Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone managed to blow the main house fuse ?

Options
2»

Comments

BoatMad wrote: »
    The esb can't " force " anything. They do not set the electrical specifications for a house or what's installed in it. Stop just making up " fears " without any justification

What are you taking about ?

Sowers that heat the water are for the most part, extremely wasteful for anyone who has solid fuel or any other form of central heating.

In the Summer months I use the immersion on night rate.

It would be great if you could get dual showers that heat the water as an option only.

Most people that buy showers buy ones that heat water and don't even think about the hot water going to waste in the hot water cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

What are you taking about ?
    surely it's the ESB's job to provide a proper service ? as people change to electric they will most likely "force" them to accept 16 amp evse's and I find this completely unacceptable.

that , its an unfounded " fear" with no justification

Sowers that heat the water are for the most part, extremely wasteful for anyone who has solid fuel or any other form of central heating.

In the Summer months I use the immersion on night rate.

It would be great if you could get dual showers that heat the water as an option only.

Most people that buy showers buy ones that heat water and don't even think about the hot water going to waste in the hot water cylinder.

I power power shower on night rate , even cheaper ! and more efficient !!

BoatMad wrote: »
    that , its an unfounded " fear" with no justification

They do force people to get a 16 amp evse with a new EV , the 32 amp ones are not more expensive or at least nothing much. Sure you can spend the money and get what you want after but that's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

They do force people to get a 16 amp evse with a new EV , the 32 amp ones are not more expensive or at least nothing much. Sure you can spend the money and get what you want after but that's ridiculous.

sorry mad lad, force means you have no choice, you can quite happily choose to not avail of free offer.

your comments suggest that when presented with a free ice cream cone, you would complain that they forced you to eat it without a flake stuck in it !!!:pac:

I have explained why the ESB in presenting you with a free offer, have decided to limit it to 16 amps

No this is bull s*h*ite, if you want a 32 amp evse then you should be able to have it, I'm not saying the upgrade to 32 amps should be free but at least give people the god damn choice.

No this is bull s*h*ite, if you want a 32 amp evse then you should be able to have it, I'm not saying the upgrade to 32 amps should be free but at least give people the god damn choice.

you have a choice, you can refuse it and install your own. the technical reasons Nigel advanced make perfect sense in the context of the offer the ESB are providing

this is just looking a gift horse in the mouth

the esb is not there to festoon the country with domestic EVSEs, it was a particular offer and is number limited.

I fail to see your ire, here, in a short while the esb will have nothing to do with EVSE installations

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

0lddog wrote: »
    IIRC The max current that may be drawn through a standard domestic meter is around 50A so 32A by itself wont be a problem.

Keep in mind that cookers, immersions ( and even come types of shower ) as well as heatpumps can be significant power consumers

@KCross I dont have an EV at present - I rely on some really 'leccy hungry stuff ( e.g. I have a heat pump that likes to come out at night and suck blood to the tune of 25A ) and could see that if I had an EV then on a bad day night things could get really out of hand - thus my original question.

From looking back at the ESB form they show that a standard 12kVA connection allows 52A(averaged over 10mins), as you said.

The upgraded 16kVA connection allows 70A.

HP's should have a soft starter installed which limits their max current during startup and mine is limited to 32A with a running current of 22A and it uses about 2.5kW's when running.

So with car(6.6kW/32A) and HP running they would max at 64A (9kW's) but would settle to 54A (less as the car comes towards end of charge cycle).

So some HP's and a 7kW capable car would exceed a standard 12kVA connection.

So, either upgrade the connection to 16kVA or get a 16A EVSE.

Advertisement