Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Fian wrote: »
    I have lost weight since i took up cycling, but I remain overweight. Just no longer (mildly) obese.

It is easy to forget how daunting a cycle commute can sound to someone who is not in the habit of getting on a bike.

I lost weight too... well I lost belly and gained muscles in the legs but I agree, the first couple of weeks can be a bit tough but at some point you can do it without much effort. At that point it helps if you tell yourself there is no easy, just faster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Perhaps, but Grassey has a point, given the all pervasive congestion issues in urban areas it was odd not to see efficiency head-lined as well. And what about economy? It's a poor look-out if the RSA can't pinpoint the major advantages of cycling for the individual and for society

I'm not much on junkets, but it would be really worth it if the RSA could send someone senior to Velo-City next month in the Netherlands (Arnheim-Nijmegen); maybe the AA would send Conor Faughnan too, and Transport for Ireland should definitely have a senior rep there.

https://www.velo-city2017.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Chuchote wrote: »
    I'm not much on junkets, but it would be really worth it if the RSA could send someone senior to Velo-City next month in the Netherlands (Arnheim-Nijmegen); maybe the AA would send Conor Faughnan too, and Transport for Ireland should definitely have a senior rep there.

https://www.velo-city2017.com/

They would need to send someone that actually cares about improving things for cyclists and not just placating them and appearing reasonable. I'm sure the RSA could find some of the former, although they certainly have plenty of the latter. I doubt the AA could, or would want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

HivemindXX wrote: »
    They would need to send someone that actually cares about improving things for cyclists and not just placating them and appearing reasonable. I'm sure the RSA could find some of the former, although they certainly have plenty of the latter. I doubt the AA could, or would want to.

Humans are influenced by truth, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I'm not so sure a lot of the time... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Maybe influenced by what they would like to believe is the truth. Anything outside of that tends to get ignored by too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

rubadub wrote: »
    The other poster sounded like he looks behind but then does nothing different.
    What exactly do you expect the other chap/lassie on the bike to do? They've spotted something in their lane. All they can do is manoeuvre around it. :confused:

They're in front of you in the lane. They have priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/garda-post-photo-of-car-blocking-footpath-but-webusers-spot-some-other-suspect-parking-35735099.html#comments

Love the comments. According to some bright sparks it's legal to park in a cycle lane (there's also a double yellow line). But hey let's deflect from the ignoramus who's blocking the path and turn this into an anti cycling rant.

Dublin motorist logic is confusing.

Edit - it's is a part time cycling lane to be fair.

Not really journalism, but it would make a nice future article for something in the future. Also a great rebuttal for the folks who get suddenly overwhelmed with concern for disabled people whenever the topic of cycling infrastructure is brought up.

DAV_zOJW0AE8rPs.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Not really journalism, but it would make a nice future article for something in the future. Also a great rebuttal for the folks who get suddenly overwhelmed with concern for disabled people whenever the topic of cycling infrastructure is brought up.

Very interesting and important story that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

DAV_zOJW0AE8rPs.jpg:large

Bit like the concern for the salaries of junior doctors when public transport drivers go on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There ya go, Paul Williams makes an open threat to cyclists:

1zd9g5x.jpg

Paul Williams was mentioned in this thread, I think.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/866597533069529091

EDIT: Already posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The DailyComic are really grasping at straws here in the anti-cycling crusade, almost as bad as there anti-Corbin campaign!

Paramedics-warn-cycle-lanes-putting-lives-risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Williams is just trying to outdo Hook. Since his 'sources' in the gardai were cut he's trying to carve out a niche for himself as some sort of shock jock.

In what could be called other cycling news, UPS are using a container in Dublin city from which deliveries will be made around the city to cut back on larger motorised transport.

But on the subject of eejits in the public trying to remain relevant, Mannix Flynn had this piece of genius to say about it
    said Mannix Flynn, adding that residents around Wolfe Tone park would be disappointed with the increase of bike traffic

FFS, but they had no problem with the large amount of coaches that use the area as a coach park?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/container-to-be-placed-in-dublin-city-to-cut-down-on-delivery-vans-1.3087589

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Re: Paul Williams - Could it be considered assault, under Irish statute?

Non-Fatal Offences Against The Person Act 1997:
    2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

(a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

(2) In subsection (1) (a), “force” includes—

(a) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and

(b) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.

(3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

On the Broadcast Authority of Ireland website under 'what can I complain about'

Harm & undue offence, including law and order as well as privacy. Every broadcaster must ensure that it does not broadcast anything which may reasonably be regarded as likely to cause harm or undue offence or unreasonably encroach on the privacy of an individual or raise issues of a law and order nature.

Do William's comments come under that? I'm going to submit a complaint anyway. Sick to death of this, someone in a car is going to feel vindicated in their attitude to hate cyclists and more will be killed.

That's much better than my Broadcast Authority complaint! Presume someone needs to report it Gardai first?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That's much better than my Broadcast Authority complaint! Presume someone needs to report it Gardai first?

TBH - you'll be told to run and jump by AGS.

He couched his "threat" in enough conditions (i.e. only towards someone who first grabs/hits his car) that it can't be taken as a threat against the wider populace.

From listening to the piece this morning, it was more telling that their "survey" on cyclist behaviour was at the corner of George's St/Dame St - clearly an attempt to get the worst possible behaviour to back up their agenda.

• Advertisement

Why would someone grab a car mirror? :confused: Is this something that happens often?

Why would someone grab a car mirror? :confused: Is this something that happens often?
    The only case I can think of was the one in Toronto involving the politician Michael Bryant. Not a typical scenario (and think it was more grabbing the side of the car than the mirror).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If a car appears to be coming too close, I will often push out my arm to signal to it to move out at it approaches. If it actually comes too close, I will sometimes try to knock on a window to signal to the driver to move out. In either scenario, it's not unusual for the mirror to hit my hand.

If the mirror hits a cyclist, or the cyclist can reach the mirror, the overtake is way too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Nope, the crucial word in this context is "immediately". The purpose of that subsection (b) is to cover someone swinging a punch or "getting in someones face" not to cover making a verbal threat over the airwaves.

Not an assault, but it is disturbing and pretty appalling frankly. I used to listen to Yates & O'Donaghue, have stopped listening to newstalk in the mornings.

Who cares what Paul Williams thinks or says. Even the various criminal gangs can't be bothered to shoot him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Who cares what Paul Williams thinks or says. Every the various criminal gangs can't be bothered to shoot him.

I actually think he is beneficial because he is such an insufferable person to listen to. The gangs don't shoot him because he doesn't report about the high end stuff which takes away from them.

Look at their listenership numbers since he started, if people associate annoyance with him it may make many realise that we are not enemies but just road users with an equally fair annoyance of him.

Who cares what Paul Williams thinks or says. Every the various criminal gangs can't be bothered to shoot him.

Drivers who already hate cyclists will feel vindicated in their opinions and might do something even more dangerous than usual because yer man on the radio said its okay to hurt them. What he said is extremely dangerous and if not officially, then certainly borders on incitement to hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

tomasrojo wrote: »

Was disappointed Shane Coleman, as a cyclist let him away with that comment.
    Their two guests didn't help much, first guy was using it as an advert for his cycling safety courses and made out that most cyclists needed training because there was no cyclist license.
    The Doctor they had on claimed cyclists underestimated the risks they were taking.
    Neither made any cause for safer driving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thud wrote: »
    Was disappointed Shane Coleman, as a cyclist let him away with that comment.
    Their two guests didn't help much, first guy was using it as an advert for his cycling safety courses and made out that most cyclists needed training because there was no cyclist license.
    The Doctor they had on claimed cyclists underestimated the risks they were taking.
    Neither made any cause for safer driving.

Who was the Doctor that they had on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

RobFowl wrote: »
    Who was the Doctor that they had on?

Williams managed to get both names wrong
    Consultant Fergal Healey/Hickey from Sligo
    and James/Jason Morrissey from Cycle Safety Ireland
    http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Newstalk_Breakfast/Highlights_from_Newstalk_Breakfast/192883/How_can_we_keep_cyclists_safe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement