Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home announced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

How about irish radio stations like newstalk and todayfm?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Having first heard about this in May 2016 I've been looking forward to getting my hands on it when it eventually releases here. I love these kind of gadgets.

I've watched a few first impression video's on youtube and it looks promising but not promising enough at the moment as its lacking a few features namely multiple accounts. It does have massive potential mind you.

What are your impressions of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I have a bit of a mongrel household:
    Two Sonos Play 1, Sonos connect
    Chromecast + Chromecast audio
    Apple TV 2, 3 and 4
    A few other bits and bobs.
    I am considering Google Home, Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Philips Hue bulbs, Ring Video Doorbell and a few other wireless devices that I really need. I am trying to wait a while to see who provides the greatest level of integration but I might just take the leap and grab a few bulbs and the video doorbell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Advbrd wrote:
    I have a bit of a mongrel household: Two Sonos Play 1, Sonos connect Chromecast + Chromecast audio Apple TV 2, 3 and 4 A few other bits and bobs. I am considering Google Home, Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Philips Hue bulbs, Ring Video Doorbell and a few other wireless devices that I really need. I am trying to wait a while to see who provides the greatest level of integration but I might just take the leap and grab a few bulbs and the video doorbell.

Certainly Philips seem to be working hard with everyone it's works with echo, Google home and will work on apple home kit.

The Ring
    Doorbell is great and I think to get the most of it it's nice to hook it in.

Check if you have WiFi where you want to mount it though

I'm still very happy with lightwaverf, as I can have lights dimmers relays sockets and my heating all on it.

Once you buy the hub you can get 3 sockets adaptors and a remote control for 40 euro.

The also have very nice twin and single sockets these have nice features and if you don't want the ugly double adaptor wemo type units then this is the way to go.

The adaptors are grand behind the TV etc.

I'd consider the nest smoke and co2 detector to be a good buy too.

I'll have the Google home on the 14th November

I have a feeling that I might sell the echo if Google home works out as the Bluetooth speaker I have isn't great. Possibly i should have bought the bigger echo as my speakers aren't great but you have Sonos

I really like the kodi integration mrcheez has with the echo though

Stoner wrote: »

I'll have the Google home on the 14th November

Nice one. How are you getting it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Caillte wrote:
    Nice one. How are you getting it?

A friend is bringing it back

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

The IFTTT is simple.

Install the app.

Have your passwords ready for your devices and Dropbox etc

Search the app for something you have and it will show you loads of stuff. When it comes to hue, lightwaverf, Google drive, Dropbox, etc all you so is sign into them

Any phone triggers like SMS. GPS, etc has no sign in

You'll be up and running in 5 minutes and playing with it for longer until you realise that you won't need half of it

I actually found that I made recipes/Applets for linking Google drive and Dropbox and android photos , nothing to do with home automation, so I copied a published applet to copy my android photos to a back up folder in Dropbox.

You don't need any hardware to use IFTTT
    Your phone is a piece of hardware

So for a wemo socket you can copy an applet
    SMS to WeMo

It looks for certain words in the texts you send and switch on the socket, that works I've tried it.

Theres apple equivalents to all of the triggers too.

Before you buy home automation kit pop it into the search bar for IFTTT to see what channels it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Patww79 wrote: »

As a matter of interest how did you get it? I'm more interested in this than Alexa.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    Do it!!

I did!

Actually great story. The Best Buy didn't have it in stock! However coincidentally I was given a tour of the Google office in New York * on Monday and when I told my Goggler friend, she gave me her Google Home that arrived just that morning! :)

* Very cool, geek heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Any word on when GH might be launched in Ireland ? Im guessing they would do all EU and not just UK. I know there is usually a Google conference (I/O) around Easter time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great to see a uk launch! Not sure if I'll buy one - I'll see.

I really wish Google would come up with their own version of "Alexa". Having to say "OK Google" is clunky - as is "Hey Cornana" - they really need to just pick a name - Alexa is more personable and friendly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zascar wrote: »
    Great to see a uk launch! Not sure if I'll buy one - I'll see.

I really wish Google would come up with their own version of "Alexa". Having to say "OK Google" is clunky - as is "Hey Cornana" - they really need to just pick a name - Alexa is more personable and friendly.

Hey Google is the other option, and I find it easier to say then OK Google.

Cortana is Microsofts AI. But I agree with you that it would be better if Google added different and more personable options.

BTW Alexa is 3 Syllables and so is "Hey Google" (OK Google is 4), in practice having both side by side in the same room I find no difference in difficulty in saying either. I guess because they are both 3 syllables. Actually I slightly prefer Hey Google, though I most try Computer :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

True Hey Google is much better. I'd be interested to see how good the Google one is. I belevie its much better at random questions becasue of the knowledge graph. I hear you cant set reminders or calendar appointments which is annoying. I have Alexa set up to add tasks to my google tasks and shopping list via ifttt and zapier but its a long workaround.

• Advertisement

I completely disagree, the assistant is awesome and I continue to use it every day.

Better start saving so. Just bought a tado smart radiator valve starter kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Not so. Like BK, I use my Google Home Assistant every single day and find it really useful. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Yeah, ours has become an integral part of the home, from shopping lists to reminding me if I have to bring anything special to work, via Keep, to controlling the lights in the house via Hue, weather reports, radio, casting Netflix and Spotify to the TV through Chromecast, etc.

It IS good, I just want it to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

It does this.

- Netflix worked for me on Nvidia Shield TV (though I'm not subscribed to Netflix anymore, youtube still works).
    - You can do reminders using Todoist
    - It does remember the last question. For instance you can ask:
    1) Who is the president of the US?
    And then ask:
    2) How tall is he?

Note I didn't specify the name, Google knew based on the previous question. With Alexa you have the specify the name on the second question.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

The more I see about other people's ones the more I think that I've just got a dud one. I have to say the hotword before everything and even when I do, it can't remember any context at all. I also sat for over an hour trying to get it to play Netflix on my shield and not a chance. Photos was all that worked, YouTube never did either. That's when I muted the listening and just started using it as a cast speaker.

Mine has definitely gone backwards in recent weeks. I think my Hue lights are causing issues. I'm getting a lot more I don't understand responses now.

• Advertisement

You do have to say the hotword each time, however it does understand the context of the last question.

There have been some firmware updates that activated some of these features, Youtube didn't initially work, but after firmware updates to both GHome and Nvidia, it works now. Maybe you are still on old firmwares.

Advertisement