Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht v Ulster - The Big One

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ulster adopted Niall O'Connor off us and a kind gesture like that isn't forgotten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

bilston wrote: »
    No Trimble, Marshall or Olding this week but all three expected to be fit for Bordeaux.
    that would suggest much the same selection for friday's game as was put together for ospreys. from a connacht selection I suspect the only change will be kelleher for healy in the backline.

I do wonder how delahunt hasn't been given the opportunities I would have thought he would have been given. He is a serious ball of strength, his lineouts have been fine and he is willing to dig a ball out as well as anybody. He is not as good as Tom, but then few are. Would like to see Romaine make the bench. He is a talent yet to be given the opportunity.

Overall if Carty plays as well as he did last week and Jackson plays as poorly as he did, it could be a tight game.

anybody any thoughts on an aviva double bill for the provinces for all the interpro games?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

flogthebog wrote: »
    anybody any thoughts on an aviva double bill for the provinces for all the interpro games?

So Ulster and Connacht miss out on a home game every year? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No Trimble, Marshall or Olding this week but all three expected to be fit for Bordeaux.
    that would suggest much the same selection for friday's game as was put together for ospreys. from a connacht selection I suspect the only change will be kelleher for healy in the backline.

I do wonder how delahunt hasn't been given the opportunities I would have thought he would have been given. He is a serious ball of strength, his lineouts have been fine and he is willing to dig a ball out as well as anybody. He is not as good as Tom, but then few are. Would like to see Romaine make the bench. He is a talent yet to be given the opportunity.

Overall if Carty plays as well as he did last week and Jackson plays as poorly as he did, it could be a tight game.

If fit Henderson will come in for Ulster and I would reckon there is a good chance Bowe will start as well. We'll probably rotate at LH as well.

Alas I expect we'll see Cave and Payne again in the midfield but I'd stick LL to 13, Payne to 15 with Piutau and Bowe on the wings.

• Advertisement

Someone would have to give up a home match?

How would the monies be divided?

Would there be enough seats to satisfy demand? Say 40k for Leinster and Munster and 20k for Ulster and Connacht, that's 10k too many.

as an example, connacht in murrayfield didn't seem to be at a disadvantage for the pro12 final. the aviva is our big stage. everybody steps up on such a stage. so you get 7,000 into the sportsground this weekend, nothing like what you can get into the kingspan, and then the kingspan is nothing to the aviva. And while there may be four provinces in ireland we all follow each other with much interest. So what a fantastic day out for everybody, with no advantage to anybody. And if all the interpros were played there, then there is literally no advantage to anybody while simple being a spectacle. Everybody loses home advantage. But you get to see the best of everything in Irish rugby on a day out. And the fans get a chance to mingle and slag each other. Now thats an extra bonus :-)

as an example, connacht in murrayfield didn't seem to be at a disadvantage for the pro12 final. the aviva is our big stage. everybody steps up on such a stage. so you get 7,000 into the sportsground this weekend, nothing like what you can get into the kingspan, and then the kingspan is nothing to the aviva. And while there may be four provinces in ireland we all follow each other with much interest. So what a fantastic day out for everybody, with no advantage to anybody. And if all the interpros were played there, then there is literally no advantage to anybody while simple being a spectacle. Everybody loses home advantage. But you get to see the best of everything in Irish rugby on a day out. And the fans get a chance to mingle and slag each other. Now thats an extra bonus :-)

Not everybody loses home advantage. In fact unless you play the reverse fixtures there as well only one team will lose him advantage (strictly speaking Leinster do too but they play at the Aviva enough for it to be a home game) and that's either Connacht or Ulster.

It would make for a great occasion though.

Not everybody loses home advantage. In fact unless you play the reverse fixtures there as well only one team will lose him advantage (strictly speaking Leinster do too but they play at the Aviva enough for it to be a home game) and that's either Connacht or Ulster.

It would make for a great occasion though.
    all reverse fixtures would be played in the aviva also. i don't see any team at a disadvantage. its a stage for everybody to show how good they are. It also gives our up and coming players an opportunity to play in front of mental fans in a cauldron. What an experience for them. Also it reflects the pressures of international rugby. So everybody benefits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

all reverse fixtures would be played in the aviva also. i don't see any team at a disadvantage. its a stage for everybody to show how good they are. It also gives our up and coming players an opportunity to play in front of mental fans in a cauldron. What an experience for them. Also it reflects the pressures of international rugby. So everybody benefits.

So we'd never see Connacht vs any of the other provinces in the sportsground, Munster vs any of the provinces in thomond, Ulster vs the other provinces in ravenspan and Leinster wouldn't play Connacht or Ulster in the RDS.

I'd hate that

• Advertisement

So we'd never see Connacht vs any of the other provinces in the sportsground, Munster vs any of the provinces in thomond, Ulster vs the other provinces in ravenspan and Leinster wouldn't play Connacht or Ulster in the RDS.

I'd hate that
    we can't fit enough people into the sportsground for the interpros. munster have too big a stadium for anything. the kingspan is about right. the rds doesn't fit for the interpros.

hence the suggestion that we use our national stadium and fill it rather than stadiums that are not fit for purpose for these events

edit: stadia rather than stadiums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

There's been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about Connacht's injuries - Ulster's current injury list makes for grim reading -

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Franco van der Merwe[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] suffered a ligament strain on his right ankle in the win over Ospreys at the weekend. He is expected to return to play in 2-3 weeks.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Charles Piutau[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] sustained a delayed onset concussion after the Ospreys game and is not fit for selection this week.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Tommy Bowe[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] came through the game against Ospreys well and is available for selection again this week.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Conor Joyce[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] is recovering from a concussion and won't be available for selection this weekend.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Stuart McCloskey[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] fractured a bone in his left foot in the game versus Glasgow and it is estimated that he will return to play in 6-8 weeks.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Stuart Olding[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] has made a good recovery from a recent injury in the right adductor region and he is expected to play next weekend.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Anton Peikrishvili[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] suffered a left calf strain in training and it is estimated he will return to action in 2-3 weeks.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Sam Windsor[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] suffered a rib injury in a club game two weeks ago. He is likely to return to play within the next fortnight.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Luke Marshall[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] made a rapid clinical recovery from his recent concussion, but given his history of previous concussions, the decision has been made to follow a more cautious return to play protocol. It is expected that he will return to play within the next 2-3 weeks.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Andrew Trimble[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] is expected to be fit for selection next week following a recent toe injury.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Jonny Simpson[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] suffered a high ankle sprain (right) in the pre-season game against Exeter and he will return to play this weekend.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Chris Henry[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] is rehabbing well post shoulder surgery and it is expected that he will return to play in 3-4 weeks.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Ricky Lutton[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] is still recovering from a right adductor groin injury and should return to play in 1-2 weeks.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Wiehahn Herbst[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] is rehabbing well following groin surgery to repair an avulsed adductor tendon. His estimated return to play date is 4-5 weeks from now.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Johnny Murphy[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] has recovered from a groin injury and he will return to play club rugby this weekend.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Dan Tuohy[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] will make a welcome return to rugby this week for the Ulster A team, following his recovery from an ankle injury.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Peter Nelson[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] continues to progress his rehab following a left mid foot injury and surgery (suffered December 2015 versus Edinburgh). No return to play date has been set.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Marcell Coetzee[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] continues to rehab following knee surgery. He will arrive in the Province this week and he is expected to return to play in January 2017.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Iain Henderson[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] has a right elbow infection and is on antibiotics. He will be available for Friday's game versus Connacht.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Alan O'Connor[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif] has an illness and will miss the trip to Connacht on Friday.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Injury update from ulster, Piutau is out.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15293.php#.V_YlT4dwYm9

Edit: well feck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

No Marmion but Ronaldson back.

I'm confused as to whether I'm ecstatic or distraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That's a poor enough Connacht bench
    Blade vs Pienaar gonna be a massacre I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

KBurke85 wrote: »

Is Roux injured?

No Marmion but Ronaldson back.

I'm confused as to whether I'm ecstatic or distraught.

Ronaldson back is great but thought Robb deserved keep his spot
    Marmion loss can't be overstated, hopefully Blade proves me wrong

Also Ili on bench over Poolman?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Marmion AND Cooney out leaving a 20 year old Kerins on the bench and the struggling Blade starting. :(

Ronaldson in at 12 will ease some of the pressure of Carty and with our big playmaking 12 in place hopefully Bundee is able to get back to lighting up midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭testtech05

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is Roux injured?

Same question for Peter Robb, he lookes a bit groggy at the end of the game the last day and was being checked by DOC as the rest of the team left the pitch. Hopefully not another concussion but must be something to see craig thrown straight back in from the start....

Must say delighted to have Craig back though hopefully can stay fit!

• Advertisement

Do Ulster have 23 players left to field a squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

awec wrote: »
    Do Ulster have 23 players left to field a squad?
    injury update is some length! pack greatly depleted, looking like Henderson gonna be wasted in 2nd row

What size of a crater will be left if Henderson and Dillane end up running at each other at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Bazzo wrote: »
    What size of a crater will be left if Henderson and Dillane end up running at each other at some stage?
    Money's on Henderson
    Could finaly see Mathew Rea make an appearance also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Ulster team and replacements to play Connacht, Friday 7th October, Sportsground (kick-off 7.35pm, live on BBC2 NI & TG4):[/font]

[font=OpenSans, sans-serif](15-9)[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif]: J Payne (C); T Bowe, L Ludik, D Cave, C Gilroy; P Jackson, P Marshall;[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif](1-8)[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif]: C Black, R Best, R Ah You, R Diack, P Browne, I Henderson, C Ross, R Wilson;[/font]
    [font=OpenSans, sans-serif]Replacements (16-23)[/font][font=OpenSans, sans-serif]: R Herring, A Warwick, R Kane, K Treadwell, S Reidy, D Shanahan, B Herron, R Lyttle.[/font]

Both teams missing their first choice scrum halves.

CuFFigoW8AI-tmi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Bazzo wrote: »
    Both teams missing their first choice scrum halves.

Now it's got interesting.

GAME ON!

Diack and Browne in second row are both pretty handy lineout operators if memory serves. Seeing as our lineout has been misfiring all season without Muldowney(and now missing McCartney too) that could be a problem.

EDIT: Although we do have Andrew Browne back in who's a step above all of our other locks in the lineout.

Bealham vs Rodney gonna be juicy :)

Pienaar not playing is a huge relief gotta say

Andrew Browne back is massive as he does the Aly Muldowney role brilliantly and allows Dillane back to focus on what he does best - bashing lads on the Wings

• Advertisement

Connacht will win this.

Advertisement