Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Mc Love wrote: »
    Are they official?

Officially a great idea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Officially vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Officially a great idea. :D

Yes, and in some rare, rare places (usually a junction or two) they put some sort of flexible uprights, which the intruder into the cycle lane will at least hear. They surely have few of those in the DCC depot. Probably the pots are Official in the sense that the Official IRA was, as in not. A bit messily done and too clearly protective of cyclists, and not cognisant of the taxi driver's (apparent) right to drive and stop wherever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

axer wrote: »
    nee wrote: »
    Disagree with this, he has obviously excellent bike handling skills and his point about Dublin bikers is warranted in my experience.
    The brakes think wouldn't come into consideration for me at all. I ride, commute on and race fixed gear bikes and I feel a hell of a lot safer and I have feictonnes more control fixed than with a freewheel.
    It was an honest interview I thought, and he actually acquitted himself well.
    Couriers are professional bike riders, I can't remember the last time I heard of one being killed in action, which, when you think of the hours they spend in the busiest streets in the country speaks volumes about how they keep themselves safe. Also they can't work when injured.
    I don't have the the skills to ride like a courier, so I don't. I don't condone everything they do, some ride like absolute arseholes, but I didn't hear or see anything to pull the courier up on in that programme.
    I can say hands down courier cyclists are the most dangerous cyclists out there and the ones that give cyclists the worst name.
    In the same way that white van men give all motorists a bad name presumably?
    Disagree with this, he has obviously excellent bike handling skills and his point about Dublin bikers is warranted in my experience.
    The brakes think wouldn't come into consideration for me at all. I ride, commute on and race fixed gear bikes and I feel a hell of a lot safer and I have feictonnes more control fixed than with a freewheel.
    Couriers are professional bike riders, I can't remember the last time I heard of one being killed in action, which, when you think of the hours they spend in the busiest streets in the country speaks volumes about how they keep themselves safe. Also they can't work when injured.
    I don't have the the skills to ride like a courier, so I don't. I don't condone everything they do, some ride like absolute arseholes, but I didn't hear or see anything to pull the courier up on in that programme.
    We have no idea what the injury rate is for courier cyclists - we only hear about fatalities.
    That's not true. The RSA tracks KSI - killed and seriously injured statistics. You can be damn sure that if couriers were a serious problem, we'd be hearing all about it from the Gardai and the insurance industry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's not true. The RSA tracks KSI - killed and seriously injured statistics. You can be damn sure that if couriers were a serious problem, we'd be hearing all about it from the Gardai and the insurance industry.
    The issue with couriers, is that like WVM, some of them are just absolute d1cks. Unfortunately, if you don't know any or talk to them personally, you only remember the d1cks, and therefore everyone who is one of said sub group, whether a d1ck or not, will be perceived as a d1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

now *there's* a career killed off by increasing automation, to be sure. email has decimated the amount of work for couriers.

(yes, i know the real meaning of decimated. i'm using it in its exaggerated sense)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

now *there's* a career killed off by increasing automation, to be sure. email has decimated the amount of work for couriers.

(yes, i know the real meaning of decimated. i'm using it in its exaggerated sense)
    Cyclist courier work always relied heavily on small parcels in a rush, the sort of work a van courier could never do. They are kept on now for this and also the fact that many companies treat them as contractors and pay SFA per drop. I remember the tribunals in the noughties were a gold mine. You were getting decent coin per drop off from some legal places, if you picked up and dropped off within a few minutes.
    In the modern Dublin, there really should be a push for cargo bikes and bikes with trailers as couriers to replace vans/trucks, would help clear alot of traffic and illegal parking in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ED E wrote: »
    Officially vanished.

Yip. If only there was a way to remove cars and trucks as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

In the same way that white van men give all motorists a bad name presumably?
    Thats not an equal comparison. The problem is that the regular person see's cycling as a homogeneous group as I previously said. I cannot understand (other than their ignorance) why the producers decided to interview a cycling courier as somewhat representative of what it is like to Cycle in Dublin since that courier openly admits he does not follow the rules of the road. Hence why they give cyclists a bad name. I'm not saying it is right that people group cyclist behaviour as one - I am saying it happens. There is no justification for what that courier openly does not follow the rules of the road - his skill at controlling a bike has nothing to do with that.
    Yes, seriously injured statistics. That doesn't account for broken bones etc. Usually it takes a lot for an incident to reach the level of serious injury. I see every day the ridiculous things pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicle drivers do but yet the vast majority of those incidents don't result in an injury. That does not mean the courier cyclists are not increasing the risk of an incident happening. If that courier refuses to follow the rules of the road then he should not be allowed on it. I would like to see increased penalties for road law breaking for road users who work in industries whereby they can earn more the faster they get from A to B on the road e.g. Taxis, Couriers (motor vehicle/cyclist) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CramCycle wrote: »
    The issue with couriers, is that like WVM, some of them are just absolute d1cks. Unfortunately, if you don't know any or talk to them personally, you only remember the d1cks, and therefore everyone who is one of said sub group, whether a d1ck or not, will be perceived as a d1ck.
    I'm sure they are sound - doesn't mean that those who break the law and think it is ok to do so (not matter how safe they think they are being) are not d1cks by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cyclist courier work always relied heavily on small parcels in a rush, the sort of work a van courier could never do. They are kept on now for this and also the fact that many companies treat them as contractors and pay SFA per drop. I remember the tribunals in the noughties were a gold mine. You were getting decent coin per drop off from some legal places, if you picked up and dropped off within a few minutes.
    In the modern Dublin, there really should be a push for cargo bikes and bikes with trailers as couriers to replace vans/trucks, would help clear alot of traffic and illegal parking in the city.

What would the security be like on them, if its too mobile , thieves could just pick them up and walk off with them?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I didn't see the program so apologies if I'm off-track here, but the individuals skills in handling their bike shouldn't really dictate how they ride. No more than Lewis Hamilton should be driving at 200kmph on normal roads. And before people start on about the obvious difference in risk to life, IMO it's irrelevant to this kind of conversation. We can't legislate based on the abilities of the best. It's more of a weakest link type scenario.

Again, I haven't seen the program so making more of a general comment about accepting general behavior based on the abilities of a few. If that makes sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think couriers in Dublin are generally very good riders. But some are cocky in their ability, just a few weeks ago I saw one coming downhill from Lord Edward St past Dublin Castle pelting along way too fast at I'd say almost 40kmph. He sent a pedestrian scrambling out of his path and if the ped hadnt of ran there was no way he was able to hit the brakes to avoid a full on impact. No-one minds them riding fast but when they do it in an area known for heavy footfall all they do is piss people off. Often the speed they are riding at depends on pedestrians being aware of them and moving quicker out of the way. There will come a day when a courier has a very bad accident with a pedestrian and it'll make national news and then be used as a stick to beat all cyclists with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There's a line from something I read some time that every time you mail a pdf you're putting a courier out of business :pac:

There's a line from something I read some time that every time you mail a pdf you're putting a courier out of business :pac:

Distribution lists in Outlook must be the decimation MB hinted at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thats not an equal comparison. The problem is that the regular person see's cycling as a homogeneous group as I previously said. I cannot understand (other than their ignorance) why the producers decided to interview a cycling courier as somewhat representative of what it is like to Cycle in Dublin since that courier openly admits he does not follow the rules of the road. Hence why they give cyclists a bad name. I'm not saying it is right that people group cyclist behaviour as one - I am saying it happens.
    THe problem is people who play along with the 'bad name' thing. It's nonsense. Just laugh at it, don't suggest it has any reason behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that courier openly admits he does not follow the rules of the road. Hence why they give cyclists a bad name. I'm not saying it is right that people group cyclist behaviour as one - I am saying it happens. .
    And some people are racist and/or homophobic, it happens. I am not sure what the concern really is, I do not give a damn what some irrationally prejudiced moronic asshole thinks.

As said above, laugh at it, these people should be openly ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Letter in the Sindo
    32K1YTl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Uber’s e-bike plan for Dublin rejected on safety grounds
    Possibility of vandalism by some operators against competitors also cited by council
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/uber-s-e-bike-plan-for-dublin-rejected-on-safety-grounds-1.3803079

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cost of 2.7km Dublin cycle path jumps to €20m due to redesign
    Fairview to Amiens Street route originally expected to cost €7m
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cost-of-2-7km-dublin-cycle-path-jumps-to-20m-due-to-redesign-1.3807307

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cost of 2.7km Dublin cycle path jumps to €20m due to redesign
    Fairview to Amiens Street route originally expected to cost €7m
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cost-of-2-7km-dublin-cycle-path-jumps-to-20m-due-to-redesign-1.3807307

It's mad isn't it. Setting aside the cost escalation. we're spending €120m widening the Naas road. All that it'll do is add to traffic congestion. Yet spending money on cycle lanes and everyone loses their minds.

i guarantee you they're tacking other work onto that bill. like the claims that upgrading the cycle lane past st. anne's park was costing €5m - when IIRC, there was necessary engineering works which had to be done on the road regardless, which was the majority of that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i guarantee you they're tacking other work onto that bill. like the claims that upgrading the cycle lane past st. anne's park was costing €5m - when IIRC, there was necessary engineering works which had to be done on the road regardless, which was the majority of that bill.

yep new water main, flood defence works, complete rebuild of the roadway & new footpaths both sides as well as the cycle lane!

and even when you read the story you can see that the entire scope of the planned works has changed from the original - so its not a cost escalation as such either.

This lad may need to invest in a good home security alarm and a bulletproof vest with his settlement.

A brave man. :eek:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/cyclist-hit-by-jeep-owned-by-sister-of-regency-hotel-victim-david-byrne-settles-legal-action-37860874.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

This lad may need to invest in a good home security alarm and a bulletproof vest with his settlement.

A brave man. :eek:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/cyclist-hit-by-jeep-owned-by-sister-of-regency-hotel-victim-david-byrne-settles-legal-action-37860874.html
    The Judge said the case was "an interesting one" which had raised issues concerning the rights of cyclists.

strange line that.

strange line that.

Yeah, it struck me as being strange alright. One would not think that the alleged intimidation of another was something that was 'interesting.'

• Advertisement

I wouldn't hold my breath for a pay out from her, CAB just seized her assets.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0227/1033262-maria-byrne-cab/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement