Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of Closed account taglines

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seems reasonable. Is there a notification if your and PM somebody that their account is closed? Or maybe even replying as that could get confusing. And also waste peoples time. May have been answered I did not read thoroughly.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

tagline or no, the likes of us, and eventually everyone, is going to know a blank tagline is a closed account.
    My blank tagline isn't a closed account. So, no, it won't mean that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's a mod who closed her account 18 months-2 years ago. At that time her profile clearly said Closed Account. I don't know if it's since the new site, but now it says she's a registered user...I presume you can't reactivate a closed a/c, so I guess this is a glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Another suggestion would be to change the tagline to something neutral such as 'Guest', similar to the tagline vbulletin shows by default if guest posting is enabled.

If the final decision is to get rid of the closed account taglines, I would suggest adding a CSS style tag such as 'display:none' to collapse the empty space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Good idea. You've got bigger fish to fry over this I would have thought?
    There's a mod who closed her account 18 months-2 years ago. At that time her profile clearly said Closed Account. I don't know if it's since the new site, but now it says she's a registered user...I presume you can't reactivate a closed a/c, so I guess this is a glitch.

If their ID can be confirmed by an Admin the old account is renamed and then their new account is renamed to their old name...... If that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Big Turd

Boards.ie Mark
    One of the first things that I did when joining Boards was I went through a variety of Feedback threads across the site to see what issues were being highlighted.

Keep it up Mark!

I'm liking the Boards News Thread over in announcements aswell. Keep doing it. You could automatically subscribe everyone to that forum so people know that you guys might finally be starting to listen.

New Forums created in a week rather than fecking years like it has been taking! Lord almighty!!

All badly needed.

You could do with bringing down (or look at doing away with?)the usage restrictions for new users/accounts, bit of a PITA they are!

I forget how to do manual quotes, theirs a slash in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I doubt I'm alone in liking being able to see the Closed Account tag.
    Maybe have it as option (defaulted off) in user cp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Blank will be closed. Grand job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Does the user have the option to remove all posts, threads, they partook in, if closed account, rather than appear to be still a site member?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Does the user have the option to remove all posts, threads, they partook in, if closed account, rather than appear to be still a site member?

Nope. This is covered in the Terms of Use, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I too like it as that is the truth.

Why hide the truth to "appear better"?

You could at least leave it as a setting for user to choose but don't remove it, thanks.

But how do you know If a user is still a member or not, just by regular posting?

As for removing all posts, it has been reported on other sites such as reddit that you have indeed deleted every post and account from certain users who are in the courts or on the news??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As for removing all posts, it has been reported on other sites such as reddit that you have indeed deleted every post and account from certain users who are in the courts or on the news??

If there's an ongoing legal case and there's a chance that certain posts by, or about an individual, could be construed as potentially having a bearing on the case, then Boards is legally obliged to remove them to avoid being in contempt of court.

Zaph wrote: »
    If there's an ongoing legal case and there's a chance that certain posts by, or about an individual, could be construed as potentially having a bearing on the case, then Boards is legally obliged to remove them to avoid being in contempt of court.

Ahh cheers. Was curious.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

The Closed Account tagline change has been rolled out now.
    Big Turd wrote: »
    Boards.ie Mark

You could do with bringing down (or look at doing away with?)the usage restrictions for new users/accounts, bit of a PITA they are!

Funny you should mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The Closed Account tagline change has been rolled out now.

Funny you should mention that

So yourself and the mods etc had a discussion, decided it would be best if the 'Closed Account' tag was removed. Yet the only people who cannot tell if an account is closed or not now are non-mods.

Transparency has always been a challenge for the site, it's getting worse.

Removing the Closed Tag from user profiles reminds me of that movie 'Weekend at Bernies".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The decision was based on feedback received from site members.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

How come some closed account users still have stars under their name and others don't?

A random example, I picked this thread

Two posters seem to have closed accounts, both with thousands of posts under the belts but one has stars and the other doesn't

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70124141&postcount=2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70141176&postcount=8

Personally I like the Closed Account tag gone, it somehow looks better. I like the stars though too so not sure why some have them and others don't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

May as well get rid of the Registered User tagline too. It serves no purpose that I can see.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Personally I like the Closed Account tag gone, it somehow looks better. I like the stars though too so not sure why some have them and others don't

The rank (which results in the stars on display) is actually cleared when an account is closed, so no closed account should have them. However, there is some inconsistent data, most likely from rollbacks and data restores, which has led to some keeping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The decision was based on feedback received from site members.

From some site members.

Of course the people who made the decision to close their accounts don't get much say. Those that didn't comment are a voice in the wilderness also.

Removing the tagline to increase public perception that the fora are a welcoming, happy place is window dressing, and more so for advertisers.

Its getting akin to the skewing of subscribers base numbers that pay television companies use to fiddle their popularity.

It would have been better to tackle the problem of why the contributors of content (some prolific) close accounts, not the labeling of those accounts, however embarrassing.

I say that as someone who has been there and seen the shenanigans that goes on with posts in the feedback forum deleted, prior to the contributor eventually making the decision to close their account.

There can be little trust without transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The grey area is for people who stopped using the site before the TOUs came in.

You used to just get an email from Regi (I think) Saying Welcome.

On topic... Does anyone have a link to the original thread where people were asking for this change or the topic was discussed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

STB. wrote: »
    From some site members.

Of course the people who made the decision to close their accounts don't get much say. Those that didn't comment are a voice in the wilderness also.

How exactly do you suggest feedback is collected from those that don't want to give it? The only way I can think of is annoying pop ups that would have me off the site before the end of the day.

Where feedback is collected then it would not make sense not to react to that feedback as has been done here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Such as?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How exactly do you suggest feedback is collected from those that don't want to give it? The only way I can think of is annoying pop ups that would have me off the site before the end of the day.

Where feedback is collected then it would not make sense not to react to that feedback as has been done here.

If you are implementing change and there is value attached to the people who contribute, you can find a way.

Are the the people who didn't see that discussion and didn't respond perceived as fine with how things are tagged or fine with the changes ?

I contribute to this forum and I didn't see anything.

If the decision was made through discussion by those who moderate rather than contribute or do a little bit of both then just say so, but I am not swallowing that it was by popular demand.

Its not the end of the world regardless of the decision, but my argument here is to tackle the problem, not the aftermath which is to pretend that people are not closing their accounts.

Vanity is my favourite sin. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Removing the 'closed account' tagline was discussed in the "Is Boards becoming a ghost town?" thread. Feedback received & acted upon.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Removing the 'closed account' tagline was discussed in the "Is Boards becoming a ghost town?" thread. Feedback received & acted upon.

in the interests of vanity and advertisers or whom exactly ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement