Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Alldi have been holding Tescos feet to the fire for a couple of years now. ( RoI Tesco own brand prices are way less than their NI prices due to this ). Has anyone else noticed how lean they are running their fresh stock ? They will try anything to shake free of this Aldi stranglehold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

0lddog wrote: »
    Alldi have been holding Tescos feet to the fire for a couple of years now. ( RoI Tesco own brand prices are way less than their NI prices due to this ). Has anyone else noticed how lean they are running their fresh stock ? They will try anything to shake free of this Aldi stranglehold.

Used to be a big Aldi/Lidl fan, but after going Tesco find the fruit and veg lasts alot longer

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

If you look into the details of the scheme- its not great value.
    You pay a membership fee of (in Ireland) EUR10 a month.
    This entitles you to 10% off two shops to a maximum value of EUR500 a month.
    If you buy smaller shops- you get the 10% off the first two smaller shops per month.

To make this work- you need to be able to plan two large shops monthly- where you buy absolutely everything and don't need to go back between shops.

It doesn't apply to petrol, baby food, electrical goods, lottery tickets and a list of other items- but it does apply to alcohol (though you'd want to be one staggering alcoholic to get through 500 quid of alcohol a month........

Notably- it is not valid for online orders.

Aka- its a desperate attempt to try and shoehorn people into doing a few large shops instore per month- moving away from where we've been going for the last 15 years, smaller and more frequent shops.

The people doing their online shopping will be particularly pissed with it- as will people who spend a fair bit over multiple shops- but for whatever reason aren't in a position to spend 250 a go on large shops.

I can't see it working as a scheme- sure some people will gain nicely from it- however, the fact that you have to pay a membership fee to use the scheme- probably will be a massive turnoff for most people.

I don't shop in Tesco but I probably fit into the profile of an average family shopper.
    Say I pay Tesco €10 a month and do four weekly shops in the month @70 each, I would get €14 back... leaving me €4 up - plus various discounts received in the meantime. With larger families, the cashback would be greater... I'm sure there are lots of families spending north of €100 a week, who would be delighted with €20 back.
    It's not that bad of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

0lddog wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how lean they are running their fresh stock ?
    Yes their fresh bread section and in particular the rustic multigrain baguette for €1.10 is very nice but the whole section is nearly as bad as during the big snow. Empty baskets from early morning on and pot luck as to getting anything. Very frustrating.

Certainly won't be paying any monthly subscription. Generally avoid Dunnes as is with their overpricing to compensate for the 10 off 50 vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

We've swapped between the Aldi, Lidl and Tesco over the last few years and found there's about 10% difference between Tesco and the German two.
    Typical weeks shopping for 2 adults and 2 kids under 6,

Tesco €120-€130 with no vouchers

Aldi €100-€110

Lidl €100-€110

Dunnes €130-€140 with €25 off voucher

Find were shopping in Lidl more as the bakery is handy and generally the fruit and veg is good.
    Can't imagine paying a subscription to a shop which encourages to spend more, just reward shoppers with cheaper prices or extra clubcard points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I find that there is fresher dates in Tesco for normal loaves of bread and better variety.
    The dates in Lidl and Aldi seem to be 2 to 3 days while I can always find 4 to 5 days in Tesco.

I prefer shopping in aldi & lidl and only get specific items in tesco.

Bread is delivered daily in aldi lidl and Tesco with normal rotation of old to front, so are the longer dates a sign of more preservatives and additives in the bread rather than it being fresher ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,965 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I find that there is fresher dates in Tesco for normal loaves of bread and better variety.
    The dates in Lidl and Aldi seem to be 2 to 3 days while I can always find 4 to 5 days in Tesco.

Not in my local Tesco Express in D3! They will stubbornly not put out the bread they got in that day until previous days are all sold.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Bread is delivered daily in aldi lidl and Tesco with normal rotation of old to front, so are the longer dates a sign of more preservatives and additives in the bread rather than it being fresher ?

Lidl seem to put their own brand bread out every couple of days. If you go in on the day it's delivered you get 4 days on it but it's often less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bread on sale is it........... ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

You can freeze bread. Best tip for the next bread-apocalypse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Iv'e head M&S and Dunnes get Top picks then tescos then lidl/aldi which is why they only last a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Apologies for off topic

It is all very interesting, but the purpose of the thread is to highlight grocery bargains in Tesco.

We have gone way off topic

720g box of coco pops and Rice Krispies for €2.97

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is nesquik on sale too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

1kg of kellogs cornflakes 1.99.
    Its a savage big box!

and 1Kg of cornflakes for €1.99 or you can buy 450 g for €2.19!

494530.jpg

Edit
    overlapped with the Xterminator's post

Is nesquik on sale too?

What does “Nesquik” have to do with cereal ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cocopops + milk = Nesquik………?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Is nesquik on sale too?
    He was referring to these and yes they are half price in Tesco from tomorrow until the 12th.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276973594

Guy Person wrote: »
    He was referring to these and yes they are half price in Tesco from tomorrow until the 12th.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276973594

1/2 the size of the coco pops for the same money
    Feck that

• Advertisement

Some offers on Pampers Buy 1 get 1 free
    from tomorrow
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32755257
    e.g.
    IDShot_90x90.jpg
    €9.99 for 2 packs
    108 nappies for €9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Starburst minis 196g for 75c in Prussia st, D7

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Received in post, specific to me, 5x €10 off €45 weekly instore spend :)

zell12 wrote: »
    Received in post, specific to me, 5x €10 off €45 weekly instore spend :)

all i got was a poxy voucher for triple points

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I got a voucher for triple points and 5 x €10 off €50 spend, specific to me

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

All I got was my €9 in vouchers from my points...not another thing. Puts me off shopping in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Got 5 x €20 off €120 spend. Most I'd spend there would be €50-€70 a week so rather annoying they sent me ones with such a high spend requirement. I could probably use one of them to get some extra stock for Christmas but rest will likely go in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

audi02 wrote: »
    All I got was my €9 in vouchers from my points...not another thing. Puts me off shopping in tesco

Me too, I got no vouchers only my 7.5 euro from my points....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No vouchers at all here :( Are there certain criteria they're using to decide who gets them, and who doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I got 15 euro to spend (from my club card points) and vouchers for triple points. Think I’ll have to cut down my spending with them.

Advertisement