Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stuck for news is 'De Leader'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Berty wrote: »
    Yeah but to be fair the Limerick Leader has a vendetta against the University going back a few years.

Austerity has for years, hit everybody hard in this country and it's sickening to read for example of a €100,000 order placed by UL for watches and pens, when at the same time elderly people are spending 24 hours on an UL Hospital trolley before being admitted.

The jeweler who received the order happens to be a member of UL governing body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Austerity has for years, hit everybody hard in this country and it's sickening to read for example of a ?100,000 order placed by UL for watches and pens, when at the same time elderly people are spending 24 hours on an UL Hospital trolley before being admitted.

The jeweler who received the order happens to be a member of UL governing body.

Doesn't that just sum up how business is done in Ireland, whether it's our institutions like the Gardai, the banks, the big charities, our planning authorities and so on. Just check the Ryan report, the Moriarty Tribunal, the Flood Tribunal, The Morris Tribunal - and these are only the ones that were carried out. Many many more wrongdoings were covered up successfully.

Yeah, a grand little nation of fiddlers, crooks & chancers.....and that's the people in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

zulutango wrote: »
    The Leader deserves credit for pursuing the UL story. Let's hope they pursue other leads with such vigour in future.

Highly unlikely, unfortunately, but, as you say, credit where it was due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Well done Limerick Leader standing up to a powerful bully, brave thing to do against a state funded entity.

The arrogance of the UL leadership is astounding although I supposed they viewed the leader as a small backward local paper who would fold against they're financial pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's that all about?

First link I could find

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/207719/UL-withdraws-legal-action-against-the.html

You can figure why the paper doesn't really get on with UL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Berty wrote: »
    First link I could find

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/207719/UL-withdraws-legal-action-against-the.html

You can figure why the paper doesn't really get on with UL

Hardly evidence of a "vendetta". The Leader published what were proven to be factual and accurate details of irregularities and malpractice in UL. The University were obviously angry that these details were uncovered and released in to the public domain.

The dismissal and denial of the reports by UL were shown to be complete and utter lies. Their stance changed when the investigations unit in RTE sent them details of the evidence they had uncovered and intended to broadcast in a special programme. Having ruled out co-operating with an independent enquiry. They now have been left with no other option. Don Barry is seriously tainted by this whole episode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So what? It's a local paper and believe it or not the novena is still a pretty big deal for quite a lot of people.
    I honestly don't know what people are expecting. It's no different to any other local paper in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

So what? It's a local paper and believe it or not the novena is still a pretty big deal for quite a lot of people.
    I honestly don't know what people are expecting. It's no different to any other local paper in the country.

And if I'd posted a link to an article with actual news you'd have come back with your usual criticism.
    That you Eugene?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And if I'd posted a link to an article with actual news you'd have come back with your usual criticism.
    That you Eugene?

I have no time for the leader or their editorial choices, but I do understand what a local paper is and what a local interest story is.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't see the issue here? It's a local story about ignoramouses dumping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

seachto7 wrote: »
    I don't see the issue here? It's a local story about ignoramouses dumping stuff.

I think maybe the angle? 'Fancy New Yorker arrived home to tell us all how bad the dumping is'. I don't know the woman at all and am not criticising her. It's just very 'Someone from abroad said it's bad so we'd better do something'. People already know it's bad.

The issue is that she is not a New Yorker, merely a mere irish native like ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I dunno. If it takes someone from outside to point it out, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Paddico

No, agree with an earlier post, nothing wrong with that article. Making people aware that rubbish dumping and fly tipping is bad can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

While the article highlights an important issue it is totally a cringeworthy!!Award winning, acclaimed journalist returns from New York to set up a twitter page to tell us how we are all living in our own filth. The angle they have taken with this serious issue is silly and condescending imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Can't wait for their next article

"What happens if you just eat Taytos for a solid week? We investigate"

A paywall for their archive :-D Stories about birds nesting in traffic lights must not be bringing in as much advertising revenue as they used to.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/265742/a-message-for-limerick-leader-readers-about-archive-online-stories.html

"FROM next Monday, August 21, stories from the Limerick Leader archive which are more than 14 days old will be subject to a small, individual payment, known as a ‘micropayment’.

Readers will get their first €1 of articles free – and accessing our archived content is extremely quick, secure and simple.

There is increasing awareness worldwide that good, reliable journalism – the opposite of fake news – costs money to produce. At a local level, communities depend on professional, responsible journalists for news they can trust."

Edit: The use of the term 'fake news' made me lose what little respect I had left for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

They didn't put that notice on their facebook page, they would have been torn apart.

• Advertisement

They didn't put that notice on their facebook page, they would have been torn apart.

It was on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/limerick_leader/status/898493441201520641

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Twitter and facebook are two very different beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I absolutely love the comments you get under most Limerick Leader articles. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There is increasing awareness worldwide that good, reliable journalism – the opposite of fake news – costs money to produce. At a local level, communities depend on professional, responsible journalists for news they can trust."

Are we still talking about the Limerick Leader? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A paywall for their archive :-D Stories about birds nesting in traffic lights must not be bringing in as much advertising revenue as they used to.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/265742/a-message-for-limerick-leader-readers-about-archive-online-stories.html

"FROM next Monday, August 21, stories from the Limerick Leader archive which are more than 14 days old will be subject to a small, individual payment, known as a ‘micropayment’.

Readers will get their first €1 of articles free – and accessing our archived content is extremely quick, secure and simple.

Edit: The use of the term 'fake news' made me lose what little respect I had left for them.

A paywall by the Leader is literally the funniest thing ever! Do they honestly think people (outside of researchers) will pay for that $hite?! The New York Times they are not.

They love having their bi-weekly cut off UHL. There's at least a couple of articles (normally front page ones) on A&E and the trollies situation......what's new guys!!!

Change the record ye gimps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

grenache wrote: »

They love having their bi-weekly cut off UHL. There's at least a couple of articles (normally front page ones) on A&E and the trollies situation......what's new guys!!!

Change the record ye gimps!

I really hope Fintan Walsh, the Leaders 'Health' Correspondent' didn't pay to go to journalism school as all he appears to do is count trolleys and rehash the same story on overcrowding.

Limerick desperately needs a news outlet like the Dublin Inquirer. We just need an enterprising reporter with initiative to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There appears to be an appetite for this ****e. The internet has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Somebody had a thought to report it to a local radio station. I don't think that's fair unless you'd see the owner tempting the rat in with cheese or giving the rat manual handling training and sticking them behind the deli. Seems they followed the protocols by the LL story but damned for it anyway because low rent stories get clicks these days.

Speaking of stories. I see the LL have a story up about the Opera Centre and Cian Prenderville and Novas are making submissions to have Affordable housing in there. So 3000 will get jobs there and they can't live there because they won't qualify.

Let's not forget the councillors who said they want the architects to TURN THE BUILDINGS around. :D

Advertisement