Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

Continues to climb the world rankings. Up to 63rd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

Seamus picked up 5 OWGR points last night and moved up to 63rd in the world. He’s in full events with full points for the next 6 weeks so a couple of top 20s and probably a top 10 in his next 6 events could see him sneak into Augusta. It would be true Seamus fashion to get in at 50 to get the last spot.

Great stuff from him over the last few days as well. It would have been very easy for him to just turn up and play around quietly to pick up some money but his demeanour has changed so much since this time last year. He’s got an air of confidence around him now and the golf he’s playing is different level it has to be said. The guys who used to appear on here on Sunday nights taking the piss have gone very quiet all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Great showing again this week. Shows he's able to mix it with the top pro's.

I'm always amazed when I see the prizemoney on offer too. $132,500 for T13 is some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

It's incredible that a year ago I was delighted if I heard he made a cut and even if he didn't pick up ranking points after making it I still right it was positive - a good sign. Now we're talking about him having high finishes in big events with a view to making the masters. He's really shifted our expectations on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Yeah hope he can maintain this level of consistency. If he does he has a great chance to get into the top 50 and make Augusta. If that were to happen we'd have 4 Irish in the Masters, that hasn't happened in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If Seamus is inside the top 60 by mid May he will qualify for the US Open in Brookline in June. That would be some achievement and with a Boston crowd he’d nearly have a bigger following than some of the Americans. I’m booking flights this week as I was planning on going over to see some friends this summer anyway so I may as well combine the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

March 28th is the cut off for The Masters, he already has The Players (March 10th) and The PGA (May 19th) to look forward to.

He also has a shot a getting into the WGC Match play on March 23rd if he stays top 64 (often drifts out a few places due to a few no shows). Cut off after Players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The top 50 really is the golden ticket and if he maintains his form in the next few months there is no doubt he will break into it.

He really has moved to a new level in the last 6 months. I'm delighted for him. It's great to have another Irish golfer to root for when watching the PGA tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think he has 3 more events with a divisor of 40 so if he gets about 13 or 14 points in the next few weeks then he should get inside the top 50. The problem then is staying there but that's not a bad issue to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

On March 28th last year Seamus was ranked 463 after the Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship

Now he's ranked 63, a jump of 400 places in less than 10 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Schedule over the next 6 weeks:

La Quinta for the American Express

Skips the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines.

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am

Waste Management Phoenix Open

The Genesis Invitational at Riviera before returning to Waterford to see family during Honda Classic week.

Very interesting to see where he stands after that run. I think he has only played in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am before.

Would love to see Power, Harrington and Lowry teeing it up at Augusta. I'd pay good money to watch that practice round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Anyone else have Power ahead of Lowry by year end

I think it is a good goal for him if he can get in top 50 soon so they are on equal footing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Seamus has 2 events in which he didn’t score points that will fall out of the rankings calculation over the next 5 weeks. So his divisor will stay at 40 for the next 5 events in which he competes.

Looking at the next 5 weeks, he will lose around 4 world ranking points due to the application of the weighting factor that applies to points earned more than 13 weeks ago. His current average is 1.9017 points and Stewart Cink, who is in 50th place, has a current average of 2.2098. If the cut off for top 50 remains the same, Seamus will need to earn just over 16 world ranking points over the next 5 weeks in order to break into the top 50.

If he can keep up his recent form, he should have an excellent chance of achieving this.

That’s good to hear regarding the points Seamus probably needs to get into the top 50. I had it that he’d need 24+ not including the 5 he picked up at the weekend. It seems like a small number of points in the difference (20 vs 16) but they’re not easy to come by. I didn’t know his divisor will stay at 40 for 5+ events, can you explain that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

-7 round, into tied 3rd. Seemingly should've got birdie on last, but great round to have. Didn't think a run of form would last this long, but great to see it on-going.

Seamus is a totally different player mentally and physically from what we saw previously. He had a couple of poor coaches for a couple of years that probably set him back further than first thought. He employed that conman Nick Bradley up until a year or so ago and no surprise when he sacked him things started to improve.

The mental side of it is so important as well. When results started to improve slowly, the pressure started to lift and that’s massive for the guys fishing at shallow end of things on tour. Not knowing where or when he was going to be playing next, Monday qualifiers and driving/flying to tournaments as an alternate. I mentioned it before but Seamus was an alternate for a tournament so jumped in his car and drove 5 hours to get to the tournament the day before it started. He got in and played crap for two days & missed the cut. Those kind of things would destroy you mentally.

Something clicked last year and Seamus has made no secret that it was Bob Rotella that made it happen. The turnaround in his career has been remarkable it really has. From talking to those close to him, the difference in him personally has been unreal as well. Much happier with everything he’s doing now compared to before. Imagine knowing you have that talent but can’t translate it into results? Ability wise I’m serious when I say it, he’s up there with the very best of them. I’ve said it before here and I’ll keep saying it he’s going to win again and I think we’ll see a serious push for the Ryder Cup in Rome.

The divisor is based on the number of tournaments you’ve played over the previous two years, subject to a maximum of 52 and a minimum of 40. If you’ve played more than 52 events, only the last 52 you’ve played are taken into account.

if you have played fewer than 40 tournaments, your divisor will increase by 1 with each tournament you play. But at the same time, any tournament that has reached the two year point will fall out of the reckoning. In Seamus’s case, there are 2 tournaments from late 2019 that will fall out of the reckoning over the next 5 weeks. So this means he can play 5 times before he reaches 40 tournaments within the past two years and it will only be when he plays his 6th tournament that his divisor will increase to 41.

You may ask why tournaments from 2019 are still being included in his two year average. This is due to the OWGR being frozen for 12 weeks from mid March 2020 onwards. After the 2 tournaments from 2019 fall out of the reckoning for Seamus, it will be quite a while before the next one does. This is the Pebble Beach Pro-Am in week 6 of 2020. Because of the 12 week hiatus, it will be week 18 before that falls out of the reckoning and Seamus’s divisor is therefore going to increase above 40 if he plays 6 or more tournaments before then.

I know it’s quite complicated and the adjustment for the COVID break complicates things further, but I hope this answers your question. I’m happy to answer any further questions anyone has on how the rankings are calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

its fantastic whats happening to Seamus,all the uncertainty around his card for years that held him back is now conversely allowing him to play with a level of consistency that is really impressive.Went to bed thinking it would be a slow day for him and wake up to 7 under.There was a time when his final days play was hurting him repeatedly which was probably a function of needing it too much which is now gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Haven't looked aactual stats as on my phone and not ar$Ed. But does Seamus rank badly in that 5ft to 12ft range?

It could be just because I always flick through everyone of his holes on shotracker but I feel he either drains 40 footers or he stitches the pin. Lots of 6 to 12 footers seem to go a begging.

Anyone with actual stats confirm if I'm talking out my a$$ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

thought same looking at pga app play by play thru last two tournaments.

his lag putting also looks great as usually hes knocking in a gimme for par~birdie

His putting stats don’t look too bad https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28252.seamus-power.html

According to this he’s missed 1 putt out of 23 from 4’. I don’t know whether this includes last night’s miss on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Even though he has his card for 2023 he is nearly there with a play off spot already. I think this would be a great boost for him.

On OWGR is going to get interesting when we finish the 12 week break. A lot of players will be smashing through 52 tourneys going through them weeks when everything back aligned to 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Great start, brilliant to see another bogey free round. His confidence must be sky high and with that level of confidence and playing well Motivator may be right about another win coming his way this season. We'll all be watching with interest that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

Brilliant analysis. From his schedule then, it looks as though his divisor is going to increase before the masters - it looks like he's going to play 8 or 9 events between now and the end of March. Is it possible that he could end up in a position where he needs to "mind his handicap" and not play in some events to be certain of staying in the Top 50?

Excellent thank you. I wasn’t sure what way it worked with the two events dropping off his “score”. Due to that I miscalculated the points he most probably needs to hit the top 50. Your magic number of 16 points looks a lot better than my 20+!

A big step made by Seamus last night with his first round score. -2 or -3 while still good scoring essentially knocks you out of a tournament like this, same as we saw last week. Those lads that are -2 starting today might get to -8 or -9 tonight and still be 6 or 7 shots behind going into the weekend. Seamus being a couple of shots off relieves a bit of pressure today and he can just play his own game without having to force the issue.

The winner of this event will come from one of the guys in the top 10 after last night’s round.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Important birdie on the 18th there, don't think he'll be in the top 10 by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

In position for another good finish, a top 10 is well within his reach, come on Shamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

A couple under is average enough today but still in good shape to contend at the weekend. Go Seamus.

Advertisement