Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby for my Son.

Options
  • 06-10-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭

Ok sorry for long intro. This could be a bit out there for the Rugby forum - so sorry mods.

I'm from a soccer background - wouldn't know one end of a Rugby ball to the other - if in fact it is called an end. I like watching Rugby - but think they lose the run of themselves with the importance of it all (sorry - perhaps wrong place to post that). :)

Tried my son out at soccer and he just didn't like anything about it - to make thing a little worse all his friends are a little younger and he couldn't even play for the team due to the January age change. He told me soccer players use rude words - and talk funny :o - by the way, I was a little disappointed at what was tolerated with what players were saying to each other, there was little Ronaldos there at only 8 and he wasn't up to it at all. If I was coach - I wouldn't let anyone talk to anyone like that - particulalry when they were teammates and secondly only 8.

I think in hindsight GAA would have been a better direction.

Anyway - for some reason I decided to get him a Rugby ball and we have been playing a bit with it - he is big and strong for his age and loves the idea of holding onto the ball and not letting it go - up to an including taking you out.

He actively asks us to go play with the Rugby ball - but would be a bit too rough for his soccer friends. He would be slow to go to another sport after his first experience - but is coming around.

So a couple of questions -

we live in the Artane area and the coastal area - Sutton to Clontarf is close.

Is he too old already ?
    How would he start ?
    Seems daft - but do kids get hurt at that age ?
    is it very competitive at that age ?

I'm big into sports - Golf etc, but I think my son needs a team sport - and I need to get moving asap.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Rugby is a great sport. There will be a lot more respect on the pitch.

Give Clontarf office a call or head down there on Saturday morning to check it out. Mini's is not competitive, except for the parents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

He's no too old.
    Contact Clontarf or Suttonians and go training. Maybe he has a buddy in one of those.
    Yes they do get hurt but they get hurt climbing running jumping without a rugby ball near them.
    Mini Rugby until under 13 is non-competitive. Teams are not streamed. There is no score kept or leagues.
    Season just started so great time to give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

shaungil wrote: »
    He's no too old.
    Contact Clontarf or Suttonians and go training. Maybe he has a buddy in one of those.
    Yes they do get hurt but they get hurt climbing running jumping without a rugby ball near them.
    Mini Rugby until under 13 is non-competitive. Teams are not streamed. There is no score kept or leagues.
    Season just started so great time to give it a lash.

That sounds very good - and love that it is non - competitive.

Thanks.

Clontarf is close.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That sounds very good - and love that it is non - competitive.

Thanks.

Clontarf is close.

At his ages it's mostly just about fun and participation. Most of the more technical parts of the game are stripped out.

8 a side, 15 mins a half and no concept of forwards/ backs (I think).

No tackling above the waist, no handing off, no scrums, no lineouts, no kicking etc. He's no more likely to get hurt than he would be playing soccer or GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I started at under 10s I think, I didn't have a particularly sporty family so I think when I first showed up to training and I didn't even know I couldn't pass the ball forward. You get into it fairly fast.

Good luck with it, Clontarf were always a lovely team to play against. Suttonians too tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think I was even older starting; maybe 9 or 10. They called it Leprechaun rugby and you played across the width of the pitch. I think it was 11v11, and I remember you got one point for a try, no conversions or penalty kicks or anything like that. I'm pretty sure there was no rucks, 5v5 in the scrum, all tackling below the waist. (Very long time ago so I may be mixing some of this up). It was very safe, anyway.

Leprechaun rugby is for 7 year olds I think, you play it before progressing to minis.

awec wrote: »
    Leprechaun rugby is for 7 year olds I think, you play it before progressing to minis.

Ah ok, maybe I started in minis then.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ah ok, maybe I started in minis then.

The structure of underage rugby has probably changed significantly since the days when you played.

The ball isn't made out of leather any more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ok sorry for long intro. This could be a bit out there for the Rugby forum - so sorry mods.

I'm from a soccer background - wouldn't know one end of a Rugby ball to the other - if in fact it is called an end. I like watching Rugby - but think they lose the run of themselves with the importance of it all (sorry - perhaps wrong place to post that). :)

Tried my son out at soccer and he just didn't like anything about it - to make thing a little worse all his friends are a little younger and he couldn't even play for the team due to the January age change. He told me soccer players use rude words - and talk funny :o - by the way, I was a little disappointed at what was tolerated with what players were saying to each other, there was little Ronaldos there at only 8 and he wasn't up to it at all. If I was coach - I wouldn't let anyone talk to anyone like that - particulalry when they were teammates and secondly only 8.

I think in hindsight GAA would have been a better direction.

Anyway - for some reason I decided to get him a Rugby ball and we have been playing a bit with it - he is big and strong for his age and loves the idea of holding onto the ball and not letting it go - up to an including taking you out.

He actively asks us to go play with the Rugby ball - but would be a bit too rough for his soccer friends. He would be slow to go to another sport after his first experience - but is coming around.

So a couple of questions -

we live in the Artane area and the coastal area - Sutton to Clontarf is close.

Is he too old already?
    How would he start?
    Seems daft - but do kids get hurt at that age?
    is it very competitive at that age?

I'm big into sports - Golf etc, but I think my son needs a team sport - and I need to get moving asap.

Thanks for any ideas.
    No your son is not too old to start. You are never to old to start. Yes kids can get hurt but not often. It is totally uncompetitive in terms of scores not actually being kept and there is no competitive leagues until kids are playing under 13 rugby
    Just turn up in Clontarf or Suttonians in whichever is nearer or times most convenient. If he has a rugby ball that's great. Many who play don't play or their parents don't encourage them to pick up a ball outside of when theyre scheduled to train/play.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The structure of underage rugby has probably changed significantly since the days when you played.

The ball isn't made out of leather any more either.

Do underage players still get into Ormeau Road for sixpence to watch the Home Nations matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Try Clontarf, the youth set up is brilliantly run with loads of numbers and newcomers at pretty much every age, in fact a lot of kids won't start until secondary school. There are a few contact details in the below link. At that age it is still very much about fun and running around!

http://www.clontarfrugby.com/youth-mini-rugby/u9/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is he too old already ?

hes starting at the right time....

ive had 3 new u15s players this season, and trying to get their basic skills up to a manageable level is a big challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I started playing at the age of 25, there's no too old for starting. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Good luck with it, Clontarf were always a lovely team to play against. Suttonians too tbh.

LIES! Suttonians are dirty rotters, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

No your son is not too old to start. You are never to old to start. Yes kids can get hurt but not often. It is totally uncompetitive in terms of scores not actually being kept and there is no competitive leagues until kids are playing under 13 rugby
    Just turn up in Clontarf or Suttonians in whichever is nearer or times most convenient. If he has a rugby ball that's great. Many who play don't play or their parents don't encourage them to pick up a ball outside of when theyre scheduled to train/play.

To be honest - I'm enjoying throwing one myself. As all new.

So we have been experimenting with spin etc.

I love any ball game and would like to learn more about Rugby. His Grandad played.

Well at least that is one positve - I am willing to do anything to get him off technology and also to get him into at team sport.

I know he will have time for golf and swimming at a later time.

He loves a bit of rough and tumble - but has had no outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sounds like rugby is about right for him. Clontarf is a good club too. No reason you couldn't give it a go yourself either for the craic. I didn't start until my 30s!

Ladas

Going to his first training - what should he have ?

Also best place on northside to get the gear ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Ladas

Going to his first training - what should he have ?

Also best place on northside to get the gear ?

Thanks.

You should be able to get all the gear you need in lifestyle in Artane Castle or Elverys in Clarehalll. They're probably the easiest and safest bets. Any studded football boots and a gum shield (most clubs won't let you play without one) are the essentials really. I'd suggest rugby shorts too but wouldn't panic about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I coach a team of mini's U10's - all he will need is boots and a gum shield.

Forget about spin passing it's not important. Learn to catch the ball (seriously a lot of kids can't do this at 10-11) and pass it back. In other words be comfortable with the ball in hand

Let the coaches coach him and just encourage him. Thing like his speed, size shape etc don't matter there's room for everyone the pitch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

molloyjh wrote: »
    Sounds like rugby is about right for him. Clontarf is a good club too. No reason you couldn't give it a go yourself either for the craic. I didn't start until my 30s!

I started playing golf at 8 and only took up rugby at 35. Gave up the oul golf a while ago though.

My own son is in his first full season at 9. They learn really quickly at that age. The atmosphere is miles better than the football club, full of little arseholes who love themselves that place.

Ok - went down as there was training on.

He was too young - but said feck it - we will go down put gear on and just watch and throw ball around.

Never seen a reaction from him in his life.

The fact it was so technical - trying to work out what they were doing in the drills - he absolutely loved the tackling and was trying to take me down again. :D.

He said he loved how the kids were told what to do and didn't talk back :eek:

We walked the full training and threw the ball to each other, he is a lot better than I expected, I've been working on the concept of getting him to throw the ball legally to me.

But as was said above, let the coaches d the coaching :D

Genuinely delighted the way it all went.

Next step his own training - I just realised how big he is for his age - about 2 years bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Great to hear.

When you say he's too young, were you there on the wrong night or do they not have an U8s team?

It's a super sport to be involved in so hope it goes well!

Great to hear.

When you say he's too young, were you there on the wrong night or do they not have an U8s team?

It's a super sport to be involved in so hope it goes well!

Maybe someone can explain rules -

He has just turned 10

In rugby that makes him still under 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Just saw a player last week age 17 who was absolutely amazing and was told he only started last year. So like other's have said, never too old.

He has just turned 10

It goes by the year he was born I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He has just turned 10

Rugby age groups are decided by the year kids are born in.
    2016/2017
    u7 born in 2010
    u8 born in 2009
    u9 born in 2008
    u10 born in 2007 etc
    Just saw a player last week age 17 who was absolutely amazing and was told he only started last year. So like other's have said, never too old.
    Never too old. Just look at number of pros who started in the sport and those playing at top of club game who started in late teens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I played Gaelic football the other week with a load of Irish college kids and assorted local 'veterans'. There was one chap who had never seen a football before and he played everyone off the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I played Gaelic football the other week with a load of Irish college kids and assorted local 'veterans'. There was one chap who had never seen a football before and he played everyone off the pitch.

Bit of a difference between Gaelic and Rugby there.

Advertisement