Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a House

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Currently getting prices for a 210 sq metre house in midlands

coming in around €220,000-€230,000

we own the site

I don't know why people use square feet.
    feet and inches haven't been used in Ireland for 4 decades

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

nice_guy80 wrote: »

we own the site

I dont know why the only people who put up prices are those that are about to start..

BryanF wrote: »
    I dont know why the only people who put up prices are those that are about to start..

I'll come back when we're finished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

The house that I posted in the OP came in bang on budget with no changes thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

we own the site

That is interesting where are you based?

Similar sort of position as me in thst we own the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

For what it's worth, I'm halfway through a 190sqm bungalow build in the west with a contract price of €262,000. That's build only of house and waste treatment, not including garage, connection/professional fees and the following PC Sum items:

Kitchen + appliances
    Sanitary ware
    Supply of flooring (fitting included in contract)
    Painting
    Light Fixtures + Door handles.
    Furnitures/Finishings etc.

The nature of the house (being a bungalow) and the fact there is a lot of steel involved in the build will push the price a bit in this case but the numbers listed in the OP do appear to be a good guide line from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I notice 25k for a mechanical pc sum.

Do you mind if I ask what eventually made it into this sum. MHRV? Heat Pumps? Rads or UF?

Thanks mill for posting - confirms what I have been telling people!

I notice 25k for a mechanical pc sum.

Do you mind if I ask what eventually made it into this sum. MHRV? Heat Pumps? Rads or UF?

Thanks mill for posting - confirms what I have been telling people!

Geothermal and underfloor heating throughout went in. It actually came in under the budget as that particular client went with a different supplier with whom they had a connection with. It was €20k all in, in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Thanks. I was thinking it was of a level that could only justify geothermal.

I don't see a MHRV installation mentioned at all. Was there none in this build? It's in the vast majority of build's we do these days?

Thanks. I was thinking it was of a level that could only justify geothermal.

I don't see a MHRV installation mentioned at all. Was there none in this build? It's in the vast majority of build's we do these days?

Under the 23k there is another line item for 5k that is the supply install and commission of MHRV.

• Advertisement

neil_hosey wrote: »
    That is interesting where are you based?

Similar sort of position as me in thst we own the site.

westmeath

its going to be selfbuild, probably timber frame insulated panels for walls & roof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I am coming into the final 8 weeks of a build in the midlands. 3000sq/ft, 2 storey, no garage, no landscaping, no wall / gates, builders drive only. Contract price came in at 235k, the build started Feb 1st this year. Contract price included argon filled triple glazing, pre-cast 2nd floor, pre-cast stairs, A2W HP, MHRV, electrics, domestic plumbing, internal joinery, plastering (internal / external), waste treatment / sewage, paths, 2k PC sum for bathrooms, 4k pc sum for stairs.

After paying for kitchen & appliances, flooring, stair coverings, council contributions, water connection, esb connection, modest furnishings, solicitors, engineer fees, stove, bathrooms, we have spent a further 72k. So a total of 307000. This is going to get us to a point whereby we can move in, but by no means fully furnished.

I would estimate a further 30k could easily be eaten into if I needed the wall / gates and some landscaping

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

I'm glad to see that I am not overpaying.

Detail so far on our self build
    2 Storey
    2750 sqft
    Straightforward design

Preliminaries - Planning / Solicitor / WS Connection: 9k
    Foundation Material: 12.2k
    Foundation Labour: 4.6k
    Blockwork Material: 17.3k
    Blockwork Labour: 9.5k

I havent yet invoiced myself for labour to date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

17k for blockwork labour???

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

893bet wrote: »
    17k for blockwork labour???

Blocks Material and Labour were the wrong way around
    Material includes hollowcore, lintels etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Interesting collection of figures. Thanks for posting. Is there an attempted breakdown anywhere between materials and labour? I don't think so as that's not how it's priced.

Good guide for anyone involved in self building and I mean real self building, where you do the work and labouring yourself!! I built a good sized two storey extension about 12 years ago, total floor about 100 sq metres. Cost between €40-€50,000. Including the roofing done by builder and that included re roofing existing part of house.

Materials and specs have risen but there's a lot of money tied up in labour and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wex13

westmeath

its going to be selfbuild, probably timber frame insulated panels for walls & roof

Could you elaborate on house type/shape and what is or isnt included in quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

Thanks for posting the BOQ Tefral, thats very helpful. I've found it very difficult to view actual Bills of Quantities online to nail down projections for a new build. Im debating whether to go self build or use contractor and part of the problem is knowing how much extra a contractor will be and where we can potentially make some savings ourselves.

Can I ask if anyone has an actual cost of build up to wall plate level for shell only. In other words foundation, dead building, radon, floor insulation, sub-floor poured, rising walls, concrete first floor and concrete stairs if installed ? Ive looked at erecting the main structure in precast concrete and have a definitive cost on it (€54k for solid wall and external insulation is extra) This doesn't include the below ground elements (foundation, sub-floor and dead building if needed)

Advertisement