Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just turned off the radio because ryan tubridy* was complaining about people walking in the road; he made a passing reference to the gardai's comments on speeding motorists, but his main focus was pedestrians walking on the road.

Motorists driving at ‘extreme speeds’ on less-busy roads during Covid-19 crisis
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/motorists-driving-at-extreme-speeds-on-less-busy-roads-during-covid-19-crisis-1.4241203

*i usually turn off the radio when he comes on anyway, was just slow off the mark this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,396 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ciaran Cuffe MEP
    Pat Kenny castigating two wheelers:
    blaming cyclists for spreading a wide plume of germs behind them
    contra-flow issues
    cyclists have no bell to warn pedestrians "the way a cat approaches a bird, its prey to warn" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat Kenny is just really obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

i just turned off the radio because ryan tubridy* was complaining about people walking in the road; he made a passing reference to the gardai's comments on speeding motorists, but his main focus was pedestrians walking on the road.

I'm a pedestrian meself, but when I compare the woman I saw pushing a buggy with one hand while looking at her phone on the other, walking around the blindside corner of a right turn on a country road, to the drivers going 70-100kph in a 60kph zone, I know which ones are going to cause the most damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,396 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pat Kenny comments:
    Two adult cyclists going the wrong way down a one way street, Kenny points out the error, they say "we know"..
    Prof John Crown will be on Friday about covid plumes from smokers/cyclists/humans

• Advertisement

Twice in the last week I’ve nearly got hit by passing cars, so close I could feel the whoosh.
    I’m a regular walker, cyclist and driver so I’m always aware of space. I go right into the ditch or step onto any verge I can find when cars are coming.

Regardless, at the weekend one very elderly driver just didn’t see me and came unbelievable close, if I had wobbled I would have been hit.

The other was a driver yesterday of a SUV. He almost hit me as he drove towards me on a quiet back road .......he had been on his phone . I got such a fright. The driver of a van coming behind me stopped and asked was I ok ? He said he was sure I was going to be hit .
    The driver on his phone drove on oblivious .................

These 2KM restrictions are putting a lot in danger on roads we would never normally be walking on!!

Edit: (Oops this is possibly on the wrong thread, I thought it was the Pat Kenny thread !)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

zell12 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny comments:
    Two adults cyclists going the wrong way down a one way street, Kenny points out the error, they say "we know"..
    why do you do this to yourself?

I switched it off just in time the first I heard cycling mentioned. I was in good form messing about with the kids here before starting some work so wasn't having my mood spoiled by that fool.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

These 2KM restrictions are putting a lot in danger on roads we would never normally be walking on!!
    You seem to be victim blaming here.
    The 2km restrictions on exercising have absolutely nothing to do with some drivers speeding and driving dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Motorists driving at ‘extreme speeds’ on less-busy roads during Covid-19 crisis
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/motorists-driving-at-extreme-speeds-on-less-busy-roads-during-covid-19-crisis-1.4241203

*i usually turn off the radio when he comes on anyway, was just slow off the mark this time.

I could have written this exact post. He went on about pedestrians stupidly walking on the road when theres a footpath, has anyone ever seen this.

Also turned him off. As I normally do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

snailsong wrote: »
    I could have written this exact post. He went on about pedestrians stupidly walking on the road when theres a footpath, has anyone ever seen this.

Did anyone hear whether they got any calls/texts to explain to Tubs the concept of pedestrians’ social distancing whilst walking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And this is sadly becoming increasingly noticeable on the roads. Drivers speeding, I got overtaken this morning by someone tipping not far off 120kmph on the N11 near Foxrock. They used the bus lane to skip the 3 cars at the lights who stopped. I constanty see red light runnign by cars, well after they have turned red, phone use is worse than it was, drink driving (or something else) appears worse with the number of cars who can't drive straight increasing (it could just be phone use).

This at a time when we all should be expectng more VRUs everywhere, this isn't the majority but it is a large enough contingent. The beeping of runners on the road, or cyclists is perplexing, at a time when if they added 5 minutes per overtake onto their journey, they would still be quicker than they used to be only a few months ago.

Then you have people blaming the walkers, runners and cyclists, as if somehow they are the reason they nearly got run over, not the car doing 1.5x the speed limit with a phone in their hand.

Tubs has been giving out about people exercising for a few weeks now, it is bizarre, and no one calls him up on it. Kenny, for a guy who cycles himself or at least used too, and at one time was a big advocate of balanced debate has obviously just been infected with the Newstalk virus.

Thankfully, on my commutes, with only two exceptions over the 7 weeks, everyone has been great. Great to see kids out with their families for a quick walk or cycle at 8 in the morning, hopefully people staying at home means that less are listening to Kenny and Tubs on their commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

snailsong wrote: »

I'm still having to go into the office every second week - there's an on-road cycle lane for a good part of the commute. Every evening on the way home there's walkers and joggers in the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

zell12 wrote: »

cyclists have no bell to warn pedestrians "the way a cat approaches a bird, its prey to warn"

He should write a "po-ehm" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »

Tubs has been giving out about people exercising for a few weeks now, it is bizarre, and no one calls him up on it. Kenny, for a guy who cycles himself or at least used too, and at one time was a big advocate of balanced debate has obviously just been infected with the Newstalk virus.

I remember him beginning his show with a monologue about the Storm Ophelia kite surfers. Too worked up to check that they:
    were wind surfers
    were not out in the storm (storm was hours away)
    were not in difficulty
    went back to land when asked

Again, as with others here, this exposure to his uninformed self-righteous shtick was a result of being too far away from the radio when his show started.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Should close all cycling lanes that are next to the footpath where the footpath is not 2m wide.

Griffeen Avenue in Lucan is a disaster, the cycle lane and path together aren't 2m!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Very Interesting - should be implemented elsewhere

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52483684

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Other Countries: "Hey, cycling can play a vital role in keeping pollution down after the lockdown, and we can save billions in health spending from people not getting sick. Let's do something now to encourage people to cycle instead of driving everywhere"

Ireland : [shaking fist] "Dem cyclists be spreadin' COVID19 in dere plumes Joe!"

For an supposedly intelligent race of people, I really despair of how primitive and backward thinking the collective mindset of Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Should close all cycling lanes that are next to the footpath where the footpath is not 2m wide.

Griffeen Avenue in Lucan is a disaster, the cycle lane and path together aren't 2m!!!

My sister was accosted on this bike lane the other day. She was using it to jog and some walker walking two abreast didn't take nicely to it. I think the good will of people is crumbling away and people are becoming a little obsessed with social distancing.

• Advertisement

Given the positive test of a GAA player in the news stickybottle had a piece on the numbers tested in sports here http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/more-dope-tests-carried-out-in-irish-cycling-than-gaa-and-soccer-combined/

Cycling in Dublin increased significantly last year to new record levels
    The number of cycling journeys being made in Dublin last year increased by over 7 per cent according to the first data for 2019 published by Dublin City Council.

Latest numbers show cycling trips up by 7.3 per cent on the previous year based on the count of cyclists, pedestrians and those driving all kinds of vehicles past counter locations on the canals.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-in-dublin-increased-significantly-last-year-to-new-record-levels/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Pat Kenny cycling segment link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mal1 wrote: »
    My sister was accosted on this bike lane the other day. She was using it to jog and some walker walking two abreast didn't take nicely to it. I think the good will of people is crumbling away and people are becoming a little obsessed with social distancing.

Some people are very rude, its not that hard to fall into a single line.
    I have exchange words with some walkers when out for a run.

Someone said Government should be pushing cycling now, they are 100% correct. Cycling is an alternative to using the bus help get people fitter.
    I don't cycle to work but maybe in a months time when I need to be in the office for one day I will.

Its going to be a cycling holiday in Ireland I say. Waterford greenway and Atlantic way is the plan now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Given the positive test of a GAA player in the news stickybottle had a piece on the numbers tested in sports here http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/more-dope-tests-carried-out-in-irish-cycling-than-gaa-and-soccer-combined/

It's symptomatic (sorry) of the strange times we're in that I initially read that as being a positive test for covid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

On driving and speeding. Where the fcuk is everyone speeding off to? Late fir the cinema? Last orders?? Jesus, the odd time I go out for a drive I want to pass a bit of time for myself, I've never driven more slowly, and I'm certainly not in any hurry or under any pressure to be wherever it is I'm going at any time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

It's symptomatic (sorry) of the strange times we're in that I initially read that as being a positive test for covid

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

dinneenp wrote: »

Thanks, but I'd prefer to hammer sharp slivers of wood under my toe nails and set them alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

dinneenp wrote: »

Thanks, but I'd prefer to hammer sharp slivers of wood under my toe nails and set them alight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-eyes-pedestrianisation-plan-to-revive-city-centre-when-covid-19-restrictions-are-lifted-996822.html

Cork has very few bike lanes as is. As per usual in Cork, cars are still given priority, even going as far as de-pedestrianising streets.

Cllr Cahill simply had to add the following:

One-way systems are likely on footpaths and sections of bike lanes may be sacrificed.

Restarting the city’’s economy will require "compromise and tolerance", the chair of the city council’’s strategic policy committee on transport and mobility, Cllr Des Cahill, said. He issued a direct appeal to cycling campaigners to consider the greater good.

"We are all in this together. We can’’t put one lobby group’’s interests above others," he said. "Footpath space will be reduced, road space will be reduced, and cycling space will be reduced. The cycling community will have to accept that it’’s for the greater good. But it will be a temporary measure."

:rolleyes: These "lobby" groups are volunteer campaign groups and obviously annoy the folks in City Hall with their 'awful' demands to make Cork safer for cyclists and pedestrians! How dare they!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement