Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitch.tv quality from Gaming PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You really need to connect the PC up just like you have the HTPC to climate all this guess work.

Well that would be an optimal solution alright, but that involves running ethernet outside the house and back in, something I cant really do myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well that would be an optimal solution alright, but that involves running ethernet outside the house and back in, something I cant really do myself

Could you not just take the PC downstairs and see if its OK then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

TheDoc wrote: »

Only thing I can figure is either Twitch issues, Virgin issues, or my powerline adapters are acting up. I'm getting like 50-60mbps down and 20mbps up...

Streams still look pixelated and laggy. Not happening with youtube or netflix

despite the fact it's been pointed out lots of times that network issues won't cause degradation in quality of a stream, they will cause breakups .

you've gotten lots of suggestions to try, but seem to be honing in on the smartplugs, and haven't tried any of them. to be honest, and not having a go, not sure what more you want from people.

mossym wrote: »
    despite the fact it's been pointed out lots of times that network issues won't cause degradation in quality of a stream, they will cause breakups .

you've gotten lots of suggestions to try, but seem to be honing in on the smartplugs, and haven't tried any of them. to be honest, and not having a go, not sure what more you want from people.

Well as you say people seem to be ruling out the network, so I guess I'm looking for guidance on what to look for in terms of things on my PC?

Like it's Google Chrome, it has built in flash that you don't maintain outside. So both HTPC and PC are similar in this sense.

I'm honing in on the smartplugs because its the only thing that seems to make sense to me, and I guess maybe someone will come along going "oh yeah that **** happened to me, here is what I did".

I'll try lug the PC downstairs and plug it in, but fair bit of work uncabling so it's not an immediate solution. But I will try. I should mention though, that I don't think that is right to say degradation of network issues won't cause quality issues. Of course it does. If you don't have a good connection Netflix for example doesn't scale to HD and keeps you on 480p and sometimes less. Twitch has the same sort of function where even if you are selecting "source" if your connection is not up to par, its not feeding you the full whack. I literally just know this to be the case first hand from three different houses I've lived in where the quality has changed for the better as my internet availability has got better, and also just even from some friends houses where their internet is trash.

So I'm looking for maybe some left field suggestions. Is there Chrome things to look at, is there video card things I can check. The likes of that.

I should mention, which is my fault, I didn't outline the OP this only started happening the last like 3-4 weeks. I mentioned that on the Virgin thread to them but forgot here. I thought it was actually a Virgin media issue until I saw on the HTPC it was fine.

Appreciate also people saying that on my HTPC or phone it might be pixelation from distance, but its one of those you need to trust me that I know the difference and its massive. Even the smoothness is worlds apart on my phone and HTPC compared to my PC.

I'm picking up a new router this week and a AC WIFI adapter for my PC. I had planned to get the router for a good while anyway, the availability for AC in my new Virgin Hub just made me push along the planned purchase. I see on other threads about Virgins Hub 3.0 how people with third party routers get such stronger performance.

I tested an AC device for the first time over the weekend, and on an iphone 6 was getting 110-120mbps on wifi, compared to the 50/60mbps via homeplugs. Twitch looked pretty superior on that (I ran it at my PC desk to mirror the range)

I know myself I'm pissing in the wind a bit and I just need to run a cable, but its a bit of a last resort for the scenario I have. So a new router was a planned purchase anyway, so will grab an AC adapter(which was planned also) and will drop back an update when that setup goes into play.

So payday I just went and bought a TPLink Archer C8 router and TPlink AC Wifi adapter for the pc.

These are the speeds I'm getting on gaming PC with the adapter to Virgin provided router (C8 being a dick and cant get it working yet)

5754890416.png

First test I did was onto Twitch and to no surprise, everything running like my HTPC. HD, beautiful FPs and im pretty delighted. IT was a massive positive after two hours of soul destroying messing with the router(Still not working)

So as originally thought, was a homeplug/powerline adapter issue.

Granted I'll need to see use over the coming days to see if the Twitch side of things is resolved(they've had problems) but from my end at least I'm confident I've now ruled it out.

With WIFI AC being so strong and reliable, don't think I'll use homeplugs ever again really.

I'm on Virgins 240 package btw, so I'm basically maxing out over wifi, which is AMAZING

• Advertisement
Advertisement