Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandymount Strand cycleway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Some more info. I couldn't embed the images where they should be in the doc but hopefully you will get the idea. If anyone wants to embed them correctly feel free.

I participated in a remote information meeting today for councillors that included the CEO and the head of Head of Technical Services, Environment and Transportation Department in Dublin City Council on the proposed ‘Strand Road Trial Rapid Deployment Cycle Route’.

We received the following updated information;

· To date they have received 1021 submissions and 80 emails as part of the Dublin City Council consultation which can be accessed here https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/strand-road-trial-cycle-route/consultation/intro/ or you can send an email to covidmobility@dublincity.ie. The Dublin City Council public consultation continues until 14th of September 2020. Suggestions from that consultation that were presented to us included the following;

image1
    · They are considering the following ‘alleviating measures’ which have come out of this consultation process;

image2

· According to their analysis of what has been received to date by them, they have explained that 65% of those who have responded to this consultation are in favour of the proposal and 35% are against. They summarised the ‘concerns opposed’ and ‘concerns in favour’ as provided in the consultation by the respondents as follows;

image 3

· The proposed trial scheduled to commence on October 1st 2020 is for 6 months but the trial time period could be reduced if councillors request such a reduction.

· They were at pains to explain that what they are installing can be put down rapidly and removed rapidly if the displaced traffic caused an increase of congestion along residential roads in Sandymount including but not limited to, Durham Road, Serpentine Avenue, Tritonville Road, Sydney Parade Avenue, Park Avenue or the village Green itself.

· Following a question I asked, it was explained that the rapid removal of any or all parts of the trial would be reliant upon new monitoring equipment they intend to install along the above roads as well as others.

· They also explained that the longer term proposal now known as the ‘East Coast Trail’ is not being abandoned and that it would involve the installation of a boardwalk along the Strand which would facilitate a segregated cycle lane that could see the restoration of a two way traffic system on the Strand Road.

· They are working with the NTA (National Transport Agency) and ‘TomTom’ data collated by the NTA to monitor traffic patterns and have detailed that traffic, according to their analysis, is at 70% of what it was pre-Covid in this area. We were presented with the following images of how they view the current proposal to impact on traffic in the area at peak AM and peak PM times

image4
    image5

· It was confirmed by the CEO of Dublin City Council that a final decision on the proposed trial would be taken at a meeting of Dublin City Council but it’s unclear which meeting that will be. Our next council meeting (which was postponed) is scheduled for the 14th of September 2020. It was also mentioned that the matter will be discussed at our South East Area meeting which is also on the 14th of September.

If you have any further queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to get in contact with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Seaswimmer wrote: »

· According to their analysis of what has been received to date by them, they have explained that 65% of those who have responded to this consultation are in favour of the proposal and 35% are against. They summarised the ‘concerns opposed’ and ‘concerns in favour’ as provided in the consultation by the respondents as follows;

524999.jpg

I love how two concerns - displaced traffic and access - have become five points. And the second one is a non-runner, from my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Well everyone enjoy their miserable morning bicycle/ public transport commute? Maybe the reality of the sh1t sandwich the Greens and Owen Keegan and Co have forced on everyone is beginning to dawn on you. Give it a while though because either the covid 19 will disappear in which case the traffic/ enforced cycling really kicks off - or covid begins to rip through the petri dish of public transport.

All bicycle loons should feel free to post in how much they enjoyed their cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Truthvader wrote: »
    All bicycle loons should feel free to post in how much they enjoyed their cycle

I just don't cycle on days like this. And sit in traffic for longer. Same way it's always been in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Truthvader, do not post in this thread again. any questions, DM me.
    everyone else, please do not respond further as Truthvader will not be able to reply.

8. Negativity

There are lots of places on the internet where you can have a rant about cyclists. This isn't one of them. This is a place for people with an interest in cycling to discuss cycling. If you treat it as a venue for holding all cyclists to account for perceived or actual misbehaviour by some, you can expect to find your access swiftly removed. In short, we are not your punching bag. If you really do want do want an answer to your gripe, do a search. The usual topics, such as cycle lanes, cycling two abreast etc. have been discussed, ad nauseam, many, many times before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As Covid Mobility Measures Push Ahead Some Say They’re Left out of the Loop
    https://dublininquirer.com/2020/08/26/as-covid-mobility-measures-push-ahead-some-say-they-re-left-out-of-the-loop

seems that some councillors are not happy that they're finding out about some of the measures at the same time as the public. the sandymount plans feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Effects wrote: »
    I just don't cycle on days like this. And sit in traffic for longer. Same way it's always been in Ireland.
    Days like this are exactly the days I used to love to cycle commute - far safer passing lines and lines of single occupancy cars. The type of day where there is no question which choice is quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Effects wrote: »

I do cycle on days like this - but its a miserable experience and that's with the best of clothing and a shower at the end of it.

It is however less miserable than driving or public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I do cycle on days like this - but its a miserable experience and that's with the best of clothing and a shower at the end of it.

It is however less miserable than driving or public transport.

Yes I get a real sense of satisfaction when I cycle in on the most miserable rainy mornings. Like giving 2 fingers to our terrible weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I don't like cycling in the rain. It's grand when leaving work heading home, but I don't have a shower.
    Ended up using a hair dryer at work on my jeans one time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

A massive Cancel Culture exists. DCC didn’t even shut the Quays down. This road serves the whole area. What next a blanket 30Kph limit across the whole city. They said St Stephen’s Green was only temporary and could be https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/118483148_1467807846737628_8881159135755515312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=4MNSASRNh6sAX9gYEfp&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d0d8aa3b0196985a68db0787addda118&oe=5F7452F5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

brucky wrote: »
    A massive Cancel Culture exists. DCC didn’t even shut the Quays down. This road serves the whole area. What next a blanket 30Kph limit across the whole city. They said St Stephen’s Green was only temporary and could be https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/118483148_1467807846737628_8881159135755515312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=4MNSASRNh6sAX9gYEfp&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d0d8aa3b0196985a68db0787addda118&oe=5F7452F5

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47iy3gtyvhbefcdfx4875sda69bum6mg1eqtkbxi2u&rid=200.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

What measure at St. Stephen's Green was only meant to be temporary?

Also, are you sure you know what Cancel Culture means?

A massive Cancel Culture exists.
    around these here parts, we call it 'Cancellara Culture'.

Advertisement