Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home announced

Options
  • 04-10-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Just got an email from Google offering the Google Home device (Google version of Amazon Echo) for preorder at $129. USA only.

"Google Home can play music, answer questions, help manage your tasks, and even control devices around the house like your Nest Learning Thermostat. Pre‑order Google Home now and you’ll get 6 months of YouTube Red free.* So when you play music on Google Home, you’ll get more songs, more versions and no ads."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I presume this would work perfectly here if bought in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

I presume this would work perfectly here if bought in the US?

Going by experience with the Amazon Echo, it will likely work here but there could be difficulty with location-based features like weather and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Arbie wrote: »
    Going by experience with the Amazon Echo, it will likely work here but there could be difficulty with location-based features like weather and time.

Thanks for the reply.

I might just hold off for 6 months to see if it's released here. Have been playing around with the Google Allo app. Google Assistant is pretty cool tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd imagine you'd be able to buy them off ebay etc. I just hope they work OK here. Anyone know if there are limitations? I was looking at getting an Amazon Echo but I'm so invested in Google that it makes much more sense to get a Home. I'll be getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zascar wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'd be able to buy them off ebay etc. I just hope they work OK here. Anyone know if there are limitations? I was looking at getting an Amazon Echo but I'm so invested in Google that it makes much more sense to get a Home. I'll be getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one at a reasonable price.

No one has a clue, they haven't even been launched yet in the US! And there hasn't been a single review of them yet.

It is likely going to take a year or two before they make their way officially to Ireland. Also there is no guarantee that if you get one from the US, that it will work in Ireland.

We just have to wait and see. In the meantime I'm loving my Echo and I can't really think of anything that it can't do that Google Home would do!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

I also use zero Amazon services too, yet the Echo is still excellent.

I use Spotify for music and tunein for radio. I also use it with Philips Hue lights, Logitech Harmony for TV and soon Netatmo for thermostat.

Echo can also add events to your Google calendar and read events from your Google Calendar.

The point is you don't need to be using any Amazon services with it. I really don't see much else Google Home can do that the Echo can't

I suppose if you are signed up for Google Music, but IMO Spotify is still superior and less locked into any ecosystem, in the same way Netflix is.

Personally I prefer to go with independent services that work with all ecosystems, then locking myself into any specific one.

Having said all that, I ook forward to hearing how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

The Echo currently doesn't allow you to make/take calls from a connected mobile. It's reasonable to expect Google Home may have that feature. Having some phone notifications spoken through Home would also be handy. Complete speculation on my part.

Arbie wrote: »
    The Echo currently doesn't allow you to make/take calls from a connected mobile. It's reasonable to expect Google Home may have that feature. Having some phone notifications spoken through Home would also be handy. Complete speculation on my part.

Actually it doesn't currently support that. Confirmed by Google Developer in this demo video here, see at 7:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28aUnKSJ_P8

Having watched this video, it is nice, but my Amazon Echo can already do about 80% of that. The only thing it is really missing is the casting to chromecast. However I would fully expect Amazon to add that to their FireTV's and maybe even chromecast support.

The one thing neither of these devices handle well is being able to identify multiple users. Ideally you would like it to recognise the voice and then switch profiles, so for instance for my OH, it would use here playlists and her todo lists and calendars.

It is the one major missing feature for a device that sits in your home and is shared by everyone IMO.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

bk wrote: »
    In the meantime I'm loving my Echo and I can't really think of anything that it can't do that Google Home would do!
    It's the integration to Google Now on my phone that I'm looking for. Mainly I use Google Voice for "Note to Self" which adds a task into my Google tasks - which I use extensively. What I would like is the ability to specify which list it goes into (e.g Shopping, To Do, Ideas etc). Then also I regularly use "Remind me to call Mum at 9pm" - and the reminder pops up on my phone. Echo has reminders but only if I'm in the house obviously which is why the Google now integration would be better. I'm sure it can be done via www.ifttt.com but there is no support for this in the UK yet.

Playing videos on my Chromecast would be great, Google home does it effortlessly. I believe there is a current workaround but its very complex, and I'm told its unlikely Amazon will allow Chromecast integration due to competition.

I bet these things are going to accelerate very quickly as Google and Amazon seem to be betting big on becoming central to your home life.

You are WAY over reading the Amazon Echo thread. The Echo is extremely easy to get working. 15 minutes after taking it out of the box, I had 90% of it's functionality working. That includes Spotify, Philips Hue, Logitech Harmony, etc. working.

Literally one of the easiest to set up pieces of advanced technology I've ever had!

It is the other 10% that people are talking about, but that is extremely minor, by comparison.

Location stuff is working for me, but then I live in Dublin where these are mostly working. When asking for weather I do have to say "in Dublin" but that is hardly the end of the world! Commuting time works fine. TuneIn Radio voice commands are really the only thing not really working. Not the end of the world, I just use the app to start the radio station I want and then control the rest with voice.

Really these things are SO minor they really aren't worth talking about.

I also don't think Amazon thinks Echo is a hobby! They are currently hiring 1,000 extra people for their Alexa department!
    It's the integration to Google Now on my phone that I'm looking for. Mainly I use Google Voice for "Note to Self" which adds a task into my Google tasks - which I use extensively. What I would like is the ability to specify which list it goes into (e.g Shopping, To Do, Ideas etc). Then also I regularly use "Remind me to call Mum at 9pm" - and the reminder pops up on my phone. Echo has reminders but only if I'm in the house obviously which is why the Google now integration would be better. I'm sure it can be done via www.ifttt.com but there is no support for this in the UK yet.

Fair enough, that is nice, Echo already sort of does these things, but it certainly could be improved.
    Playing videos on my Chromecast would be great, Google home does it effortlessly. I believe there is a current workaround but its very complex, and I'm told its unlikely Amazon will allow Chromecast integration due to competition.

Maybe not, but I expect they will add equivalent feature to FireTv, it is a no brainer.
    I bet these things are going to accelerate very quickly as Google and Amazon seem to be betting big on becoming central to your home life.

I agree and then their will be the Apple one too *. Great to see competition, it will really help accelerate things

* Microsoft completely missing another consumer market despite having heavily invested in AI!

One thing for folks thinking of Echo/Dot versus Google Home.

Google Home doesn't have any support of Bluetooth or 3.5mm audio out.

This means you can't connect your phone/tablet to it using Bluetooth to play music.

And because of the lack of Bluetooth and 3.5mm audio out, you can't connect it to an existing higher quality speakers (e.g. surround sound speakers, Sonos, AudioEngine, hifi, etc.). Google basically has no equivalent of the Dot yet. This could be a major missed feature for many people. You are basically limited to using the Google Homes speaker! *

* They might be able to work around this by casting the audio to Chromecast Audio devices, but that is pretty sucky IMO. No confirmation that will work yet and involves extra cost and maybe not very reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've this preordered in the states, it'll be November though according to my friend who ordered it.

Reviews are out for this today (it goes on sale tomorrow). Over all the reviews like it but aren't blown away, on the whole it seems to be about the same as Amazon Echo.

- It is slightly better at answering questions then Echo, but only very slightly.
    - On the other hand it supports far less smart home devices and "skills"
    - Sound quality isn't quiet as good as the Amazon Echo, but you have the option to use it with any speaker using Google Chromecast Audio.
    - Surprisingly it doesn't work well with a bunch of Google services, some of which are currently better handled by Echo!
    - People seem to prefer the look of it versus Echo.
    - No cheap option like the dot.
    - It can do multiple audio similar to sonos.

So far it seems like it is still early days for it. Nothing so far would make a Amazon Echo owner feel like they would have to switch. Having said all that, I'm in the US at the moment and there is a Best Buy right across the road, so I might be weak and pick one up to try tomorrow!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    So far it seems like it is still early days for it. Nothing so far would make a Amazon Echo owner feel like they would have to switch. Having said all that, I'm in the US at the moment and there is a Best Buy right across the road, so I might be weak and pick one up to try tomorrow!

Do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nest, Hue, Smartthings and IFTTT out of the box. Be interested to know how you get on with Home in Ireland and whether it works well or not.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

I'm a play music user so I'm looking forward to that. YouTube will be great too.

Yes it has tunein too and hue lights.

Patww79 wrote:

Yes you can , there's a number of options. Hopefully the home automation forum will be up and running soon and we can pop them up.
    But there must be 5 or 6 solid options now
    Nest
    Lightwaverf
    Hive
    Heatmeister
    X10

TBH voice control can be annoying sometimes, I was threatened by herself with a knife last night so not speak to "bloody Alexa" again. TBH home automation on the phone for heating lights etc is fine, or lights on sensors but voice for music would work.

If I didn't own the house I wouldn't get the heating added TBH

The Ring video intercom is a nice addition designed for taking with you when you move
    Has IFTTT support

Patww79 wrote:

Yeah it's handy for me as I've lightwaverf and it would be good if you had Philips hue, Google home will add lots of functionality.

I'll sell which ever units I don't use but I think with Spotify the dot could live with Google home even to bring your home amp up a notch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

^^^^^^
    Do it now and report straight back here ;)

• Advertisement

Advertisement