Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Toulouse 15/10/2016 Sky Sports 4 from 17.30

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Brilliant result, was on the edge of my seat screaming for Connacht in the last 10. Aki is just a force of nature; few people transcend skill, talent and strength in sport with something else. He's one of them, he literally took control of the game whenever the ball came near him, in either offence or defence. The winning try, the turn over after coughing up possession, the refusal to go off beside him being totally broken.

Great result for Connacht, pity the TBP wasn't secured though. But another moment in Connacht's history that will hopefully go towards them creating a legacy.

However, having said that, I will be the party pooper and say Connacht mixed the sublime with the very, very poor. Both sides played crap rugby if I'm being honest. Connacht were more interested in seeing what happens when they fling the ball around rather then securing the ball in the first place.

After 3-4 phases Connacht completely lost their shape. Toulouse were very poor defensively, they paid the penalty of having such a large pack, their scramble defence really struggled. Connacht's scrum was absolute annihilated also. And how many times did they cough up ball? Quick ball is all well and good but when you use small back 5 players you run the risk of them not having the bulk to secure ball. Connacht's ruck defenders were constantly blown away because they didn't have enough muscle at the breakdown in the right areas of the pitch.

It's worth remembering that Connacht could've easily lost that game, which would've been criminal with all the possession and linebreaks they had. At times they were very frustrating to watch as every good play was usually ended with an unforced error or some rugby 101 basics being ignored. Improvement is needed to make a serious dent on Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

.ak wrote: »
    Brilliant result, was on the edge of my seat screaming for Connacht in the last 10. Aki is just a force of nature; few people transcend skill, talent and strength in sport with something else. He's one of them, he literally took control of the game whenever the ball came near him, in either offence or defence. The winning try, the turn over after coughing up possession, the refusal to go off beside him being totally broken.

Great result for Connacht, pity the TBP wasn't secured though. But another moment in Connacht's history that will hopefully go towards them creating a legacy.

However, having said that, I will be the party pooper and say Connacht mixed the sublime with the very, very poor. Both sides played crap rugby if I'm being honest. Connacht were more interested in seeing what happens when they fling the ball around rather then securing the ball in the first place.

After 3-4 phases Connacht completely lost their shape. Toulouse were very poor defensively, they paid the penalty of having such a large pack, their scramble defence really struggled. Connacht's scrum was absolute annihilated also. And how many times did they cough up ball? Quick ball is all well and good but when you use small back 5 players you run the risk of them not having the bulk to secure ball. Connacht's ruck defenders were constantly blown away because they didn't have enough muscle at the breakdown in the right areas of the pitch.

It's worth remembering that Connacht could've easily lost that game, which would've been criminal with all the possession and linebreaks they had. At times they were very frustrating to watch as every good play was usually ended with an unforced error or some rugby 101 basics being ignored. Improvement is needed to make a serious dent on Europe.
    thanks for that .ak. so toh simply is so much better? he is and has been the best fullback in irish rugby.

flogthebog wrote: »
    thanks for that .ak. so toh simply is so much better? he is and has been the best fullback in irish rugby.

Not sure what you mean?

He had some nice touches in the game, particularly saving the 1st try after it had almost been butchered by Ronaldson (but the ball should've never have touched the deck). That flick on to Niyi was sublime.

He's nowhere near being the best fullback in Irish rugby right now though. I'd say he's 4th, debatably 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

All fair points. The good news is that the fixtures fall very well. Zebre next week and then plenty of time to work on the flaws before Wasps in December.

The scrum is a serious problem. But as you say, rugby 101 also. While still behind, Connacht got a penalty in their own 22. Muldoon took a quick one to himself; it's great to watch and he got away with it but it wasn't the right call. They need to tighten up because bigger challenges await.

however anybody analyzes this well this is the best. well done lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

And how many times did they cough up ball? Quick ball is all well and good but when you use small back 5 players you run the risk of them not having the bulk to secure ball. Connacht's ruck defenders were constantly blown away because they didn't have enough muscle at the breakdown in the right areas of the pitch.
    Two simple names to partly fix this. Roux (hope next week) and Buckley

connachta wrote: »
    Two simple names to partly fix this. Roux (hope next week) and Buckley

To be honest, you had 15 men out there that should be absolutely fine doing this themselves - yes, Roux and Buckley are beasts will be BETTER at it - but for me I felt there was a tactical call in regards to committing numbers to offensive rucks, and when the rucks went pear shaped nobody was stepping in to help. Too many times the 1st receive would just stare at the ruck as it broke down. It's a definite work on, hopefully Lam adjusts a few things there.

you beat toulouse. its a good dent in europe. please dont undermine the achievement

you beat toulouse. its a good dent in europe. please dont undermine the achievement

No one's undermining anything.

It's a good achievement. A dent on Europe it is not.

Connacht are good enough to be aiming for quarters and semi finals. Beating a team that have been in decline for some time is not making a dent on Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's a great win for Connacht, especially under the circumstances.

But a dent in Europe? Not really. Toulouse came last in their pool last season with just a single game won. They haven't reached a semi-final in 6 seasons. All they have is their reputation these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Connacht were 4 point underdogs. This was hardly a huge upset. Toulouse are well gone from the glory days of Servat, Albacete, Ellisalde, Jauzion et al. Connacht will be in a strong position going into the Wasps double header but there's a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Super win, made for great viewing. That game v Wasps will be a cracker

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

mfceiling wrote: »
    That was the slowest last 90 seconds I have ever lived through...

Slower than France running the ball from their own try line with England needing a try to win the 6N?!

Great game. I only saw the second half but Aki was amazing. Kelleher had a great game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

leakyboots wrote: »
    Super win, made for great viewing. That game v Wasps will be a cracker

Really looking forward to those games. Heading over to Northampton v Leinster the Friday so hopefully I'll make it to Coventry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Certainly wasps will be ano there level up on yesterday's game, no one is getting carried away except the media but beating toulouse is still an achievement and generally our defence was very good except for a 10 miNute spell where we stood off them, improvements still needed in set piece, I would'not be as negative as the previous poster but he makes some good points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Ouncer
    Thought about you when Blade made his side-step costing us 35 meters in the 42nd minute

Advertisement