Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks. My training paces are from the Tinman calculator based on an average of my 3 fastest 5k times which were all run in May/June this year.

Cheers - nice calculator , I spent a good half hour playing with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm very late to the party but congrats on all the 5k PBs, lovely to see them listed out like that above. Onwards for the rest of the year and use your new found confidence to push you in the races.

Not comparing us but just to show what's possible, your 5k PB is faster than mine so with your current fitness these times are achievable

Now when I was fit, back in the day,
    5k Pb is 22.43 (2017),
    10 k - 46.58 (2017)
    H/M - 1.45.11 (2016) , so that H/M 1.45 is definitely achievable with your current fitness. Just believe that you can and you will!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Younganne wrote: »
    I'm very late to the party but congrats on all the 5k PBs, lovely to see them listed out like that above. Onwards for the rest of the year and use your new found confidence to push you in the races.

Not comparing us but just to show what's possible, your 5k PB is faster than mine so with your current fitness these times are achievable

Now when I was fit, back in the day,
    5k Pb is 22.43 (2017),
    10 k - 46.58 (2017)
    H/M - 1.45.11 (2016) , so that H/M 1.45 is definitely achievable with your current fitness. Just believe that you can and you will!!!

Thank you Anne! Those times are super, i'd be delighted to achieve them or somewhere close them them! i don't think i'm there yet but it gives me realistic goal(s) I hope :)

Week July 29th - Aug 4th

Monday: Easy hour + 25 mins
    8.2m @ 10:22 min/m, avg HR 132 bpm

Lovely run, really enjoyed this one.

Tuesday: Easy hour
    5.6m @ 10:27 min/m, avg HR 127 bpm

This was supposed to be a session but a sore throat going on since the weekend so decided to keep the early part of the week easy. Another very enjoyable easy run.

Wednesday: REST

Thursday: 15mins Tempo (8:11-8:24), 4mins rec, 10min LT (7:48-7:59)
    7.9 miles, avg HR 148 bpm

Tempo: 8:18, 8:16
    LT: 7:53, 7:43

Very happy with how this went, felt strong.

Friday: Easy Hour
    6.1m @ 10:49, avg hr 138 bpm.

Only run this week i didn't enjoy, just felt awkward and cumbersome at that pace, trying too hard to stay very easy and it just didn't click for me. Lost a VO2 Max pt too, effort was high for the pace.

Saturday: REST

Sunday:
    70mins step back long run
    7.4m @ 9:47 min/m, avg hr 144 bpm.

Took the opportunity to include 10 x 100m strides having had a relatively light week with the skipped session.

Total:
    35 miles

Week July 29th - Aug 4th

Monday: Easy hour + 25 mins
    8.2m @ 10:22 min/m, avg HR 132 bpm

Lovely run, really enjoyed this one.

Tuesday: Easy hour
    5.6m @ 10:27 min/m, avg HR 127 bpm

This was supposed to be a session but a sore throat going on since the weekend so decided to keep the early part of the week easy. Another very enjoyable easy run.

Thursday: 15mins Tempo (8:11-8:24), 4mins rec, 10min LT (7:48-7:59)
    7.9 miles, avg HR 148 bpm

Tempo: 8:18, 8:16
    LT: 7:53, 7:43

Very happy with how this went, felt strong.

Friday: Easy Hour
    6.1m @ 10:49, avg hr 138 bpm.

Only run this week i didn't enjoy, just felt awkward and cumbersome at that pace, trying too hard to stay very easy and it just didn't click for me. Lost a VO2 Max pt too, effort was high for the pace.

Saturday: REST

Sunday:
    70mins step back long run
    7.4m @ 9:47 min/m, avg hr 144 bpm.

Took the opportunity to include 10 x 100m strides having had a relatively light week with the skipped session.

Total:
    35 miles

Great relaxed running - enjoying it is half the battle . Your heart rate stats are enviable ! That VO2 max number really gets my goat - mine is constantly going up and down and at no stage ever is the predictions in the realms of possibility for me !

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Great relaxed running - enjoying it is half the battle . Your heart rate stats are enviable ! That VO2 max number really gets my goat - mine is constantly going up and down and at no stage ever is the predictions in the realms of possibility for me !

Mine is actually extremely steady which is why i note it when it changes, when i look at the last 4 weeks it's usually a flat line. What gets on my goat is the Training Status! 'Unproductive' & 'Maintaining' are the only 2 i ever seem to get with the very occasional 'Productive' thrown in to tease me i think :( The predictions do seem quite a bit off alright, my 5k predicted time is 2 mins faster than my actual time... i think they're there to motivate us :pac:

Week Aug 5th - 11th

Monday AM: 1:45 LR
    11.6m @ 9:32min/m, avg HR 140 bpm, max HR 154 bpm.

Racing at the weekend so did this early in the week thanks to the bank holiday. Lovely run, enjoyed this very much.

Tuesday PM: 5 x 5 mins CV (7:27-7:37 min/m)
    8.1m, avg HR 150bpm, max HR 174 bpm

I'll be honest i was sh*tless facing into this. Browneyes did a CV session in the morning of the same day and when i spotted that my CV pace is almost identical to hers i spiraled into a blind panic as i in no way put myself on an even pegging with her. She reminded me that my paces are based on 3 races and not just 1 and to have confidence in myself so off i went. I found it tough but i was delighted to hit the pace on all the reps, one of those beauts that leave you buzzing for a day afterwards!

Intervals: 7:32, 7:23, 7:33, 7:36, 7:30

Wednesday AM: 60 mins easy
    5.7m @ 10:14min/m, avg HR 142bpm, max HR 158bpm.

Thursday PM: 40 mins easy
    4.4m @ 9:43min/m, avg HR 138bpm, max HR 151bpm.

Friday: REST

Saturday PM: SoG 8k race. Chip: 38:37.
    5m @ 7:43min/m, avg HR 164bpm, max HR 180 bpm (the watch which isn't usually reliable in the rain but i'd say this isn't too far off)

KM Splits: 5:06, 4:55, 4:54, 4:37, 4:52, 4:48, 4:41, 4:34, 3:50 (.04)

Sunday PM: 30mins recovery
    3.2m @ 10:35min/m, avg HR 133bpm

Total: 40 miles

SoG
    So, I was excited all week about this, i love race day and even better when PB is on! PB going into this was a soft 40:26 from Jan 2018 and my most recent 8k was 41:20 in Jan 2019. I didn't really over think a target time for this as it wasn't a target race but i felt sub 39 was very likely and maybe sub 38. The day itself was a busy day, i brought the kids to Galway with me and spent the day sorting out school uniforms etc. Strangely despite being excited all week once i was on the start line i felt a bit indifferent, the usual pre-race nerves were noticeably absent. I lost the charger for my watch mid-week so had to use an old watch, on the night i realised it was showing pace in miles but showing KM splits. I was totally confused LOL but just went with it. The first 3km were quite congested so i had little choice but to keep the running fairly relaxed while i worked through the crowd and that relaxed steady running really was the trend that would continue. I didn't look at the watch except when it buzzed for each KM. By 4k i knew sub 40 would be grand and by 6k i was fairly sure sub 39 was there too... I was working hard by the end but the effort felt more akin to a tough training session than a race. Afterwards i felt a bit flat, not unhappy with the time but a little bit disappointed in the lack of commitment to race. But it's a fabulous fast course and a great buzz, a race i'll do again and hopefully i'll attack it a bit more aggressively next time but in the meantime with a few days clarity i realise it's a run i can take confidence from that things are moving in the right direction. 7 months ago I ran 41:20 on an equally flat course and i collapsed over the line in a heap totally spent so it's very reassuring that i can finish a little bit more comfortably 2:45 mins quicker. I knew the pace was returning in May/June doing the 5ks but i feel a little bit of strength returning now that's something to feel excited about. So mixed feelings i suppose in summary but some very definite positives in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Really nice week. It's gas how sometimes nailing a session can give as much, or more, satisfaction than a really well executed race. Well done on both!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Really nice week. It's gas how sometimes nailing a session can give as much, or more, satisfaction than a really well executed race. Well done on both!
    Thank you. In reality had i committed to the race then CV pace should have been achievable, right? Or close to it anyhow! Had i pulled it off i'd probably still be buzzing lol! But these tune up races are difficult enough, i ran 40 odd miles last week which was i think only one of 2 or 3 times i've hit 40mpw this whole year! To race aggressively as part of that was too big an ask this time but the nice thing is to be able to see it for what it was and take the positives rather than just focusing on the underwhelming result on the clock. That's a step forward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've had that experience before of a fairly underwhelming feeling from a race despite running well (you got a massive PB!) so I know what you mean, but I think it speaks volumes that you ran so much faster than earlier in the year while not even giving it an all out effort. It shows what huge gains you've made in terms of strength.

• Advertisement

Week Aug 12th - 18th

Monday PM: 75 mins Easy
    8m @ 9:25min/m, avg hr 138bpm, max hr 153bpm

A little bit faster then easy but in a group with a couple of faster runners. Chatting til the end and felt strong, HR looks ok for effort.

Tuesday PM: 4 x 8mins HMP (8:01 min/m)
    6.4m @ 8:21, avg HR 159bpm, max HR 176 bpm

Intervals: 7:59, 7:56, 7:52, 7:57

Did the first 2 on my own and last 2 as part of a local 5k race. Enjoyed the reps, went with the Tinman predicted race time for my HMP though I doubt that will be my eventual HMP when it comes to racing. I'm not sure if i should be going with the predicted pace or a more realistic target pace for these?

Thursday AM: 60 mins easy
    6.9m @ 9:43 min/m, avg HR 144bpm, max 157 bpm

Another slightly too fast easy run. Felt grand but the HR was up a bit compared to Monday, maybe because it was a morning run.

Friday PM: 10 x 300m @ 1m pace
    5m @ 9:20, avg HR 151bpm, max hr 176bpm

Intervals (target: 75s): 75, 77, 73, 77, 78, 73, 78, 76, 75, 76

Didn't find this as hard as i expected, a few were too slow but i ran them as well as i could while keeping form and battling the elements, happy with that, job done.

Saturday AM: LR
    17m @ 10:00min/m, avg hr 138bpm, max 164bpm

Longer than i planned but thoroughly enjoyed it all the same, pleased with the HR trace on this, it only went up at the end when i couldn't resist the challenge to a 600m sprint finish :pac:

Sunday: Rest - quads a little bit tight/sore from the LR. Did a brisk 5k walk for some recovery and felt better after it.

Total: 43 miles

Hmmm so not the easiest of weeks of my own doing, easy runs too fast, long runs too long and long run & session 12 hours apart. Can't really afford to be repeating that kind of week too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Did the first 2 on my own and last 2 as part of a local 5k race. Enjoyed the reps, went with the Tinman predicted race time for my HMP though I doubt that will be my eventual HMP when it comes to racing. I'm not sure if i should be going with the predicted pace or a more realistic target pace for these?

Stick with them. If that was labelled as threshold or CV or whatever, you'd just follow it I'd say. But the thoughts of it being a race pace seem to be putting you off. (In my opinion! Have some faith!)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Stick with them. If that was labelled as threshold or CV or whatever, you'd just follow it I'd say. But the thoughts of it being a race pace seem to be putting you off. (In my opinion! Have some faith!)

Yeah that's a pretty accurate assessment, thanks V i'll stick with it!

Week Aug 19th - 25th

8m @ 10:26min/m, avg hr 134bpm, max hr 146bpm

Tuesday: OH away so no opportunity to get today's session done.

Wednesday: OH arrived home after 8pm so just about time before dark to squeeze in a short run, did this at steady effort, the last mile was on grass so slower but same effort.

4.12m @ 10:09min/m, avg hr 141 bpm

6m @ 10:29 min/m, avg hr 141 bpm

Friday AM:
    30 mins Tempo (8:11-8:24)
    7m @ 9:17min/m (incl 30mins @ 8:09min/m), avg hr 153bpm

Passed 1000 miles on this run, same day as last year coincidentally.

Saturday AM: 2hr LR
    13.5m @ 9:36 min/m, avg HR 146bpm

Sunday: Rest

Total: 39 miles

Week Aug 26th - Sept 1st

8m @ 9:32min/m, avg hr 142bpm, max hr 159bpm

Tuesday AM: 12 x 75s @ CV, off 1 min rec
    6m @ 9:44 min/m. avg HR 145bpm, max HR 169 bpm

Intervals: 7:55, 45, 33, 43, 39, 38, 45, 39, 16, 34, 26, 37

A bit all over the place but for these short intervals i mostly just ignore the watch :o

Wednesday PM: 50mins easy (not :rolleyes:)
    5.7m @ 9:23min/m, avg hr 146bpm

7m @ 10:22 min/m, avg hr 146 bpm

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 1:45 LR incorporating 4 x 12 mins @ HMP off 2:30 rec
    11.9m @ 9:15min/m, avg hr 146bpm

HMP Intervals (8:00-8:15)
    7:56, 8:21 (.49)
    8:07, 8:04 (.48)
    7:59, 8:05 (.5)
    8:05, 8:17 (.47)

I didn't have time (and ended up feeling too tired anyhow) to do this session on Thursday and to be honest watching everyone doing fancy pace stuff during their long runs for marathon training had given me a hankering to do the same so i merged Thursday's session with my long run. Thoroughly enjoyed this but it didn't feel like a long run at all. I had 2 days rest beforehand of course which really helped, fresh legs!

Paces may seem a little all over the place but there were a few small inclines and wind in spots and i focused on keeping the effort even, i was delighted to see my HR stayed below threshold for this entire session :)

Total: 39 miles

In other news i found out half way through this week that i won't be able to do my target race. Originally i had my sights set on Charleville and then that fell though and now it's replacement race has fallen through too. I was quite upset initially but got over it as the week went on. Thankfully, I have an entry for Dublin Half which originally was a tune up race but now has become the target race. I have 5 weeks left on the training plan and 3 weeks left to train so i will be picking & choosing the sessions for the last 3 weeks from those in the final 5 weeks which i feel best address my weaknesses or are the most race distance specific, it will ultimately be a short enough training block, 10 weeks, but I'm still hopeful i can put in a strong run on Sept 21st.

Week Sept 2nd - Sept 8th

Monday PM: Very easy hour
    5.4m @ 10:56min/m, avg hr 135bpm

Tuesday: Physio, told not to run after it.

Wednesday AM: Very easy hour
    6m @ 10:26min/m, avg hr 136bpm

Thursday PM: 10min LT, 2 min rec, 7min LT, 2 min rec, 3 min CV

Set up HR zone for the LT reps on this due to the high winds. CV i left at pace (7:27-7:37min/m).

Intervals:
    10mins @ 7:33min/m, avg HR 164 bpm (wind on my back for the first 7-8 mins)
    7mins @ 7:45 min/m, avg HR 166 bpm (against the wind)
    3mins @ 7:17min/m, avg HR 169 bpm (against the wind)

I was really pleasantly surprised to see the paces were quicker than my prescribed LT paces, i felt quite strong throughout, working but in control. Good session.

Total: 7 miles / 1hr

Saturday AM: 2hr LR
    14m @ 9:42 min/m, avg hr 142bpm

Sunday PM: Easy hour
    6.25m @ 9:39 min/m, avg hr 141 bpm

Total: 38 miles

Missed a session early in the week this week. I was a bit tired & sore to be honest, physio on Tuesday sorted out a leg length difference which had crept in but left me feeling quite tender for a couple of days so it was Thursday before i tackled any serious running. Very happy with what i got done though, little by little :)

That's a very nice week despite the missed session - you seem to be really taking things in your stride. A very nicely done session and great long run too.

eyrie wrote: »
    That's a very nice week despite the missed session - you seem to be really taking things in your stride. A very nicely done session and great long run too.

Thanks C. Haha yeah some days i'm taking things in my stride, the next i revert to the default setting of over analyse and fear of failure. But I think i'm doing enough to slowly slowly become a stronger runner, whether that shows in the next race or not remains to be seen but i'm in a place where i'm able to train, (mostly) motivated to train and excited to race and that's all i can wish for :)

You're flying it yourself at the moment and really seem to be buzzing off the 5k training! I'm looking forward to following suit next year.

Thanks C. Haha yeah some days i'm taking things in my stride, the next i revert to the default setting of over analyse and fear of failure. But I think i'm doing enough to slowly slowly become a stronger runner, whether that shows in the next race or not remains to be seen but i'm in a place where i'm able to train, (mostly) motivated to train and excited to race and that's all i can wish for :)

You're flying it yourself at the moment and really seem to be buzzing off the 5k training! I'm looking forward to following suit next year.
    That's not a bad place to be at all ;) And I'd say it's very clear that you're already a stronger runner, and no doubt plenty more to come.

And yep, I never (I mean really, NEVER) thought I'd say it but I'm enjoying the 5k stuff! I need to get a bit more of it under my belt to really judge but at the moment I'd heartily recommend the plan I'm using if you do go in that direction next year.

Week Sept 9th - 16th

Monday AM: Very easy hour
    5.5m @ 10:53min/m, avg hr 130bpm

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday AM: 35 mins Tempo (8:11-8:24min/m)

This was tough. It didn't help that i made a balls of setting it up on the watch so i had no pace alerts and i couldn't see the watch between having started the run in the dark and not wearing my glasses :rolleyes: in the end i gave up and tried to run off feel.

Tempo: 4.2m @ 8:22min/m, avg hr 159 bpm

Total 6.7m/1hr

Wednesday PM: 25mins recovery with 3 very short strides (breaking in new kicks!)
    2.35m @ 11min/m, avg hr 128 bpm

Thursday PM: Easy Hour
    7m @ 9:34min/m, avg hr 139bpm

Friday PM: 2 x 20 mins HMP/5mins rec

I procrastinated all week about this session. I went through every possible combination of doing it, not doing it, modifiying it to 1 x 20min, 2 x 15 mins etc with excuses about time restrictions all lined up! I'm not sure why but i really felt intimidated by it. In the end it was fine, my HMP according to TinMan is 8:01, my own personal PHMP is closer to 8:15 so i set the workout for 7:55-8:15. I was delighted to get both reps done at the faster end of the range but i don't think the RPE is sustainable for 13.1. Wore my new kicks for this and they felt great, but not sure they are broken in enough to wear on Saturday, the alternatives are shoes that have 1000+ miles on them or shoes that give me blisters when i go longer than an hour :rolleyes: Not ideal but i had to cut the c/d short to collect a kid from training.

Intervals
    20mins @ 7:59min/m, avg hr 160bpm, max 166bpm
    20mins @ 7:57min/m, avg hr 162bpm, max 166bpm

Total: 7.5m/1hr

Saturday: LR on pretty tired legs
    8.35m @ 9:45min/m, avg HR 142bpm.

Sunday: A disappointing trip to Croker

Total: 37.5 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sunday: A disappointing trip to Croker

Another great weeks training. if you were the new kicks all week they should be fine for Saturday.

1st year in the past few I've missed croker for the Ladies finals but was so glad I decided to sit this one out when I seen the weather and I believe it was freezing there as well. 2 years ago the sun was shining but we were frozen so I can imagine how cold it was yesterday.
    Disappointment for us again this year in the Inters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I procrastinated all week about this session. I went through every possible combination of doing it, not doing it, modifiying it to 1 x 20min, 2 x 15 mins etc with excuses about time restrictions all lined up! I'm not sure why but i really felt intimidated by it. In the end it was fine, my HMP according to TinMan is 8:01, my own personal PHMP is closer to 8:15 so i set the workout for 7:55-8:15. I was delighted to get both reps done at the faster end of the range but i don't think the RPE is sustainable for 13.1. Wore my new kicks for this and they felt great, but not sure they are broken in enough to wear on Saturday, the alternatives are shoes that have 1000+ miles on them or shoes that give me blisters when i go longer than an hour :rolleyes: Not ideal but i had to cut the c/d short to collect a kid from training.

Intervals

Total: 7.5m/1hr

Total: 37.5 miles

That is an excellent session! Good job :D

Younganne wrote: »
    Another great weeks training. if you were the new kicks all week they should be fine for Saturday.

1st year in the past few I've missed croker for the Ladies finals but was so glad I decided to sit this one out when I seen the weather and I believe it was freezing there as well. 2 years ago the sun was shining but we were frozen so I can imagine how cold it was yesterday.
    Disappointment for us again this year in the Inters :(

I was talking to some people afterward who were frozen at it but we were cosy and dry in the davin thankfully, it must have been wind direction. The wet gear was a necessity for getting around though. Miserable day which was emulated in the quality of football in the senior game at least, we only saw the end of the inters. Sorry for your loss on the day, i know the feeling :( It was a long day but i hate sitting at home watching the ladies play to an empty stadium so it was good to fill a few seats and wave the flags :)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    That is an excellent session! Good job :D

Thanks V. It was a confidence boost for sure BUT (and i think i've experienced this before coming up to a target race) it left me caring less about the HM and just wanting to get it out of the way so i could focus on 10k! I've ran 3 x 10ks this year all over 50 mins and yet in training i can do 2 x 20 mins @ sub 8 min/m - go figure :confused: Ok, none of them went great for a variety of reasons and i was very close in one of them (50:04) but this session left me with an itch :D

You are doing some great sessions there ! A half marathon pb should be very attainable .

Bluesquare wrote: »
    You are doing some great sessions there ! A half marathon pb should be very attainable .
    Thank you. I really hope you're right! My confidence levels are up & down this week so i'm trying not too think about it (and failing miserably of course :rolleyes:).

Intervals
    I get the intimidated feeling before sessions All. The. Time. So annoying! The amount of mental bargaining that goes on in advance is ridiculous, when I know in the end it's always just a case of JFDI.

Anyway well done on this, seriously brilliant going there. Particularly the fact that your max HR was the same for the second interval (and average almost exactly the same too) - I would read that as very encouraging, you obviously weren't straining towards the end or working to hold the pace. Excited to see how the weekend goes for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow E!

Week Sept 16th - 22nd

Monday PM: 50mins easy
    5m @ 10min/m, avg hr 138bpm

Tuesday AM: 6 x 1mins Vo2 Max
    5.1m @ 9:36min/m, avg hr 143bpm

Vo2: 6:37, 17, 12, 11, 17, 30

Felt good, wore the new kicks, 15 miles in them now, think they will be the shoe of choice for Saturday's half

Wednesday PM: 50 mins easy
    4.9m @ 10:23 min/m, avg hr 133bpm

Thursday: Rest

Saturday: Dublin City Half Marathon
    Previous HM PB 1:52:31 from September 2018.
    Target pace 8:13-8:25 min/m to give me A) 1:48:xx B) 1:49:xx or C) PB
    Actual: 13.19m @ 8:15min/m to give me my A goal with a chip time of 1:48:43

Miles 1-3: 8:07, 7:51, 8:15
    I started at the very back of Wave 1 (just in front of the 1:50 pace group) alongside Browneyes. We were starting together but there was no committement to staying together. I had 500ml of Tailwind, my first time to use it in a race, i had 2 x 250mls bottle, 1 of the kids' water bottles which was disposable and 1 of the soft flasks that was not disposable. The plan was to start with the plastic bottle in my hand & soft flask in my pocket, however when i went to put the soft bottle into the pocket it started leaking. Ok, try the plastic bottle in the pocket, damn that will annoy me bouncing around. Complete rooky mistake but ended up with a bottle in each hand and feeling annoyed and a bit tense before i started. Browneyes noticed and kindly offered to carry 1 bottle for me. I turned her down (this time) but this was the first inkling i got that she had my back in this race. After a couple of minutes standing in the crowd we were off, the plan was to run by feel for these early miles, not to go to hard but not to be afraid to bank a few seconds on the downhills either. We spotted a Raheny vest in the first mile who we thought might be Murph_D gliding along just ahead of us looking very relaxed. We joked about using him to pace us as he seemed to be just in front of us for a good few miles but he did eventually disappear into the horizon around mile 5/6! Legs felt good in these first 3 miles but my upper body felt tense, my shoulders felt like there was a plank of wood across them but the legs and breathing all felt good. Around the end of mile 1 Browneyes offered for about the 4th time to take a bottle from me and i gave it to her hoping it might help my shoulders relax. There was a water stop near the end of the 3rd mile but we skipped it, as we went by i noticed people including Murph_D squirting water on their legs and i briefly regretted not taking it but oh well we were passed it now. Happy with the splits and effort levels for these 3 miles, feeling good.

Miles 4-6: 8:15, 8:20, 8:35
    If i'm honest these were the the toughest 3 miles for me. Mentally i started to struggle, it was begining to feel like a slog and there was still such a long way to go. Browneyes was still there beside me. We weren't talking much but she'd throw in the odd word of encouragement telling me we were feeling good and i'd nod some kind of acknowledgement that we were (was I?). She was brilliant for telling me what was ahead instructing me to veer left/right etc. During these miles the B goal totally became the target in my head. I wasn't calculating the splits in my head but i knew sub 1:50 would be massive achievement on the day and I'd be happy with that. Skyblue was cheering somewhere in the 6th mile (i think) and he ran alongside us for about 1/2 mile, it was lovely to see him and it gave us a real lift, the distraction so welcome at this point. We did talk splits and targets with him briefly but we only told him the B goal, in my head the A goal was no longer a thing.

Miles 7-9: 8:25, 8:36, 8:01
    When the watch beeped 7 miles i got a huge lift, suddenly we were over half-way, 4-6 had been a drag but the 7th mile flew. Skyblue reappeared again during in the 8th mile and ran with us for most of the 8 & 9th miles iirc. I was still sipping the TW, somewhere in these miles i finished the first bottle and took the 2nd bottle off Browneyes.

Mile 10-12: 8:23, 8:10, 8:04
    At 10 miles Browneyes announced that if we run the last 3 miles at 10min/m pace i'd still get a PB. Cue my train of thought:
    Yay, i can pull back...
    But wait i don't want a PB, i want a 3 min PB (at least) so i need 3 x 9min/m...
    Well then i can still pull back, yay...
    But wait what about the .1, she's forgotten the .1, that's 1:30 extra so i need 3 x 8:30min/m...
    Well i can still pull back a tiny bit, right?
    But wait the last mile is a climb so i need to bank seconds, so now i need 2 x 8:15 & 1 x 8:45
    Sugar, i can't pull back at all in fact i need to speed up!

Once i got my head around this little bit of mental maths it was just head down. I didn't look at the watch, no point, just keep truckin'. At the water stations i poured water down my back and on my legs. Somewhere just after 11 miles i started to feel sick, possibly tmi but felt like i needed to do a massive belch and couldn't. I managed to let out a few small burps (sorry to anyone who was near me) and felt marginally better but i didn't take on any more fuel/water after that. I'd only had about 100mls from the 2nd bottle of TW (350mls in total for the race) but the thought of it made me gag (a repeat of DCM 2018 except that time was gels).

Miles 13 and a bit: 8:21, 6:52 (.19)
    At 12 miles Skyblue joined us again, it was like the smoothest relay handover ever, one second Browneyes was beside me and next she moved off ahead and Skyblue was in her place taking over the reins of getting me to the finish line. I was delighted to see her get a chance to run the last mile and thought she would dissapear into the horizon at this point. Skyblue asked me how we were for time, we were at 8:21 pace and exactly 1:39:00 on the watch. He reassured me this was good. In my own head i couldn't do the maths. It was too much, i couldn't figure out if i had 10 or 11 mins left to finish this race or was it 9!Skyblue told me not to look at the watch after this and i didn't. I was a bit cheeky along here and asked him to take the water bottle that i was no longer drinking from, it was annoying me now. He was super, he just kept reassuring me i was running well and lifting the pace nicely. Browneyes is still just ahead of us and S tells me just 1km to go, a guy in front of us heard and turned his head and asked was it 1/2 mile, Skyblue told him not quite but in my head i was thinking 1k is less than 1/2 mile surely! It's funny because i've trained in both KM & Miles for long periods and can convert easily normally LOL!

5 mins Skyblue tells me. I started counting in my head this is what i do in races, it always works, 5 x 60 would do it, except i forget to stop at 60, i get to 70 twice and get annoyed with myself, counting is too hard. Skyblue points out the finish line but god it looks so far away. I can't be sure but i feel like we're passing the odd person here (?). I notice Browneyes getting closer, so close she looks over her shoulder and calls at me to "c'mon", Skyblue veers off the course and for the first time in the race i don't know where Browneyes is, i can't see anyone left or right of me, just me and the finish line now, i can see the clock change from 1:49 to 1:50, i have no idea what that means. I hear my name called out on the tanoy, i feel like i am on my own running for the finish line, i eventually cross it, press the watch (1:48:44), and immediately bend over double to the side retching for all i'm worth, i try to get up but same again had to get back down to retch some more, thankfully just dry retching, phew. Browneyes appears a second later and i eventually get up and we move off. She had been gracious enough to let me finish ahead of her, talk about an amazing pacer. Between her and Skyblue i was better looked after than Kipchoge on his sub 2 attempt LOL!

Bumped in to Huzzah and ReeReeG from these parts on the walk back, lovely to see them both. Met up with Skyblue again and a friend of Browneyes and had some chats and a cuppa, i started to come to life around then! We eventually jogged back to the car and met Murph_D, his lovely better half AnnaPR, and MisterPaul in the carpark. Some quick introductions and congratulations all around. Lovely to have put faces to names. A bit of a cool-down back to the finish area to meet Baby75 who ran well on a tough day.

Some after-thoughts:
    I am so delighted that i got my A goal, who wouldn't be! Would i have done it without the support i had on the day, absolutely not so massive credit to Browneyes and Skyblue for that. I think i lacked race experience on the day, this year i've raced 6 5ks and PB'd in 4 of them and course PBs in the other 2 but 5ks are a different ball game, 5ks a world of pain but half marathons are a slog and there is a difference between the two. Had I run a half or even a 10 mile in recent months maybe i would have been better prepared mentally for this race but as it stood it was a year since i'd raced at that kind of effort for that kind of distance. But overall i'm super proud and elated actually with this performance and result, it's a massive improvement for me and funnily enough despite how hard it was i still believe there is more to come... just not for a while perhaps!

Sorry for the essay & thanks for reading.

Total for the day: 16 miles

Sunday: Rest

Total: 30 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ah brilliant stuff E, that’s a super result and great new PB. More to come is right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic, well done on the pb and a great report. Your pacers are amazing!

Advertisement