Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built my first PC, what games should I play?

Options
  • 16-09-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi everyone I just built my first gaming PC and I'm really excited to start playing a few games on it! :D I don't have much of a budget for the next while but want to build a list of games I should play. I'm happy to try anything really, just interested to find out if you had to recommend one game for me to play on PC what would it be and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Skyrim
    Fallout 4
    Starcraft II
    Civilisation V
    Far Cry 4
    Portal 1 & 2
    Minecraft
    Left for Dead 1 & 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Humble Store Sale currently on, so if you've got a limited budget, you can pick up a few gems on the cheap. There's even a €5 or less category with lots of great stuff in it.

FTL, Hotline Miami, Dark Souls, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Banished, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, Bastion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Portal 1 & 2 to get hang of keyboard and mouse for the 1st time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Links234 wrote:
    FTL, Hotline Miami, Dark Souls, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Banished, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, Bastion

I highly recommend Ftl amazing little game

Cities skylines is also a great one you'll loose countless hours playing it

Take a look at the humble monthly its a monthly pack of games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Civ V Complete is currently 92% off on steam.

Dark Souls, XCOM, Antichamber, Hotline Miami, FTL, Bioshock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What kind of games do you like, from your previous experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

specs plx?

And anyway- welcome to pc gaming, Your life has now changed. Lets start simple. I agree with Rebel. Get portal 1 & 2. Those two are the $****.

Setup an account on isthereanydeal.com and add a few games to your wishlist, say what you're willing to pay for them and they'll email when the price goes below that.

Don't be afraid to put everything at like €5, I know I do :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What kind of games do you like, from your previous experience?

Definitely no point recommending games until you answer this! I know you said anything, but surely you have a preference for genre? Racing, shooting, first person, single player, multiplayer, strategy, etc.

Great thing about PC is that there are any amount of amazing games available for very little money.

Website like Kinguin is a good place to get cheap CD keys for games - PC catalogue is so expansive and older games so ridiculously cheap that it's easy to get a game you'll sink 100 hours into for a few euro.

My recommendations if the budget's really tight, some are older but all have held up excellently and are a blast to play:

Strategy - Company of Heroes (around €3 new)
    64 player FPS Multiplayer - Battlefield 4 (around €8)
    More arena-geared FPS multiplayer - Counter Strike GO (around €8)
    RPG FPS - Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas (around €4 each)
    RPG Fantasy - Skyrim (around €10)
    Crazy random fun - Rocket League (around €10)
    Zombie FPS Multiplayer - Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 (around €5 each)
    Survival Horror - Alien Isolation (around €10)
    Action Horror - Resident Evil 5/Resident Evil 6 (around €5 each)
    Story driven fantasy/sci-fi FPS - Bioshock/Bioshock 2/Bioshock Infinite (€6-8 each)
    Action Single player/Multi player FPS - Any of the Call of Duty titles (about €5-10 for most apart from the latest one)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One of the ARMA series would be a good example of a game that really tries to push the limits of the PC, it's a big impressive war simulator that even if you don't play it all the time (it's really hard) it's fun to mess around with (it has a mission editor). Should be able to get one of them cheap enough now.

A game that shows how different PC gameplay can be. Banished. It's a (RTS) resource management game with none of the usual rewards. All you have to do is survive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If money is tight, there's a huge range of free-to-play MMOs about these days.

Minesweeper is good..

Minesweeper is good..

Not sure if the OP's machine is powerful enough but if it's a half decent gaming rig, Chip's Challenge is another gem well worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

crowseye wrote: »
    Hi everyone I just built my first gaming PC and I'm really excited to start playing a few games on it! :D I don't have much of a budget for the next while but want to build a list of games I should play. I'm happy to try anything really, just interested to find out if you had to recommend one game for me to play on PC what would it be and why?

Heresone I started :)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057635706/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Shadow of mordor is going for under 10 euro at the moment, it won game of the year last year.

Steam regularly has sales, i wouldn't suggest spending full price on a game, they go on sale maybe 3 times a year. You can get up to 50 percent off a decent title.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Kerbal Spaca Program
    Arma

Shadow of mordor is going for under 10 euro at the moment, it won game of the year last year.

Steam regularly has sales, i wouldn't suggest spending full price on a game, they go on sale maybe 3 times a year. You can get up to 50 percent off a decent title.

It's not even that good, it's a ****ty, gory, Assassins Creed, Arkham City mashup. That being said it has its moments.

Agree re full price, I saw somewhere recently that on average it takes a AAA game 7 months to have a 50% off sale, a lot of Indies launch at 20% off

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

Wow thanks for all the recommendations already you've given me loads to go on! I've played a good few titles on my PS4 already like Fallout, Arkham City, Shadow of Mordor so I don't see myself going back to those. I bit the bullet and got Witcher 3 Game of the Year Edition from CD Keys, small bit out of my price range but couldn't pass it up! Also going to get Portal 1 and 2 as recommended and check out some of these other games that were listed. I already have a ridiculous PS4 backlog so I can't wait until my PC one makes it ten times worse :D

I'm pretty open to most game genres except I'm not really bothered with racing games really! I could just list my favourite games in no particular order and it should give an idea what kind of stuff I like, they're a pretty random mix!

Timesplitters 3 Future Perfect PS2
    Sacrifice PC
    Final Fantasy X PS2
    Metal Gear Solid 3 PS2
    Last Of Us PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Sorry, make Spec ops: the line a priority. You can pick it up for a tenner ish. I played through it twice already and the story is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Thief (The Dark Project)

An oldie but a goodie.

If you're new to pc gaming you really want to try this one.
    Especially if you like Metal Gear Solid.

And Morrowind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Origin access is €4 a month and you get 37or so games of various types. Prob the best value out there.

You get a wide choice from shooters, racers, footy and puzzle adventure games.

Battlefield 3,4 hardline.
    Mass effect trilogy.
    Dead space trilogy
    Crysis trilogy.
    Dragon age trilogy.
    Fifa.
    Titanfall
    PvZGW.
    Need for speed.
    The sims 3

Older and indie titles too
    Banner saga
    This war of mine
    Medal of honor.

Plus loads more and free 10 hour trials of new titles.

Totally forgot about that. You honestly couldn't get better value for that money - hundreds of hours of gameplay in all sorts of genres there for €4 a month as long as you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There is just so much in pc gaming it's not even funny. Best part of pc gaming that it has no generations. The games I played 10 years ago I still own on same account amd I changed pc 3 times. So you can get some really good old gems from years ago cheaply amd play to your hearts extent.

Pcs have a big catalogue of great free to play amd mmorpgs games.

I would highly recommend:

F2p games:

Warframe
    World of tanks ( it's on ps4 too, but trust me, pc version is 100 times better)
    Hawken ( one of the best mech games out there)
    Armored warfare ( modern world of tanks)
    World of ships ( yup)
    Path of exile

We Got a grand dad off mmorpgs named wow. Look in to that. Newest expansion is fantastic.

So as for normal games:

Civilisation 5
    X com 1 or 2
    Darkest dungoen
    Space engineers
    Settlers 7
    Heroes of might and magic 6 or 7
    Starcraft 2
    Company of heroes
    Total Wat series
    Rust
    Spec ops the line

Lost goes on and on, but it's just from top of my head. Most of the games I mentioned can be gotten very cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Sorry, make Spec ops: the line a priority. You can pick it up for a tenner ish. I played through it twice already and the story is brilliant.

Another vote for this! Great game and story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

not to hijjack the mans thread - but is that a reboot of the original in the making? a phenomenal game was UT...started my love for PC gaming!

Shlippery wrote: »
    not to hijjack the mans thread - but is that a reboot of the original in the making? a phenomenal game was UT...started my love for PC gaming!

It's already available for play in Alpha. Very rough around the edges but some maps and gamemodes work 100% and are basically a modern update of UT99.

Facing Worlds is 100% functional the last time I played.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

Playing Portal at the minute.. the cake is a lie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Dishonoured, Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior are all well worth a game too if you haven't played them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Crysis Trilogy

https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/crysis/crysis-trilogy/crysis-trilogy

€20 when you use ORIGIN50 during checkout. - Limited time discount btw.

Install mods for Crysis 2. It looks glorious.

Advertisement