Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby for my Son.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Maybe someone can explain rules -

He has just turned 10
    In rugby that makes him still under 10 ?

So he was born in 2006 therefore he should be playing with the u11s.
    I coach u11s in our club and have been with the side since u7s.
    Your son is not too young - we've had 8 new starters with us so far this season which gives us a squad of 46.

His coaches should all have attended the Minis Level I coaching course and will teach him to:
    - hold the ball properly
    - pass off both sides
    - run with the ball in both hands and not tucked under one arm
    - fall properly when tackled (knees, hips, shoulder not straight down onto his side or shoulder)
    - how to tackle correctly (plant foot, wrap arms, his cheek on opponents arse cheek). There should be absolutely no 'swinging' in the tackle.

Our 8 new lads have a bit to catch up on versus our more experienced guys so we spend a lot of time with them working on the skills above on a Saturday morning at training.

Most importantly it's all about creating an environment where the kids have fun and make friends. Good luck and enjoy.

Btw, in response to an earlier comment above, unfortunately streaming does exist at this level, and it's quite common. Really fail to see why coaches take this approach as they're only alienating players that don't make the 'A side', who will most likely turn their back on the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Good advice above. I’m doing under 12’s in the Dublin area ad we’ve picked up 6 in the last 12 months of various abilities. It’s really a case by case situation giving some one to one training and see how they progress before putting them in game situations. We’re lucky we have plenty of coaches so can give them the time and give them a bit of “homework”. It’s still minis and the key factors still have to be fun and inclusive.

Re streaming it is stated in rules that streaming shouldn’t happen and I’ve only seen it happen once in six years. Makes no sense to me that a team does it as they will always dominate as they’re playing a mixed ability team. I understand the logic of lads playing with other strong lads and weaker players getting more time on ball in a weaker team but that only applies if the opposition do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

madds wrote: »
    Btw, in response to an earlier comment above, unfortunately streaming does exist at this level, and it's quite common. Really fail to see why coaches take this approach as they're only alienating players that don't make the 'A side', who will most likely turn their back on the sport.
    But streaming only happens in a small number of places where it can happen. Coaches take this as they want to win and think its better for 'all' to be playing around same level.
    shaungil wrote: »
    Good advice above. I’m doing under 12’s in the Dublin area ad we’ve picked up 6 in the last 12 months of various abilities. It’s really a case by case situation giving some one to one training and see how they progress before putting them in game situations. We’re lucky we have plenty of coaches so can give them the time and give them a bit of “homework”. It’s still minis and the key factors still have to be fun and inclusive.
    Re streaming it is stated in rules that streaming shouldn’t happen and I’ve only seen it happen once in six years. Makes no sense to me that a team does it as they will always dominate as they’re playing a mixed ability team. I understand the logic of lads playing with other strong lads and weaker players getting more time on ball in a weaker team but that only applies if the opposition do the same thing
    Depends in a lot of cases. Ive seen it on occasion in some clubs including my own but that's only done when we know we've a lot and opposition have a lot of numbers and its to make better games. Help the stronger as well as not as strong players.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's arguments for and against it but it mostly boils down to boosting weaker kids' confidence by playing them with others at their level versus giving them a chance to improve by playing at a higher level.

Well coaches can dress it up any way they like but it's not an approach we embrace. It's also against IRFU guidelines. IMO, by streaming into A and B teams the kids placed in the B side are being told that they aren't good enough, that they are the 'development team'. Now some of those kids might be ok with being told this but others will take it heart, feel their coach does not rate them, and turn their attention to another sport. Yes, your A team may improve because they're playing with each other week in, week out, but I'd wager that your overall pool of available players reduces as time goes on.

Taking the opposite approach and playing balanced teams where all players are treated equally, ensures players don't feel segregated. To ensure all players get time on the ball during a match and prevent the 'better' players from hogging the ball, various measures can be employed - the 3-pass rule for example - meaning everyone continues to enjoy the game and develops so by the time you reach the business age grades (u13 and up) you have a healthy group of players to choose from.

It's minis rugby for God's sake. There's plenty of time for grading teams when they reach under 13's. Let them have fun without feeling they are being tested. Leave the streaming to the GAA and soccer clubs.

• Advertisement

Well coaches can dress it up any way they like but it's not an approach we embrace. It's also against IRFU guidelines. IMO, by streaming into A and B teams the kids placed in the B side are being told that they aren't good enough, that they are the 'development team'. Now some of those kids might be ok with being told this but others will take it heart, feel their coach does not rate them, and turn their attention to another sport. Yes, your A team may improve because they're playing with each other week in, week out, but I'd wager that your overall pool of available players reduces as time goes on.

Taking the opposite approach and playing balanced teams where all players are treated equally, ensures players don't feel segregated. To ensure all players get time on the ball during a match and prevent the 'better' players from hogging the ball, various measures can be employed - the 3-pass rule for example - meaning everyone continues to enjoy the game and develops so by the time you reach the business age grades (u13 and up) you have a healthy group of players to choose from.

It's minis rugby for God's sake. There's plenty of time for grading teams when they reach under 13's. Let them have fun without feeling they are being tested. Leave the streaming to the GAA and soccer clubs.
    I just think you have to look to player safety and enjoyment as well. If you streamline the games based on ability in theory all players will be at a more level playing field and should be able to enjoy the game more. They can be more involved. If you have 2 "balanced" teams the guys who would be better on an A team will just dominate much more

I just think you have to look to player safety and enjoyment as well. If you streamline the games based on ability in theory all players will be at a more level playing field and should be able to enjoy the game more. They can be more involved. If you have 2 "balanced" teams the guys who would be better on an A team will just dominate much more

Do you not think the onus is then placed on the coaches to ensure the stronger players don't dominate the match by playing the 3-pass rule, making everyone gets an opportunity to restart, play at 10, scrumhalf etc.?

Anyway, we obviously differ on the merits or not of streaming and that's ok. Will be interesting to see how it works out for our respective teams as they move on from here to Youths.

Do you not think the onus is then placed on the coaches to ensure the stronger players don't dominate the match by playing the 3-pass rule, making everyone gets an opportunity to restart, play at 10, scrumhalf etc.?

Anyway, we obviously differ on the merits or not of streaming and that's ok. Will be interesting to see how it works out for our respective teams as they move on from here to Youths.
    Im not directly coaching any team at these ages this season but for all good intentions in world a 3 pass rule etc just isn't going to happen all the time. I think where possible you can use streaming to help all even at 10/11 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Im not directly coaching any team at these ages this season but for all good intentions in world a 3 pass rule etc just isn't going to happen all the time. I think where possible you can use streaming to help all even at 10/11 years of age
    Well the IRFU disagree so I'm going to keep following their rules. Merits in both but rules are set. Funny enough I've heard stirrings of non competitive age been increased.

Advertisement