Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Chuchote wrote: »
    Not every tool talks about shooting people.

I'm glad that you reported the hate speech then. It protects us all.

I'm glad that you reported the hate speech then. It protects us all.

Very clever.

But hate speech is serious. It is infectious; it leads to violence, and to more violence, with people who hate sharing their justifications with others.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-greenblatt/when-hateful-speech-leads_b_8022966.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

We all know that hate speech can cause a minority to act dangerously but there is no point in saying that you hope someone reported it if you are unwilling to do it yourself.

I'd just more put it down to the guy being an idiot rather than hate speech though. Possibly just saying it for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Moflojo wrote: »

I wish they would have said who is actually calling for it in the headline, it is not "cyclists", it is "The Dublin Cycling Campaign", other press releases said "cycling campaigners". They are not necessarily even cyclists!

I doubt they would say "motorists call on government to lower speed limit" or "motorists call on government to lower alcohol limit"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or if it was the AA calling for minimum alcohol pricing: 'alcoholics call for minimum alcohol pricing'.

or if it was the AA calling for minimum alcohol pricing: 'alcoholics call for minimum alcohol pricing'.

I spent far too long trying to figure out what the Automobile Association has to do with alcohol pricing.

don cockburn has died - the reason i mention it is this little oddity in his wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cockburn

This was a post from 2011 in the retro forum
    There used to be an old add on RTE for either RTE itself or for Cycling to work and it featured Don Coburn (Cockburn Whatever your choice) swinging through a few corners on his bike. I wonder is it still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

No. Hate speech should be reported as hate speech.

Ignoring it didn't work in Spain in the 1930s, in Germany in the 1930s, in Rwanda in the 1990s, etc, etc.
    The problem with rights like free speech, is that sometimes they can be exercised in ways you disagree with. Hate speech was not the problem in any of those events mentioned; the lack of free speech was the problem, combined with the threat and reality of violence. Banning hate speech is simply banning free speech; it's a negative for society both short and long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,699 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rubadub wrote: »
    it is "The Dublin Cycling Campaign", other press releases said "cycling campaigners". They are not necessarily even cyclists!
    Oh yes they are.

Oh yes they are.
    You are saying I am 100% wrong? you really thing they are all necessarily cyclists, or are you saying they are all cyclists, -not the same thing. Just like people campaigning for equal pay for women are not necessarily women, or campaigning for race related rights might not be that race, or campaigns for wheelchair access in dublin, ramps etc.

I accept that most likely do cycle, but you seem to be missing my point, and possibly why I object to the headline.

There "about" page does not infer they are all cyclists or being some rule for joining.

http://www.dublincycling.ie/cycling/who-are-dublin-cycling-campaign

The problem with rights like free speech, is that sometimes they can be exercised in ways you disagree with. Hate speech was not the problem in any of those events mentioned; the lack of free speech was the problem, combined with the threat and reality of violence. Banning hate speech is simply banning free speech; it's a negative for society both short and long term.

Respectfully, you're absolutely wrong. Hate speech is always a precursor to violence; it was so in the 1930s in Europe, and in the 1990s in Rwanda.

A famous example:

http://www.rwandanstories.org/genocide/hate_radio.html

rubadub wrote: »
    You are saying I am 100% wrong? you really thing they are all necessarily cyclists, or are you saying they are all cyclists, -not the same thing.
    They're all cyclists. Come along to a meeting and look around you. They're all cyclists.

They're all cyclists. Come along to a meeting and look around you. They're all cyclists.

now I am certain you are missing my point... thanks for clearing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Respectfully, you're absolutely wrong. Hate speech is always a precursor to violence; it was so in the 1930s in Europe, and in the 1990s in Rwanda.

A famous example:

http://www.rwandanstories.org/genocide/hate_radio.html
    Respectfully, I'm not. Correlation does not imply causation.

There is also a difference in law between incitement to commit violence and hate speech, the latter being far more ambiguous and biased towards one's own beliefs. All speech is hate speech to somebody else at the end of the day. Hate speech is simply speech you, I or anybody else hates. A nothing term.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They are not all cyclists. All of them maybe cyclists but they are not all cyclists. The point is more obvious when talking face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Oh yes they are.

So you say you have been to one of their meetings? If so you sound perfectly placed to give us your detailed breakdown of all cyclists lives and how they get around from place to place.

Ive never been to one of their meetings but I am a cyclist, I am also a motorbiker, a motorist and Im a pedestrian too. When I drink Im a bus user and if I feel rich when drunk Im a taxi user as well. In summers Im a sailor too.

Have you ever considered that many people cycle but also use other modes of transport depending on what is most convenient? Or are you one of the "they dont pay road tax Joe, its a disgrace" brigade ? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been to three of the monthly meetings. got the bus to each one.

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/obike-mobike-ofo-urbo-why-are-so-many-new-cycle-hire-services-launching-in-london-090517
    oBike, Mobike, Ofo, Urbo: why are so many new cycle hire services launching in London?
    Brian Minkoff/Shutterstock
    oBike isn’t the only new bike hire service in town, though. Shortly after its launch, another company – Chinese start-up Mobike – made 750 red bikes available for hire in Ealing. Now two further schemes have launched: another Chinese company called Ofo, which launched 200 yellow bikes in Hackney yesterday, and the Irish company Urbo, which has made 250 green dockless bikes available in Waltham Forest from today.
    What’s going on? Why are all these new ‘dockless’ schemes pitching up in London at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Compare the comments on this:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-36057524.html - innocent cyclist who's run over in Greece to this

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pedestrian-remains-in-serious-condition-after-car-struck-people-in-dublin-36061676.html - speeding car over turns and takes out a lot of pedestrians.

No-one bats an eyelid. Yet the article on the cyclists stops short of suggesting he should be lynched for having the audacity to cycle on the roads. We have really turned into a patethic little country. Socially immature, aggressive, self-centered.

first death following from the crash - http://www.thejournal.ie/adelaide-road-death-benjamin-renard-3584512-Sep2017/

8 paragraphs to get to the point where it says "It appears he was struck by a car.."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That seems all the sadder because of the photograph of Benjamin Renard accompanying it.

Grassey wrote: »
    8 paragraphs to get to the point where it says "It appears he was struck by a car.."

Yeah, that's quite weird.
    Gardaí said that it appeared from initial investigations that a number of pedestrians were struck by a car

This is absurd indirection. There are witnesses to what happened. We know what happened. They don't need to hedge statements. It would be wrong to speculate how it came to happen without careful investigation, but it's beyond any doubt that a number of pedestrians were struck by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

Very sad case, but I wouldn't read too much into that aspect. They are just reporting what the Gardai said and they have their own formal way of describing things, that is as much to do with not prejudicing possible court cases. If they are still looking for witnesses it sounds like the investigation is still very active.

This is akin to saying "a plane appears to have crashed into the ground" because you're still investigating an air disaster.

i've been to three of the monthly meetings. got the bus to each one.
    I usually get the Luas to the meetings myself, as I don't like parking the bike in the city. I'm a cyclist, and you're a cyclist.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    They are not all cyclists. All of them maybe cyclists but they are not all cyclists. The point is more obvious when talking face to face.

Really, yes, they are.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    So you say you have been to one of their meetings? If so you sound perfectly placed to give us your detailed breakdown of all cyclists lives and how they get around from place to place.

Ive never been to one of their meetings but I am a cyclist, I am also a motorbiker, a motorist and Im a pedestrian too. When I drink Im a bus user and if I feel rich when drunk Im a taxi user as well. In summers Im a sailor too.

Have you ever considered that many people cycle but also use other modes of transport depending on what is most convenient? Or are you one of the "they dont pay road tax Joe, its a disgrace" brigade ? :rolleyes:

I don't do the sailing and very little motorbiking, but I match you on all the others. And I'm a cyclist.

I'm not exclusively a cyclist. I have an open relationship with my bike, and she doesn't get upset if I take the Luas or take the car. I'd guess it's the same for the DCC members. They're all cyclists, and they all use other modes of transport too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How many posts is this going to go on for before these wires are uncrossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This is akin to saying "a plane appears to have crashed into the ground" because you're still investigating an air disaster.
    I'm just saying from the point of view of the Gardai, when they come across the scene of an RTA, they are usually more cautious about saying what happened, because criminal charges might result from it. Reading between the lines, I'd actually take from that, the opposite meaning from what's being implied here.

How many posts is this going to go on for before these wires are uncrossed.

#NotAllCyclists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Moflojo wrote: »
    #NotAllCyclists

#CyclistUp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement