Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

Jesus that's painful!! I haven't seen any of these thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mywifetoldme

I was watching that ad with subtitles on.

The word murderer is mentioned at least 4 or 5 times

Just what I want to be thinking about while drinking my Lucozade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's all here - https://www.lottery.ie/useful-info/90-percent-back-to-community

I have a few drinks on me and I can't get those numbers to work out... 🤕 Unless it's all 'guesstimates'. 56% seems to be working from a different total than the 5%.

• 56% returned in prizes (€585.9 million).
    • 29% transferred to the Good Causes Fund (€304 million).
    • Over €55.3 million (5%) paid in retail network commission.
    • Cost of operations, administration, and profit 10% (I am guessing = €110.6 million)

With over 5,300 retail partners, the National Lottery retail network contributes significantly to the Good Causes fund and in 2021, retail sales amounted to €878.6 million. Retailer commission also grew to €55.3 million which benefited retailers all over Ireland.

585.9 + 304 + 55.3 + 110.6 = 1055.8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Just witnessed the Crown Paints Ad.

I think it is a shocking end to white middle class suburbia. That poor Great English Sheepdog will be howling from his kennel. That add is literally "dripping" with inclusivity, I hope they have covered the floors.

I am slightly unsure of the message of all these brooding 20 something white females salivating over pure vanilla paint, whilst every Afro-ethnic sperm donor north of the river Congo baritones their suitability to give it to them big style at their next DIY fantasy.

Fairly putrid undercoat of media ochre woke.

Post edited by Count Dracula on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Because they managed to not pay out the jackpot for a statistical miracle 9 months, there was a high level of sales during that time. So those figures are distorted for that year.

So, when those figures are considered, 10% is missing. Where does that go? To the operators of course. So the operators get the equivalent of all the weekly prize money every month.

Nice work if you can get it. Plus, they are spending huge amounts on advertising. Who pays for that? I did hear it was unclaimed prize money - but surely not - that has to go in extra prizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

On their website it says:

These sales are returned to communities in the form of prize winnings, Good Causes, and commission to retailers all over Ireland.

• 56% returned in prizes (€585.9 million).
    • 29% transferred to the Good Causes Fund (€304 million).
    • Over €55.3 million (5%) paid in retail network commission.
    • Cost of operations, administration, and profit 10%.

Approximate figures for the year ending 2021

So 10% is about €110m.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Needs more trans/intersex/whatever your're havin' yourself couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"I'm on the next level, yeah, I know you heard about it..... .... check it out check it out check it out"

Every single time I hear it, I genuinely think it sounds like that song was written by a 5 year old. It is sh*t. Terribly terribly bad. Apart from it just being really really bad, I can't pinpoint why I think it sounds like it was written by a very immature song writer. It's sh*t.

The 'all new Astra plugin hybrid' advert.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm way behind on this thread, just going to catch up. But **** 'Liam I'm on the move' aaaaaaaaargh, I hate that ad. I thought it had gone away, 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Also going in on the crown ad. Baby on the way song thing. No one gives a shite about other peoples babies!

If I was buying paint, I would actively not buy crown paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Ugh this **** advert, we have a baby due soon and first time we saw it thought "aww that's cute". The 100th time later we are scrambling for the remote to change channel, **** off with your Chernobyl yellow nursery

And are we really meant to believe that the son stays on the line long enough for the kettle to boil?!? Instead of, you know, "I'll ring you back in 5 minutes? I'm down in the yard".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The farmer in the ad, shouting away at the phone, not even looking where he's walking. An accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The runt of a son doesn't realise the dad already answered the question when he said "ah we're flyin it sure". He still goes in "but...how are you holding up?"

"Ah sure grand" is the default response to the question "how are you", for large swathes of the population.

Your wife might have run off with the milkman, the postman just ran over your dog and the bank are about to re-posess your house and most Irish people would still go "Ah yeah, grand".

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

The very creepy seventy fiiiivvve meat thermometer ad, even more annoying because its worked, I know what its about and I remember its message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'Skull shooz awreddy' - another ad I had hoped was gone away 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The Extra chewing gum ad. The absolute feckin state of the place. What a minger!

So you hook up and end up going back to hers.

Well, this is my place, c'mon in

Yeah, eh...nice.

I'll put the kettle on.

Ok great. Listen, I'm just eh...nipping down to the car...I think left my phone there, back in a bit.

Cool.

*screech of tyres*

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

This is the thing. I deliberately avoid buying products whose ads annoy me. I can't be the only one. I'm looking for quality at a fair price. I don't care about the pronouns, the minority backgrounds, the gender balance, the sexual orientation. I'm only interested in how good it is and what it costs. Then again, I'm not the target market. Oh, and I have used Crown paint in the past, it was mediocre and looked nothing like the colour on the colour chart, once bitten twice shy. You've just reminded me that I've a ton of painting to do and it's not going to be cheap and I'm dreading it. 😀

• Advertisement

You know you're getting old when your main concern about going home to a messy house with a one night stand is what you might catch from the messy house. Looking at the state of that place you're looking at a potential hoarder who ends up on one of those documentaries about people who are trapped in their homes because they never tidy up and they get blocked in by all the crap they've hoarded. 😀

I'm not sure any bride would be in a fast food place eating fried chicken with her fingers while wearing a white wedding dress before heading off to the Church/Registry office. I remember being really paranoid about keeping my wedding dress clean on the day.

Yeah, my husband is really annoyed by the skate boarding guy with no legs whose face is dripping in sweat but who underarms are bone dry. I think it's because he's been working in a really hot environment during the heatwave, is sick of dripping in sweat and no amount of deodorant stops the sweating. He's seriously annoyed about the ad anyway. 😆

Don't even get me started on that young wan sitting on the toilet with her packet of pads. The ad with the other wan shaving her bikini line at dinner time was bad enough, clearly whoever came up with this ad said 'hold my beer'.

Just about to comment on that ad. It fries my brain. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

The Home store and more ad on the radio is wrecking my tits, its as if some lad was paid by the word to write an ad!!

"cause when they're gone, they're really gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Also the 'how are you holding up' or whatever he says, I associate with lockdown. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Whats this nonsense "message" from Meta about smart glasses that's cropping up every ad break now? Is it to advise people they could be being secretly pgotographed, or they can't be secretly photographed, or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Advertisement