Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Health Service Executive Says You Must Drink Fluoridated Tapwater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

weisses wrote: »
    It was already determined and agreed by many that fluoride works best when applied directly to the teeth

If one had to decide policy based on Cochranes review there would be No basis to start with fluoridation imo

Again why is its proven effectiveness in children not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

jh79 wrote: »
    Her appraisals applies to studies shkwing adverse effects too.

Which will not be included in a Cochrane review

Again why is its proven effectiveness in children not enough?

I already answered that

I already answered that

But seeimg as it has no proven adverse effects you have no justifiable reason to be agaisnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It was already determined and agreed by many that fluoride works best when applied directly to the teeth

There was a national discussion on this that I missed?
    If one had to decide policy based on Cochranes review there would be No basis to start with fluoridation imo

• Advertisement

But seeimg as it has no proven adverse effects you have no justifiable reason to be agaisnt it.

Plenty studies showed it to be effective for adults

Look what happened when a reputable group examined these studies

There was a national discussion on this that I missed?

I think you have to look beyond Irish borders

Perhaps its the reason the vast .. vast majority of civilized countries don't fluoridate their water

Plenty studies showed it to be effective for adults

Look what happened when a reputable group examined these studies

Ok but the studies are also reputable they are not bad quality by design but by circumstance.

I think you have to look beyond Irish borders

Perhaps its the reason the vast .. vast majority of civilized countries don't fluoridate their water

fluoridation of water is NOT what I was addressing.

It is high time a proper discussion was held on the best way to administer this 'treatment' that has been shown to be effective for some, and possibly all, of OUR population.

fluoridation of water is NOT what I was addressing.

It is high time a proper discussion was held on the best way to administer this 'treatment' that has been shown to be effective for some, and possibly all, of OUR population.

Yes and applying fluoride directly (topical) seems to be the most effective way to achieve that .... I think most people can agree on that, plus you can opt out if it is not to your liking ... win win

• Advertisement

Yes and applying fluoride directly (topical) seems to be the most effective way to achieve that .... I think most people can agree on that, plus you can opt out if it is not to your liking ... win win

Fluoridation is a systemic delivery system with a topical mode of action. The fact that fluoridation is proven to be effective in children suggest parents are not doing enough and it is therefore justified.

Fluoridation is a systemic delivery system with a topical mode of action. The fact that fluoridation is proven to be effective in children suggest parents are not doing enough and it is therefore justified.

Sure ... Now its the parents fault as well .... keep grasping at straws

We are down to 10% of the population benefiting from fluoridation

When fluoridation was introduced the vast majority had never seen, nor could afford, toothpaste, so it was probably the best means at the time.

That time is long since past ...... over 50 years now since it was first introduced ...... and peoples' living standards have risen hugely and I doubt there is now anyone who is not aware of toothpaste and dental hygiene.

It is well past time for a re-assessment of the delivery method to better target the vulnerable portion of the population.

Sure ... Now its the parents fault as well .... keep grasping at straws

We are down to 10% of the population benefiting from fluoridation

And why is that not enough seeing as it does no harm?

When fluoridation was introduced the vast majority had never seen, nor could afford, toothpaste, so it was probably the best means at the time.

That time is long since past ...... over 50 years now since it was first introduced ...... and peoples' living standards have risen hugely and I doubt there is now anyone who is not aware of toothpaste and dental hygiene.

It is well past time for a re-assessment of the delivery method to better target the vulnerable portion of the population.

And this can be done in parallel with fluoridation .

And this can be done in parallel with fluoridation .

Sure it can or not as the case might be.

The point is that it needs to take place.

And why is that not enough seeing as it does no harm?

No Harm ? Not so sure about that

Not so long ago it was effective in adults as well .. and now there is no evidence meeting the Cochrane criteria

I don't hold my hopes up when they are gonna look into adverse effects

Not so long ago it was effective in adults as well .. and now there is no evidence meeting the Cochrane criteria

I don't hold my hopes up when they are gonna look into adverse effects

So you don't think the evidence claiming adverse effects is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What studies are you using to indicate that there might be harm?
    What leads you to believe that there is any harm?

What about the claims made in the first post that are often repeated by anti-fluordiation campaigners? Do you think they are accurate or justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But even now, toothpaste and dental hygiene aren't always affordable by everyone, so there is always going to be some benefit. No-one has ever been able to show any harm. So there is no real down side to continuing it.
    The issue of removing it and replacing it are very low priority even if the arguments about it's effectiveness hold out.

However if it is stopped on the basis of unfounded fears spread by anti fluordiation activists, it sets a dangerous precedent.
    If people are able to stop something because they believe is complete and utter misinformation like as presented in the original post, then what's to stop them from outlawing vaccines? Or Wifi?

If people against it would stick with the points about personal choice and evidence for effectiveness today, then they might have a point. However most campaigns either promote or just accept the anti-science rhetoric because it is more useful to them.

• Advertisement

So how do we re-assess it ?

You think there would be a difficulty is assessing the efficacy of various delivery methods?

You think there would be a difficulty is assessing the efficacy of various delivery methods?

Depends on the delivery system, fluoridated milk / salt etc?

Look at countries around you ....

Like what was said earlier ... Dental care has come a long way since the fifties ... There are plenty examples regarding various policies in regards to fluoride.

There is even no evidence it benefits the poor
    We found insufficient information to determine whether fluoridation reduces differences in tooth decay levels between children from poorer and more affluent backgrounds.]

Look at countries around you ....

Like what was said earlier ... Dental care has come a long way since the fifties ... There are plenty examples regarding various policies in regards to fluoride.

There is even no evidence it benefits the poor

Insufficient means not enough. There is not enough evidence that it benefits the poor.

A study showing that ending fluoridation doesn't lead to an increase in cariers would need to be done.

This would have to me in one part of the country first and to meet the High Criteria on the Grade framework would take a minimum of 5 years, amomg other things.

You can't end a public health interventions proven to be effective in children on a hunch.

Insufficient means not enough. There is not enough evidence that it benefits the poor.

A study showing that ending fluoridation doesn't lead to an increase in cariers would need to be done.

This would have to me in one part of the country first and to meet the High Criteria on the Grade framework would take a minimum of 5 years, amomg other things.

You can't end a public health interventions proven to be effective in children on a hunch.

Uhhh again .. Look at the vast majority of civilized countries who are doing equally or better then Ireland and don't fluoridate their water ... Its not rocket science

Uhhh again .. Look at the vast majority of civilized countries who are doing equally or better then Ireland and don't fluoridate their water ... Its not rocket science

That's some turnaround from only accepting studies that rate "high" on the GRADE system.

That's some turnaround from only accepting studies that rate "high" on the GRADE system.

No it's perfectly in line with the Cochrane findings

remember the effectiveness in adults. ?

Remember Cochrane says there is not enough evidence to determine effectiveness. This means that there is also not enough evidence that it is ineffective. The studies are the same, cariers vs fluoride exposure. If fluoridation is ineffective why isn't this reflected in the studies?

• Advertisement

Using the Cochrane reveiw can you find a study that shows fluoridation to be not effective ie 0% difference in cariers / DMFT and could you also include its rating on the GRADE framework?

If you can't do this then you have no evidence that fluoridation is ineffective.

Advertisement