Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ferris wrote: »
    Non cycling related but ‘judge’ Nolan is having one of his weeks

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-who-drove-through-red-light-causing-fatal-collision-avoids-jail-1.4121923?mode=amp

I knew it was him from the headline.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

eeeee wrote: »
    That's absolutely horrendous.
    Is there no process by which a judge can get struck off?
    I'm speechless at his judgement.
    there is, he can be impeached. Number of petitions throughout the years calling for it. Doubt any government has the balls to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

axer wrote: »
    there is, he can be impeached. Number of petitions throughout the years calling for it. Doubt any government has the balls to do it.

Can we as a public get it going? Gather signatures and bring them to a politician? Or do we have to wait for the government to do it?
    He's disgraceful and dangerous.

When do judges retire? At a certain age like a civil servant or can they continue indefinitely?

Do they have to do medicals every year to be passed fit to practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Can we as a public get it going? Gather signatures and bring them to a politician? Or do we have to wait for the government to do it?

When do judges retire? At a certain age like a civil servant or can they continue indefinitely?

Do they have to do medicals every year to be passed fit to practice?

Judges retire at age 70 years.
    No annual medicals.
    I don't know what age Nolan is, but he joined An Garda Siochana in 1979.
    Minimum age to join AGS is 18 years, so that would mean Nolan is at least 58.

Edit.
    When Nolan joined AGS, the maximum joining age was either 25 or 26, so he is at most 66 years old.
    We have a few more years, of his unique take on justice, to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

yeah, it sounds like she needed a doctor's cert to be able to drive. she won't get one now; but i'd question the custodial sentence anyway. what sort of custodial sentence can they impose on a woman in her 60s with MS?

There are very few places to hold females in the Irish Prison Service, before you add in suffering from MS and over 60. That just adds layers of complexity. I would say she will be released under licence in no time.

I am torn on the sentence. She should not have been driving, and caused the death of a person by doing so, but is a prison sentence correct? She is unlikely to be a threat to society. When you learn of others that should be deprived of their liberty and are not, it makes you wonder if it is. I guess the law said she had to go to prison for cauisg the death of someone Its a sad case all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/boy-cycling-school-dublin-ireland-parking/

Motorists breaking Red lights, Dublin Bus driver close passing, and cycle lanes being used as parking bays... Who'd cycle in Dublin... Or Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/boy-cycling-school-dublin-ireland-parking/

Motorists breaking Red lights, Dublin Bus driver close passing, and cycle lanes being used as parking bays... Who'd cycle in Dublin... Or Ireland...

I suppose it's a bit like democracy in Churchill's formulation: the worst option, apart from all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Horrendous stuff.......people say I am bad parent letting my kids cycle supervised, well there is the proof!! How the hell do we do it, time to start filming these issues and give out INSANE fines and impound cars. He that's gonna happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

There already one going, with getting on for 20,000 signatures. Don't think anyone will pay any attention to it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

p15574 wrote: »
    There already one going, with getting on for 20,000 signatures. Don't think anyone will pay any attention to it though.

Signed. He was the judge down home for ages too, setting dangerous, ill informed and out of touch precedents and judgements.
    He needs to go.
    Yesterday.

• Advertisement

From the comments on your man's video:

https://twitter.com/edwardlamb/status/1117902732801667072

Scary stuff and I reckon videos like this, done from the child's perspective really do more than any TV ad campaign could do.

One quick point about the petition link: change.org and the likes are pretty much useless. There's an actual Oireachtas petition site that can be used where the people with any power are obliged to act. Much better to use them for anything Ireland-related.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Garda spent €72,000 repairing bicycles used by officers

Force says the repairs over a five-year period equate to average annual cost of €80 per bike

When you read through the article, you soon realise what a pile of crap the IT has invented out of this non-story
    The newspaper of record? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When you read through the article, you soon realise what a pile of crap the IT has invented out of this non-story
    The newspaper of record? :rolleyes:
    While the actual issue with the recent tender, of the specification written to clearly ensure that one particular provider was going to get the contract, flew totally over their heads.

Far more interesting questions would be to see;

1) How often the bikes are used
    2) How often each of the trained/equipped officers use the bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are questions to be asked there alright.

Like where do they get their repairs done so cheaply :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

While the actual issue with the recent tender, of the specification written to clearly ensure that one particular provider was going to get the contract, flew totally over their heads.

Far more interesting questions would be to see;

1) How often the bikes are used
    2) How often each of the trained/equipped officers use the bikes

Friend of mine done the training, said it was very good, hasn't been allowed near a bike since completing it though.

Did I read that correctly, they do the training then do a fitness test?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Did I read that correctly, they do the training then do a fitness test?

There is a fitness test prior to doing the training. The training is a week long course aimed mostly at limiting liability in the event of an incident.
    Barristers have attended the course to video record it for future claims.

Initially there was no training course circa 15yrs who or so. Then Gardaí started claiming for injuries and the states claims agency paid out due to no training.

RobbieMD wrote: »
    There is a fitness test prior to doing the training. The training is a week long course aimed mostly at limiting liability in the event of an incident.

Initially there was no training course circa 15yrs who or so. Then Gardaí started claiming for injuries and the states claims agency paid out due to no training.

Thanks for that, just from the way the article was worded it seemed like they did the fitness test after the training which made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Thanks for that, just from the way the article was worded it seemed like they did the fitness test after the training which made no sense.

The fitness test isn’t even very much. A basic enough 20min cycle keeping an eye on max heart rate levels. Very tame.

The 5 day course is more involved though

RobbieMD wrote: »

Very interesting nugget there about the barristers videoing the course - can't quite get the picture out of my head of the lads in the horsehair wigs and gowns behind the big cameras.

In fairness, it is very reasonable to have proper training if they're going to be riding bikes in challenging circumstances. I remember seeing video of the UK police force training that included cycling down fairly steep concrete steps - ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,839 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do I remember reading about ten years ago that the DS of one of the pro cycling teams got a circus school to show his riders how to fall properly and safely?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"Turns out it's a lot"

... except it really isn't

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-to-get-cameras-installed-in-bus-cycle-lanes-4891669-Dec2019/

Can only find a link to the journal, got this through rothar. It's already triggering a few motorists pretty hard.

Nothing affects a change in behaviour like a hit to your wallet !!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-to-get-cameras-installed-in-bus-cycle-lanes-4891669-Dec2019/

Can only find a link to the journal, got this through rothar. It's already triggering a few motorists pretty hard.

WAH WAH WAH !!! Why can't I continue to ignore rules and pretend they don't apply to me? WAH WAH WAH!!! revenue raising something something. WAH WAH WAH but cyclists....

There's an unfortunate subset of Irish motorists that are truly no more than overgrown spoiled children....

Duckjob wrote: »
    WAH WAH WAH !!! Why can't I continue to ignore rules and pretend they don't apply to me? WAH WAH WAH!!! revenue raising something something. WAH WAH WAH but cyclists....

There's an unfortunate subset of Irish motorists that are truly no more than overgrown spoiled children....

I'm loving some of the social media interactions on this topic and how posters on various forums are desperately trying to turn this into a cyclist issue.

One lady reckons it's cyclists (legally ) using the bus lane on the N4 which are the No 1 reason for her being delayed to central Dublin every morning. Of course we all know this is complete bollocks - all the bus lanes around me in west Dublin are wedged with single occupant car upon single occuoant car, adding to the mayhem and stifling and modicum of efficient use by buses. Throw in the ignoring of yellow boxes and routine cloggong of junctions adding more fuel.

Another gentleman reckons it's a revenue collection exercise and that he'd happily use buses, but he still feels entitled to use the bus lane somehow. Pointing out the fact that motorists using the bus lanes is preventing buses from using the bus lanes efficiently was lost on him.

I've really got to stop interacting with idiots like these on line. I'm blaming the few glasses of festive vino.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    One lady reckons it's cyclists (legally ) using the bus lane on the N4 which are the No 1 reason for her being delayed to central Dublin every morning.
    Interesting... So how would the situation improve for that lady if all the cyclists commute by car as she does :confused:.

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    Interesting... So how would the situation improve for that lady if all the cyclists commute by car as she does :confused:.

To be fair, she commutes by bus and is bemoaning cyclists in the N4 bus lane that apparently delay the bus. Of course nothing to do with the thousands of cars that clog the roads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement