Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Fine , failure to "tag on" but I had "Just Validated". .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Haithabu wrote: »
    Still not saying "tagged on" (or "OK", or "grand", or "enjoy your trip") as it should plus still an error tone plus still red lights flashing. Every reason to assume something is not right with the ticket. Or at least enough to have doubts that something is not correct. If in doubt, check your card at the machine. If in doubt, don't just board and assume everything is fine.
    Still missing the point. 3 minutes is too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

people may be listening to music on headphones though - or deaf - so the method by which an actual message is imparted should be the primary method.

Thats why it flashes a red light too.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Still missing the point. 3 minutes is too long.
    I agree. 10 seconds should be enough to avoid tagging twice by accident. But I don't see why this is a big issue because how often does the scenario occur that you get off, tag off and then change your mind about your travel destination, tag on again and take the same tram again ?

And why is that "missing the point" ? Does disagreeing with the 3 minute rule entitle you to board the LUAS without a valid ticket ? Maybe they want to avoid that you give the LUAS card to a friend who is waiting at the stop and does his own travel with the same LEAP card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And why is that "missing the point" ? Does disagreeing with the 3 minute rule entitle you to board the LUAS without a valid ticket ? Maybe they want to avoid that you give the LUAS card to a friend who is waiting at the stop and does his own travel with the same LEAP card.
    Firstly, the frequency of how often it happens is of absolutely no relevance to the merits of the idea. A bad idea is a bad idea no matter if it happens every day or every year.

Spare the "fine" malarky, the appeal was denied and anything to be pursued further is up to the OP.

The machine itself says "just validated" - I think that's a completely legitimate cue for someone to board a tram.

How is that scenario of passing a leap card to someone, even countenanced as a reason? How likely or often would it even be of theoretical benefit? A personalised card couldn't be used, a regular leap card would have normal fares and the same 90 minute duration for everyone.

If someone were going to give an active leap card to someone else, they probably wouldn't tag off in the first place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's happened me a couple of times where I've travelled somewhere for a short appointment and forgotten to tag off.

Come back 20/30 mins later for the return journey, go to tag on on the opposite platform, and get tagged off instead. Then stuck with a LUAS coming but unable to tag on. There's no indication of what the problem is, or how long you're supposed to wait.

First time it happened there happened to be an inspector on the platform who saw me glaring at the validator, came over and asked what was up. Told me they'd be checking tickets further along, gave me his name and told them to say hed given me permission to travel.

Second time I just got on the LUAS. Weirdly, inspector got on, I just gave him my Leap card which as far as I knew wasn't tagged on, expecting an argument, it seemed to check out OK.

It's insane having a completely undocumented 3-minute delay not mentioned anywhere on the Luas or Leapcard websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I agree. 10 seconds should be enough to avoid tagging twice by accident. But I don't see why this is a big issue because how often does the scenario occur that you get off, tag off and then change your mind about your travel destination, tag on again and take the same tram again ?

The problem is that there is no 'three minute rule'. The OP never knew about the rule and even if he/she had read everything ever written on the LEAP card and Luas websites, he/she would not have known about it. It is not in the Luas SI and it is not in the terms and conditions governing the LEAP card. It is just something that somebody made up.

I agree about this being an edge case, something that happens infrequently but if LUAS had accepted it was an edge case, they would have just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Luas have never been good with edge cases, remember the first Leap Day (predates leap cards unfortunately)?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Hello all. Update on the Luas situation. So I send an email asking for an explanation of how the Appeals Board came to their decision. I did not pay the standard fare fine. Since the email I haven't received any correspondence. I'm thinking they decided to not pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hello all. Update on the Luas situation. So I send an email asking for an explanation of how the Appeals Board came to their decision. I did not pay the standard fare fine. Since the email I haven't received any correspondence. I'm thinking they decided to not pursue it.

Only 2 and a half weeks since your first post. I think you may yet get a reply.

Advertisement