Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandymount Strand cycleway

Options
  • 24-09-2016 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Is there any plan for a cycleway along Sandymount Strand to join up with the Dodder path at Ringsend on one end and the Blackrock Park path at Booterstown at the other?
    This is one of the few places where experienced cyclists fairly often cycle on a pedestrian path, because the road is too scary - narrow and with heavy traffic.
    The pedestrian path by the sea needs (imho) to be kept for walkers, because it's traditionally a place where people walk when they're very old and when they're recovering from operations and illness.
    But there's plenty of room on the land side for a separated cycling path along the sea.
    When you leave the sea at the Ringsend end, there's a horrible road where people head for the Port Tunnel in cars and trucks. And on the Booterstown end you have to navigate the nasty Merrion Road. It would be great to get a separate cycleway section along there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Bit of info here of plans for the area

http://s2s.ie/maps/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

S2S plan (can never remember what that stands for) seems to leave gaps where I'm saying, unfortunately. Sorry for the terrible map; it's what is provided on their website:

397634.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Chuchote wrote: »
    S2S plan (can never remember what that stands for)

Sutton to Sandycove. smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

S2S plan (can never remember what that stands for) seems to leave gaps where I'm saying, unfortunately. Sorry for the terrible map; it's what is provided on their website:

397634.png

That looks cool, a couple of ramps and a good runup for the jump would make a nice continuous cycleway at Dún Laoghaire :-p

Bizarre not to make a section of the cycleway along the seafront at Sandymount; the road is dangerous, very few use the pavement on the sea side; there's already a walkway and a cycleway could be run in beside it. I can't understand why it's a gap on the map.

• Advertisement

My understanding of the map above is that it is showing existing cycle infrastructure. Everything not highlighted is to be completed in some form or another but yeah would love to see similar infrastructure along sandymount as is being built along the coast at St.annes

My understanding of the map above is that it is showing existing cycle infrastructure. Everything not highlighted is to be completed in some form or another but yeah would love to see similar infrastructure along sandymount as is being built along the coast at St.annes

Ah, that would be sensible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting to hear the ideas that were being bandied about as long ago as 1985 (i suspect this was posted before); we've not come a long way.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2013/0527/647427-radio-documentary-bicycle-bell-bike-saddle-jim-lockhart/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I cycle that road twice a day (for last 15 years) and twice a day for 4 years in the late 80's. I would'nt consider it dangerous.

If commuting at rush hour then the traffic is stopped or very slow moving. I keep well out from the parked cars heading into town and well out from the curb heading out. The only place I have ever had problems are at the mini roundabouts so I admittedly treat these with caution. But there are far more dangerous roads in Dublin. Look at Billyheads post re a roundabout near Swords..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I cycle that road twice a day (for last 15 years) and twice a day for 4 years in the late 80's. I would'nt consider it dangerous.

If commuting at rush hour then the traffic is stopped or very slow moving. I keep well out from the parked cars heading into town and well out from the curb heading out. The only place I have ever had problems are at the mini roundabouts so I admittedly treat these with caution. But there are far more dangerous roads in Dublin. Look at Billyheads post re a roundabout near Swords..

It's not so much when the traffic is stalled as when the traffic is beginning to jam and drivers are getting panicky.

• Advertisement

Cycled along this on Sunday again; the traffic was wojius, cars speeding along nose-to-tail. Most cyclists were going slowly along the sea side pavement. Locals say that for some reason there's great local animosity to any plan for a cycleway here; perhaps they think it would give the wuff working classes more access. I'd be more worried about the noise, fumes and poisonous particulates from the practically non-stop stream of two-way traffic on the Strand Road.

Cycled along this on Sunday again; the traffic was wojius, cars speeding along nose-to-tail. Most cyclists were going slowly along the sea side pavement. Locals say that for some reason there's great local animosity to any plan for a cycleway here; perhaps they think it would give the wuff working classes more access. I'd be more worried about the noise, fumes and poisonous particulates from the practically non-stop stream of two-way traffic on the Strand Road.

Wait until the incinerator starts up. Coupled with the on going issues with the sewage plant I think the Sandymount residents have bigger worries coming down the line..

Wait until the incinerator starts up. Coupled with the on going issues with the sewage plant I think the Sandymount residents have bigger worries coming down the line..

And the glass bottle site sdz!

Weird the way the most beautiful spot in the city has become our waste disposal site. It should be like Sandycove, only more convenient to town.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1026/827085-dublin-merrion-gates/

I will probably be retired and finished cycling before this happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Deedsie wrote: »
    Oh God the complaints will be deafening...

But at least it is a proposal. Great to see something being suggested.

Sad that Sutton to Sandycove is basically being shelved for good.

Earliest this could possibly be built is 2021?

There are so many inaccuracies in that article that I would wait to see any consultation document before getting too excited. S2S has for a long time been the urban section of the East Coast Trail and it, or something very like it, will still be needed in any plan.

There are so many inaccuracies in that article that I would wait to see any consultation document before getting too excited.

Didn't have to wait too long. The Dublin Cycling Campaign have posted the following link on their Website: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/nta-opens-consultation-on-ambitious-proposals-to-tackle-merrion-gate-bottleneck/

On first reading, the section out to and including Merrion Gates is pretty good but beyond there, they have accepted "the economic and environmental constraints" and opted for an inland route alongside or on the Rock Road. Plenty of time to read the full report and to make your views known to the NTA before the 16 December deadline.

Retirement provides way more opportunities for cycling than work does (unless you're a courier).

But I know what you mean :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1026/827085-dublin-merrion-gates/

I will probably be retired and finished cycling before this happens..

Retired, maybe, but finished cycling???
    On first reading, the section out to and including Merrion Gates is pretty good but beyond there, they have accepted "the economic and environmental constraints" and opted for an inland route alongside or on the Rock Road. Plenty of time to read the full report and to make your views known to the NTA before the 16 December deadline.

Environmental constraints certainly, the Slobs are a valuable wildlife terrain of vital importance to many species. I'd be out chaining myself to railings if there was any dream of incursion on it.

It would be perfectly possible to fit a two-way cycleway on the short stretch of road from Merrion to Blackrock Park.

At Sandymount Strand, it would be possible to widen the existing walkway to add a cycleway. This is almost the only place where I'd say a path shouldn't be shared but the walkway should be protected - simply because this is the accepted place for aged and disabled Dubliners to go out for a nice quiet totter along the seafront, and they don't need to be thinking about cyclists. The other option is to turn the footpath on the sea side into a cycle lane; few people walk on that, most walkers who don't take the seafront path will instead use the path fronting the houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A CPO on a section of the garden parallel to Blackrock dart station would enable a decent path from sandycove to Booterstown.

The path beside the road at Newtown smith in Dun laoighre as people keep to the house side or the promenade. And as such could be converted to a cycle path.

It's seems like an expensive option to build the fly over beside the church. Surely the could build it beside the gate and landing where the car wash is beside the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Retired, maybe, but finished cycling???

Environmental constraints certainly, the Slobs are a valuable wildlife terrain of vital importance to many species. I'd be out chaining myself to railings if there was any dream of incursion on it.

are you talking about the marsh, or the seaward side of the railway? I don't think a boardwalk along the outside of the railway would have much environmental impact (though I'm not sure how they would get any path back over the railway at Blackrock).

loyatemu wrote: »
    are you talking about the marsh, or the seaward side of the railway? I don't think a boardwalk along the outside of the railway would have much environmental impact (though I'm not sure how they would get any path back over the railway at Blackrock).

Don't think it would be feasible without a breakwater to the seaward side.

Waves and spray can often be in on the Dart line during a strong easterly.
    However it would certainly be a lovely cycle in fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Don't think it would be feasible without a breakwater to the seaward side.

Waves and spray can often be in on the Dart line during a strong easterly.
    However it would certainly be a lovely cycle in fine weather.

yeah fair point - a floating pontoon? :)

The area normally referred to as the Slobs is Williamstown Creek on the inland side of the railway. What has been dropped from the original S2S plan is a new walkway/cyclepath on a narrow reclaimed strip outside the railway. This would have provided a genuine coastal route similar to what exists from Dollymount to Sutton. The loss of this is a major negative and I find it very hard to believe the potential impact on wildlife justifies the lost opportunity for creating a first class facility. Many other major coastal cities such as Chicago have managed to create waterfront cycle facilities that are attractive to commuters and tourists alike.
    It would be perfectly possible to fit a two-way cycleway on the short stretch of road from Merrion to Blackrock Park.

That is what's proposed in the preferred option but it will be a lot less attractive to use than one with views over Dublin Bay.
    At Sandymount Strand, it would be possible to widen the existing walkway to add a cycleway. This is almost the only place where I'd say a path shouldn't be shared but the walkway should be protected - simply because this is the accepted place for aged and disabled Dubliners to go out for a nice quiet totter along the seafront, and they don't need to be thinking about cyclists. The other option is to turn the footpath on the sea side into a cycle lane; few people walk on that, most walkers who don't take the seafront path will instead use the path fronting the houses.

Quite a few sections of the Sandymount Strand section show a two way bicycle lane running alongside a footpath. I presume in the final scheme these could be at different levels as has recently been done on the new infill section at Dollymount. More worrying are some sections on Rock Road / Merrion Road where the bike lane is shown running on the inside of the bus lane at the same level.

loyatemu wrote: »

This marsh - the Slobs or Williamstown Creek - is the unique landing and shelter place for rare birds. I'd love a seaside cycle, it would be gorgeous; but my needs and desires are not necessarily the most important here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37775622
    World wildlife 'falls by 58% in 40 years'
    By Rebecca Morelle
    Science Correspondent, BBC News
    27 October 2016
    Global wildlife populations have fallen by 58% since 1970, a report says.
    The Living Planet assessment, by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) and WWF, suggests that if the trend continues that decline could reach two-thirds among vertebrates by 2020.
    The figures suggest that animals living in lakes, rivers and wetlands are suffering the biggest losses.
    Human activity, including habitat loss, wildlife trade, pollution and climate change contributed to the declines.
    Dr Mike Barrett. head of science and policy at WWF, said: "It's pretty clear under 'business as usual' we will see continued declines in these wildlife populations. But I think now we've reached a point where there isn't really any excuse to let this carry on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ay.......the lesser spotted, three toed, four eyed, nocturnal toad will put a halt to all this ......cycle path......carry on.
    :)

http://coastmonkey.ie/booterstown-marsh/
    Booterstown Nature Reserve lies right at the heart of Dublin Bay. This unique wetland is the last remaining salt marsh on the south shore of Dublin and is an extremely important feeding and roosting site for several different species of birds and as well as being home to 68 protected plant species.
    The reserve is also an invaluable a refuelling and resting spot for migrating birds including several long distance migratory species like Brent Goose.

Little Egret on Booterstown Marsh Picture by Colum Clarke

little-egret.jpg?w=825

This marsh - the Slobs or Williamstown Creek - is the unique landing and shelter place for rare birds. I'd love a seaside cycle, it would be gorgeous; but my needs and desires are not necessarily the most important here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37775622

The marsh (Booterstown Nature Reserve) is unaffected by either the current preferred option (a two-way cyclepath alongside Merrion Road) or the original S2S proposal (a walking and cycling route on reclaimed land along Booterstown strand). The Dart line runs between the marsh and the strand. Have a look at the maps in the report and things might be a bit clearer.

• Advertisement

The marsh (Booterstown Nature Reserve) is unaffected by either the current preferred option (a two-way cyclepath alongside Merrion Road) or the original S2S proposal (a walking and cycling route on reclaimed land along Booterstown strand). The Dart line runs between the marsh and the strand. Have a look at the maps in the report and things might be a bit clearer.

OK, am I right in thinking that the plan (if I'm understanding the map, it's not that clear to me) is for a boardwalk on the sea side of the railway line? That would be fine in terms of not disturbing the wild creatures of Booterstown and very pleasant to cycle, but as others have said, it could become dangerously slippery if it's wetted by spindrift or even waves during the equinoctal high tides?

Advertisement