You can get natural marzipan that doesn't taste synthetic. It's white, like the almonds it's made from, and is delicious. :pac:

See I might like that. Except now I *know* I dislike marzipan so I'm gonna be biased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Perhaps it my not be strictly Christmas breakfast. However the ritual breakfast in our house for many years on a Stephen's morning was Christmas Pudding fried in butter, with lashing of tea and then up to The Slade Valley to partake in a charity motorcycle event.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Last Christmas I made eggs Benedict for breakfast. Also on the table was fresh orange juice and coffee and plates of freshly baked cinnamon swirls and croissants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon.
    Or
    Eggs Benedict.
    Or
    Pancakes with bacon and maple syrup
    Or
    Porridge with thick cream, raspberries and cinnamon.

And freshly squeezed orange juice, always. And large pot of fresh coffee. Can't wait!

Advertisement